Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New (to me) Ruger Security Six

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Who does a great Security/Service/Speed Six action job these days? Anybody?? I've acquired one of each of the Sixes over the past two years and would like to get some work done.
    With a great action job from a competent gunsmith, how close can an SS come to a Smith K or L frame?

I’ve always wanted to love the Security Six, but I could just never get past the trigger, so the three or so I’ve had over the years got quickly traded off.

Now I swapped a Glock for a 2 3/4” version and I’d like to keep & use it.

The SS can have a sublime DA pull. I prefer it to my K and L Frames but the L is really close.

Quote Originally Posted by timotab View Post
    The SS can have a sublime DA pull. I prefer it to my K and L Frames but the L is really close.
    How’d you get it that way? What’s the pull weight?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    How’d you get it that way? What’s the pull weight?
    I have a reduced power hammer spring in right now, it's about 6.5#, used a GP100 spring. I followed the Kuhnhausen manual for the trigger job. The only odd thing it required was to make a DA sear from flat stock. The factory was short so it would hand off the DA pull from the DA sear to the trigger with a lurch. I traced the old one and used a dremel to cut it out then files to finish. The pull is dead smooth with no stacking. I had the Bowen rear and a fiber front sight installed. It's so much fun to shoot now it's silly.
    Last edited by timotab; 11-15-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Escobar View Post
    Just adopted this Security Six, it is a 2.75" barrel...only dislikes are the small grips and heavy trigger...just ordered a set of Hogue Pau Ferro Woodgrips and looking forward to ease that mighty trigger and tame it...Suggestions are more than welcomed....Price was fair, compared with asking prices for similar here in my Country...
    Attachment 32129
    I went to THESE GUYS for hammer and trigger springs for my SP101. They also have them available for your Security Six.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelGunMan View Post
    I went to THESE GUYS for hammer and trigger springs for my SP101. They also have them available for your Security Six.
    My 2.75" Security Six has shimms from them and reduced power Wolff springs. It doesn't hold a candle to a professional trigger job but it's much better than stock and an inexpensive upgrade you can do yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    My 2.75" Security Six has shimms from them and reduced power Wolff springs. It doesn't hold a candle to a professional trigger job but it's much better than stock and an inexpensive upgrade you can do yourself.
    Won't argue that as I have never had a professional trigger job. I do know that the trigger on my SP101 is glass smooth since I did the trigger and hammer springs. I also added hammer shims that I think played a huge role in it.

Won't argue that as I have never had a professional trigger job. I do know that the trigger on my SP101 is glass smooth since I did the trigger and hammer springs. I also added hammer shims that I think played a huge role in it.
    I did it to my Gp100 and SP101 as well. Similar results, much improved but still a lit of room for improvement if you want to spend a lot more money. But good enough for me.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I did it to my Gp100 and SP101 as well. Similar results, much improved but still a lit of room for improvement if you want to spend a lot more money. But good enough for me.
    Hmmm....now you've gone and peaked my curiosity.... but not enough to part with any greenbacks.

My SP101 is a DAO. I can stage the hammer every time with a squeeze of the trigger. It is my favorite gun to shoot.

My Security Six has been glass smooth since day one over 40 years ago.

Hmmm....now you've gone and peaked my curiosity.... but not enough to part with any greenbacks.

My SP101 is a DAO. I can stage the hammer every time with a squeeze of the trigger. It is my favorite gun to shoot.

My Security Six has been glass smooth since day one over 40 years ago.
    let me say that I've never had a professional trigger job on a revolver but between knowing what goes into them and the quality of my results (and also the used 92 I have that the previous owner sent of to Earnest Langdon for a trigger job) I'm pretty confident that a professional that knew what they were doing and actually took the time to smooth out parts and get things just right would be much better than me watching a youtube video and installing different springs and shimming things to keep them from dragging. If there was a smith I trusted locally I probably would have dropped off a piece or two by now but it's not a priority.

User Tag List