Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig M11-A1 Compact vs M11-A1 ARMY Compact

Sig M11-A1 Compact vs M11-A1 ARMY Compact

Two questions, please:

1. What is the current state of Sig P-series quality?

2. If "good or better" to Q-1, what is the difference between the two models noted in thread title?

Thank you for your response.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 10-20-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    I think this is a good, fairly recent thread to read through. While there's some disagreement over what the conclusion should be, I personally think there's plenty of corroborating numbers to draw a conclusion:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?31611-P229r

Whether that applies to the M11 might be a separate issue.....who knows, they could be a gem in the bunch that hasn't been affected.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

M11-A1 "Army": https://www.sigsauer.com/store/m11-a1-army-compact.html

M11-A1: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p229-m11-a1-compact.html

1. I agree. Read the referenced thread discussing various folks' recent experience with their "P-series" SIGs. I trust my three SIGs: a P229R "legacy"; a P226R w/long extractor; and an old p225. I did need to change my P226R's two extractor springs early-on, but after that the gun consistently extracted reliably. My "newer" P226R and P229R guns were made in 2012 and 2013 and I wouldn't consider them "current". They're just the newest SIGs out of my three and the three SIGs I've got are the only SIGs in my little, limited experience.

2. I referenced the two models listed in the thread title and didn't even know about the "Army" version. Anyone can reference these webpages as I did. I didn't study the pages in-depth, but at a glance, it appears the "Army" version has a green-colored frame and lists for $55 more. I didn't even know the "Army" version existed.

It seems to me, at any time, SIG will come out with a model variant, in this case one with a green-colored-frame. Whether this is good business or not can be debated/discussed, but only SIG will know for sure and based upon its internal knowledge of its sales numbers.

I actually considered an M11-A1 when I bought my P229R. The factors which led me to my P229R were:
    -my local dealers didn't have an M11-A1 in stock for me to examine.
    -as I recall, pricing on my P229R "Legacy" model was less (I don't remember how much but it might have been ~$100).
    -the M11-A1 was using the later version of SIG's 9mm mags (the P229-1 aka "E2" mags) which are slightly larger and won't fit in the older P228 and P229 guns.
    -my P229R "Legacy" had the short extractor which I wanted as I didn't yet trust the long extractor since I already had to replace those two extractor springs in my P226R. By now, I read of some other owners' complaints about their long extractor guns. I probably just had an out-of-spec spring or two as my long extractor SIG has worked fine for thousands of rounds ever since.

Again, I've got very limited SIG experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Two questions, please:

2. If "good or better" to Q-1, what is the difference between the two models noted in thread title?

Thank you for your response.
    1. My personal opinion is that the P-series in 9mm flavors is GTG

2. The only difference in the M11-A1 and the “Army” special run model is the green anodized frame.

Of note, the M11-A1 is NOT synonymous with M11. The M11-A1 is Sig’s attempted to make a P229 look like a M11/P228. However, the M11/P228 as issued by the military has a folded sheet metal slide and the P229 has a CNC machined stainless steel slide that is designed withstand the 40SW/357Sig recoil. Thus, the P229 is about an 1.5 ounces heavier. The P229s slide is also a single piece while the M11/P228 has is a 2-piece pinned rear action which can be an issue for high volume shooters as the pin will need to be replaced.

Personally, I get a legacy P229 in 9mm and install NS and the SRT trigger myself if I was look for a 9mm P229 variant...
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-21-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    I own a M11-1 and like it. It has the SRT system and comes with 3 of the 15 round magazines and factory night sights (Meprolight). It has the one piece stainless slide. The only negative might be the long extractor. It is also a decent concealment gun similar in size to a Glock 19. I think Sig uses a heavier than normal hammer spring in the M11-a1 and MK-25 guns.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 10-21-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    1. My personal opinion is that the P-series in 9mm flavors is GTG

2. The only difference in the M11-A1 and the “Army” special run model is the green anodized frame.

Of note, the M11-A1 is NOT synonymous with M11. The M11-A1 is Sig’s attempted to make a P229 look like a M11/P228. However, the M11/P228 as issued by the military has a folded sheet metal slide and the P229 has a CNC machined stainless steel slide that is designed withstand the 40SW/357Sig recoil. Thus, the P229 is about an 1.5 ounces heavier. The P229s slide is also a single piece while the M11/P228 has is a 2-piece pinned rear action which can be an issue for high volume shooters as the pin will need to be replaced.

Personally, I get a legacy P229 in 9mm and install NS and the SRT trigger myself if I was look for a 9mm P229 variant...
    Or, find a lightly used P228 and call it good. They are out there, but you'll pay as much as the M11 clone.

I purchased an M11a1, already owning a 1990 West German P228. The may look the same, but they are not. As mentioned, the slides are different, stamped vs. stainless, and they essentially put 228 marked grips om the one I had

As far as enhancements, I did not think that the M11a1 had anything over my stock 228. To me, the balance was different also. I never got into it, and sold it off.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter

Slight hijack

Sorry for the hijack but since @WOLFIE mentioned being similar in size to a Glock 19 here is my question:

For those that have carried both a 229 or variant and Glock 19 AIWB do you find one conceals better? I know the paper numbers have the SIG being heavier (not so worried about that) and taller but how much of that height is in the slide? Being a little guy, just under 5’4”, I find the grip to be the hard part to conceal. How much difference is there in the actual length of grip that sticks out of the holster?

Again sorry for the hijack but I didn’t want to create a whole thread just to ask the question.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Sorry for the hijack but since @WOLFIE mentioned being similar in size to a Glock 19 here is my question:

For those that have carried both a 229 or variant and Glock 19 AIWB do you find one conceals better? I know the paper numbers have the SIG being heavier (not so worried about that) and taller but how much of that height is in the slide? Being a little guy, just under 5’4”, I find the grip to be the hard part to conceal. How much difference is there in the actual length of grip that sticks out of the holster?

Again sorry for the hijack but I didn’t want to create a whole thread just to ask the question.
    I think the 229 (M11-a1) grip is slightly shorter in length than the G19. The Sig slide is definitely taller.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I think the 229 (M11-a1) grip is slightly shorter in length than the G19. The Sig slide is definitely taller.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post

I found the Glock 19 to conceal better for me due to the flatter sides of the grip. Comparing grip/frame length (P229R vs G19) they’re pretty close. To me the grip of the P229 was a tad thicker even with E2 grips, particularly considering that annoying hump by the de-cocker.

Overall though the differences are minor enough it isn’t make it much harder to conceal the P229 than a G19.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List