Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First .22 after ages, bolt or semi.(CZ 455 VS 10/22)

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I have one of those that I made into a reasonably OK rifle. The process was sufficiently expensive and time consuming that I now strongly prefer rimfire rifles made in the Czech Republic.
    For farting around at distance mine has been sufficient for me thus far but I did a fair bit of reading on upgrades. Scope bases, new bottom metal, bedding, even cryo treating the barrel. I've never gotten around to any of it but with the CZ Tacticool and the Ruger Precision Rimfire (neither of which were available when I bought the Savage) I'm wondering if I shouldn't unload it and get something else. I should just build a 10/22.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I have both rifles, several 10/22s and a 455. My take is that the 10/22 needs attention right out of the box. Unless you're looking for a military equivalent trigger, you'll need a trigger job or new trigger. A new barrel, or a set back and rechambering of the original barrel, is all but required. That said, once complete, the 10/22 is a great little rifle.

The CZ 455, on the other hand, is great out of the box. It's much more accurate than the 10/22, and the trigger is quite good.

What this comes down to is whether you want an accuracy piece, or a semi-auto rifle. If you need accuracy, for hunting or precision practice, there's no question, get the CZ. If you want semi-auto plinking, hunting, or carbine practice, get the 10/22.

It sounds like you're outside the US. If so, carefully evaluate your ability to make the mods needed on the 10/22. There are plenty of DIY trigger options, but it might be tougher to get the barrel work or replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I have both rifles, several 10/22s and a 455. My take is that the 10/22 needs attention right out of the box. Unless you're looking for a military equivalent trigger, you'll need a trigger job or new trigger. A new barrel, or a set back and rechambering of the original barrel, is all but required. That said, once complete, the 10/22 is a great little rifle.

The CZ 455, on the other hand, is great out of the box. It's much more accurate than the 10/22, and the trigger is quite good.

What this comes down to is whether you want an accuracy piece, or a semi-auto rifle. If you need accuracy, for hunting or precision practice, there's no question, get the CZ. If you want semi-auto plinking, hunting, or carbine practice, get the 10/22.

It sounds like you're outside the US. If so, carefully evaluate your ability to make the mods needed on the 10/22. There are plenty of DIY trigger options, but it might be tougher to get the barrel work or replacement.
    This pretty much sums it up. The CZs are great rifles, but obviously not a semi auto. I like plinking with a bolt personally, so they are perfect for me.

My 452 Lux with Tech Sights is my all time favorite rifle.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    CZ does make a semi-auto, the 512. It uses the same mags as the 452. Available in a variety of configurations, including chambered for .22WMR.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-31-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I own a 455. I’ve had the stock bedded, added a YoDave trigger kit, and have a lilja Barrel for it. With Eley Match, it’s an incredible thing.

If I were to do it over again, I’d buy a 455 again.

Thanks all for the feedback. I have decided to go the bolt action route. While the 10/22 sounds fun, we do not have barrel upgrades here and even spares can be an issue. So it would have to run with stock barrel etc if I went that route. I intend getting a CZ 455 synthetic, cutting it to 16", put a 2-7 scope and suppressor and run it.

User Tag List