Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’ve had mine for about a year now, and may have accidentally activated it one, maybe two times. But because it is in the low – medium - high selection mode, it always comes on in the low, so no heat issue.
    I prefer this sequence for EDC, as I can always get to the high mode with the button on the back using my thumb in a Hammer-fist type grasp.
    That change is something I should do. As it is now, I will not put it in luggage, as a fire on the ground or in the air is not high on my list.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So, I got an idea......

@David S. and I were gnawing on some vittles after a range trip today, and I had what I modestly consider a brilliant idea.

I have a buddy whose son is studying to be a CAD/CAM guy, and has a 3D printer in his house. He's made all sorts of complex sculptures and cool doodads.

I am going to ask him if he would mind making a little U-shaped hunk of black plastic that I could glue on, to act as the raised guard for my original Stiletto.

If he makes me one and regardless if it works or not, I'll post pics here.

My Stiletto Pro showed up at my door today and my initial impression is that I like it a lot.

It is about the same height as my EDCL1-T, but much thinner and the pocket clip allows it to sit lower in my pocket (bezel down). I like the controls a lot. The momentary switch on the "end cap" is great and not too easy to activate, and the mode switch button on the side is great for EDC usage.

I'll go out and play with it in the dark later to make a decision on the actual light output, but so far it seems great in dark rooms. It seems comparable to the EDCL1-T indoors in hot spot brightness, but it has solid wall of hot spot instead of a smaller circle. I'm interested to see how it does with throw as well, but that isn't super important to me for a light for this purpose.

The low mode is a little brighter than I'm used to, but I'll say its probably more useful for actually using the light for what I'd use it for even at the expense of battery.

The non-replaceable battery is my biggest gripe so far, but I'm sure they'll come out with a brighter version in the next year or two that I'll buy just because I want it before that ever really becomes a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    My Stiletto Pro showed up at my door today and my initial impression is that I like it a lot.

It is about the same height as my EDCL1-T, but much thinner and the pocket clip allows it to sit lower in my pocket (bezel down). I like the controls a lot. The momentary switch on the "end cap" is great and not too easy to activate, and the mode switch button on the side is great for EDC usage.

I'll go out and play with it in the dark later to make a decision on the actual light output, but so far it seems great in dark rooms. It seems comparable to the EDCL1-T indoors in hot spot brightness, but it has solid wall of hot spot instead of a smaller circle. I'm interested to see how it does with throw as well, but that isn't super important to me for a light for this purpose.

The low mode is a little brighter than I'm used to, but I'll say its probably more useful for actually using the light for what I'd use it for even at the expense of battery.

The non-replaceable battery is my biggest gripe so far, but I'm sure they'll come out with a brighter version in the next year or two that I'll buy just because I want it before that ever really becomes a concern.

Thanks for the review! I’m curious to hear more, and to hear how you like it once you get it outside in the dark. I have an EDCL1-T, and have been toying around with either getting an EDCL2-T or a Stiletto Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    Thanks for the review! I’m curious to hear more, and to hear how you like it once you get it outside in the dark. I have an EDCL1-T, and have been toying around with either getting an EDCL2-T or a Stiletto Pro.
    After playing around in the back yard a little I’m pretty happy with it. The throw on the EDCL1-T is definitely better, but not by enough to be a deal breaker. The Stiletto beam is about the same width as the EDCL1-T but the whole thing is the hot spot where the EDCL1-T has a brighter hot spot but dimmer “spill”.

As long as it doesn’t come on in my pockets it will definitely be the go to light. I really wish someone would make an OC spray with a similar shape/footprint.

Side note: If you decide you want an EDCL2-T shoot me a PM. I’ve got one in my night stand drawer that I could part with for a very fair price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've had a Stiletto for just over 9 months now. I've never had any issues with accidental activation.

Things I like:

- I like that it is rechargeable with a USB. I plug it in once a week in the office and it stays charged up.
    - I like that I can easily clip it on to the brim of a hat to create a makeshift headlamp.
    - I like having multiple levels of output. It was nice to have it getting to my blind for deer season.

Things I hate:

- It's hideously awful to use in conjunction with a handgun with my preferred light technique. (Rogers technique) Even with my big hands it's unsat. Harres is better but the rear button is still a pain to use even with that technique.
    - The rear button is awkward to use however I approach it. The wings designed to prevent accidental activation really just make it a pain in the ass to use it when needed. The button is small and hard to hit requiring me to dedicate a finger tip to pressing it and it requires a lot of force to reliably keep it on...which, again, sucks when used in conjunction with a handgun.
    - When using the rear button I often don't get the light I want. I'll get the strobe when I don't want it because I have to reposition my hand to get adequate purchase on the button to keep the light on, or I'm attempting to get the strobe and I don't.
    - The throw of the light is pretty terrible outdoors past 20-25 yards.

As a general purpose light someone carries for benign indoor use or in case they need to work on a car engine, 4 wheeler, or computer in the dark it's OK.

As a light for use in defensive applications I think it sucks out loud.

I have no problem with a light that has multiple functions but the problem is that every light that does a bunch of different things ends up with controls that are sufficiently complex that they are useless in anything but a relaxed situation.

What I'd really like to have is a light that is similar to the profile of the E2E where you could turn either the bezel or the end cap through a positive detented "click" setting that will give you a reliable setting. Low output, strobe, etc. This business of hitting this button part way and then pressing harder if you want a different function or hitting this button X number of times just so to get Y feature to come on isn't practical for people to use when important shit is actually happening.
    3/15/2016

I have had a love hate relationship with my Stiletto. Love the shape and concept, hate how it turns on in my pocket and falls out of my pocket.

Kenzie’s had the Pro for not much more than the regular model, so I grabbed one. First impressions are great — clip holds much better, the side button is recessed and it is covered in a grippy material.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The SF Stiletto has a 0.8" bezel and is 4.45" long.

If you're willing to go ever so slightly wider - 0.9" x 4.5" - I'd highly recommend the Eagletac D25LC2 as a EDC 'Slim Tactical/Utility Light.'

http://www.eagtac.com/html/d25lc2rcmkii/index.html

I've been carrying mine every day, IWB at the 8 oclock, and its much slimmer and more comfortable then other lights.

Shown here vs a Armytek Doberman Pro and Malkoff MD2 - both more in line with a typical Surefire 6P size.

The D25LC2 is pretty much identical in width to a standard Glock 9mm magazine body:

User interface is also very simple, identical to the old Foursevens Quark format.

Head Tight = Turbo (1100lm) + Strobe (1100lm)

Head Loose = Moonlight - Low - Medium - High multi mode.

--> With the head tightened in your pocket, the light will always come on in 1100lm Turbo mode, and an accidental double click will still have it in 1100lm strobe. (I wish there was no strobe, but its an effectively sickening strobe pattern).

The moonlight - low - medium modes are tremendous, especially in case of a power outage. On Low it can put out 60lm for 33hrs, and 225lm for 8hrs on Medium, using an 18650 battery.

My only complaints are that it cant use unprotected 18650's (so no battery compatibility with my Vape) and that theres a fraction of a second delay from when the light is clicked to the light turning on.

But overall I think its a good alternative to the Stiletto if you're looking for a slim but powerful light.

Wow that's a lot smaller than I thought. Looks tiny compared to the malkoff

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Wow that's a lot smaller than I thought. Looks tiny compared to the malkoff
    It has the same size reflector as the Malkoff as well; the Malkoff head is just absurdly armored:

Overall it's extremely size efficient. It uses an 18650 or 2xCR123's, and yet its the same overall length as the 1xCR123 as the Surefire EDCL1T.

Pretty much the 'Goldilocks' of size to capability for EDC.

I'm planning on buying 1-2 spares, in case they ever discontinue them.

User Tag List