Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that still prefer picatinny handguards...

For those that still prefer picatinny handguards...

rather than keep hijacking this thread
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....idlength/page4

The complaint lodged there was first started with this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    Anyone shot one of these (or any upper with the Centurion CMR Mlok rail) enough to comment on heat from the gas block? One reason I like having a rail with 45 degree slots is that it allows more protection from the gas block when using rail covers, but the CMR rail has large vent holes in that area.
    the discussion proceeded, and I commented that my favorite handguard was always the "OG M4" handguard from Daniel Defense, which they don't make anymore. The dimensions of which were
    2.43 tall, 1.94 wide, 1.45 ID

DD does make a handguard that they call the "M4", but it's really just the old Lite Rail III with a new name. Dimensions of which are similar, but in 2018 it's hard to justify a ~$400 handguard.
    2.16 tall, 1.90 wide, 1.08 ID

Anyone that's known me for awhile shouldn't be surprised to know that I had a chart comparing handguards from a few years ago (prior to the Keymod/Mlok craze). there are a few of the keymod and mlok handguards I added there but nowhere near the number that are available today.

My preferred setup for a "quad rail" is to use:
    short foregrip like the Tango Down Stubby (anyone else remember cutting down one of their OG grips before they made the stubby?) or Magpul RVG.
    Larue Index Clips where my hand normally touches the handguard
    Magpul Ladder Panels on most of the other exposed slots

I like the plastic to be tan not because:tactical but because:Florida and a gun that sits in the hot sun is no fun to shoot.

I know that someone at this point is wondering why go to the trouble of getting all those slots only to cover them up. I'm sure to some extent it's simply because it's what I'm familiar with because it was the new hotness back when I was shooting 5-10k rounds a year. But I also believe that this combination gives me the best of both worlds in terms of comfort at the contact points, control of the forend, and dissipation of heat through the natural heat-sink ability of a picatinny rail.

anyone else still prefer the "quad rail" handguards?

Centurion C4 carbine cut-out for me and a Daniel Defense Omega X prior to that.

I just prefer the simplicity and strength of a decent quad rail. The higher weight and less pleasing ''feel'' don't really bother me.

Rob, I was recently discussing this with a mutual friend of ours. He brought up how his C4 handguard gets hot in a hurry. We were of the mind that someone (**cough **cough - know any engineers?) should come up with some manner of heat shielding. The old school A1 and A2 plastic handguards (the good ones anyway) had aluminum heat guards inside. Why can't the current free-float tubes have something inside to repel heat? Maybe even some kind of coating?

As for your question - I've never been a fan of fully railed handguards. I either had to wear gloves or put covers on them (to protect me and the rails) which added bulk and weight. Now that I think of it - the Geissele Mk4 might be the compromise you are looking for. It has rail at all 4 sides of the end, and on the SBR's I've seen they are at/near the gas block. May not work so well on a 16" bbl configuration, but with M-Lok you could find covers that insulate right?

Why are we still using handguards made of metal?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have a Daniel Defense EZ CAR 7.0 that came on a used upper I bought. It's definitely not the slim version. I've never bothered to put rail covers on it because I have become accustomed to wearing gloves while shooting rifles, years of running AKs with Ultimaks, but that's a whole lot of rail space for somebody like me that only uses enough slots to mount a light. I doubt I'll ever replace it on the upper that it's on because I didn't pay anything for it and it serves it's purpose. My other carbines and pistols either have skinny CAR hand guards or MOEs. I will say this, even in the summer heat shooting outdoors it does a good job of heat dissipation.

Attachment 31731

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Why are we still using handguards made of metal?
    It's kind of funny you chose the word "still" considering we went from plastic to metal.

But your point is well taken, except that so far I haven't seen anyone present a viable "plastic" free-float handguard for an AR that also allows the modular connection we're all used to.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It's kind of funny you chose the word "still" considering we went from plastic to metal.

But your point is well taken, except that so far I haven't seen anyone present a viable "plastic" free-float handguard for an AR that also allows the modular connection we're all used to.
    Didn’t you run a carbon fiber free float handguard for a bit? How was it with heat?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Didn’t you run a carbon fiber free float handguard for a bit? How was it with heat?
    No bueno.

Grabbed these pics of my favorite setup.
    Name:  080BD3F3-40CE-491B-B4CB-1AA1ACD80C5A.jpg
Views: 2400
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  7BAA655F-44CA-47A0-A844-C9E5ABB1E251.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  66.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Kinda funny, but I haven't really built up a full gun in a few years now and it shows in the handguards:
    • 16" BCM ML Upper w/ FSB & DD Omega X 9" ('09)
    • 16" BCM ML Upper w/ FSB & Magpul MOE handguards ('12)
    • 16" Franken Build w/ 12" C4 ('13)
    • 11.5" SR15 Upper w/ URX II ('12)
    • 18" SPR Upper w/ KAC FF RAS (Finished in '14)
    About the only thing I've changed is adding the Magpul XTM Handstops, upgrading from ACS stocks to MOE SL on a couple, and going to and upgrading the lights to Streamlight HL-X models . The guns all work for me, so I don't see much point in chasing the latest and greatest for now. I'd love to do a whole fleet replacement, but I'll upgrade when I've shot 'em out.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 10-26-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List