Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round of of Glock grip modifications for carry

Round up of Glock grip modifications for carry

What are people doing to their CARRY guns (not race or comp) with respect to the grip?
    Stippling?
    Grip Tape?
    Silicon Carbide?
    Undercutting the trigger guard?
    Reducing the grip?
    Other?

Just curious what the consensus is (if there is a consensus).

EDIT: Title should be "Round UP of Glock grip modifications for carry". Anyway...
    Last edited by Speederlander; 10-21-2018 at 10:15 AM.

I was carrying a Gen4 Glock 19 off-duty, now it's a Gen5 Glock 19.

The only thing I do to the grip is to install the medium beavertail backstrap.

I've been an inter-city LEO for 26 years. I've had numerous occasions to put someone at gunpoint. I've never remembered how my grip felt afterwards, when reviewing the incident in my mind.

So one as the gun fits your hand and is secure within your grip, I think a lot of people overthink grip modifications for carry guns. For the size and shape of my hand, the medium beavertail backstrap combined with the factory grip texture on the Gen4/Gen5 Glocks works for me as is.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-21-2018 at 10:16 AM.

While I have carried stock frames in the past I prefer not to shoot them that way. I haven't tried the Gen 5 yet, so I might not have to do this any more. But usually I remove the finger grooves and finely stipple the frame, and undercut the trigger guard so that I wont get the Glock knuckle. Looking at the Gen 5, I will probably still have to undercut the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    So one as the gun fits your hand and is secure within your grip, I think a lot of people overthink grip modifications for carry guns.
    This, and welcome to P-F.

Folks who post here are pretty conservative on modifying carry guns, especially Glocks. I think that the Gen 1-3 Glocks benefitted from common modifications, especially reduction. There used to be a lot of threads here on grip mods, but they tapered off once the Gen4 guns came out and I think that the Gen5 guns will probably put an end to them.

I still find that stippling is important on the G43, though.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Depends on the gun/role. For me I need a beaver tail on my Glock’s to avoid slide bite. With the gen 4 (I assume the gen 5 as well) I’m satisfied to use a cut down medium beavertail, with a rounding/undercut trigger guard.

Gen 3, I really want more texture. My gen 4 19 has been stippled because I wanted to remove the finger grooves. But a stock gun isn’t going to limit you besides something like Glock knuckle hurting like heck.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    On Gen 3-4 Glocks, I buzz off the finger grooves and give it an aggressive stipple. Just preference. Not sure I’d bother with a Gen 5.

I’ve also undercut some and not others; I get why people do it but I can’t tell a difference honestly.

Gen 5 Glock 19, Gen 5 Glock 26.

I do not use any backstrap or beavertail and my grip is as per the factory. Being, a lefty, with size M hands, I have relieved the bottom left of the trigger guard to round off the edge very slightly. But that is about it.

My scores on the Gabe White standards were not affected in the slightest by grip or lack of same. My problem is always not using the "bumpy things on the top of the slide". I find the stock grip on my Glocks perfectly adequate.

No grip mods for me. Admittedly, I never warmed up to pre Gen 4 19 frames because of the way they felt. Perhaps I’d have liked them more if I did mod the frame.

Narrow hands, so a little undercut & rounding of the trigger guard makes a high grip more comfortable.

Rubber grip panels(Talon clone) on G42.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-23-2018 at 06:31 AM.

As much improved as the gen 4/5 grip is, I find it lacking for Single hand only use, particularly when it's wet or sweaty. Which this summer was often both. On my USPSA 34 after a match in the rain during which I dropped substantial points on a WHO string due to trying to shoot with a wet bar of soap. Since I was already messing with the frame I did all the other "comfort cuts" which I did find to be an improvement. Shortly after my carry guns all received the same treatment.

This has become my standard procedure for all my glocks

Medium beaver tail strap (on 19s it gets cut at the start of the frame hump)
    Remove finger groves
    Aggressive stipple with a wide pattern. (small patterns like dots and waffle tips make annoying shlocking sounds when moving a against sweaty bare skin during carry)
    Lightly sand said aggressive pattern. To where I can tolerate it on bare skin all day
    Undercut trigger guard where it meets the frame. To reduce glock knuckle and allow a slightly higher grip
    Bevel the edges on the trigger about 2/3s of the way forward. Reduces discomfort on my SH index finger

User Tag List