Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK Info???

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    What about that Sig 556 in 7.62x39 that accepts AK mags. I Know nothing about the 556's track record, but that gun seemed really solid and well built.
    They're generally not well thought of. Over on M4C there are several threads regarding the 556 series and I've yet to see any truly good feedback about them (the rifles).

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    What about that Sig 556 in 7.62x39 that accepts AK mags. I Know nothing about the 556's track record, but that gun seemed really solid and well built.
    Not a chance I'd be willing to take, especially considering the excellent Kalashnikov variants out there (SGL-21, etc).

I currently have a milled Arsenal and stamped Krebs built on a Saiga. The only difference that I see on the milled vs stamped issue is wt. Both of mine function equally well, one has double hooked triggers while the other is single. No difference in the quality of the triggers. My next purchase will be a Rifle Dynamics in 5.45 based on a Saiga. Sonny P. (former Spetnaz) puts on a great AK class.

In 7.62x39mm variants, I'm actually a fan of the milled guns. That little bit of extra weight helps with recoil management IMO without being unnecessarily heavy. Plus the milled guns are just damn nice.

Templar has a real nice milled Bulgarian for sale. Was tempted to buy it till a screaming deal on a Hungarian AKM caught my eye.

During the Vickers AK class, I was able to shoot a custom SGL 21, and was thoroughly impressed with it's accuracy, handling and overall performance. While it was no AR, it really gave me a newfound respect for the platform and the cartridge.

For anyone seeking training on the Kalashnikov, Larry Vickers puts on a fine class.

I would bevcurious to see how Larry's class differs from Sonny's. Kind of opposites with similar backgrounds. Sonny does not believe in running an AK like an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I would bevcurious to see how Larry's class differs from Sonny's. Kind of opposites with similar backgrounds. Sonny does not believe in running an AK like an AR.
    Neither does Larry. But I've taken his AK class several times, so I actually know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    Sonny does not believe in running an AK like an AR.
    Combat marksmanship and the core fundamentals remain the same on both systems, just different manuals of arms. Not sure how you run an AK like an AR........
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 07-01-2011 at 07:32 PM.

I picked up an SLG from Rifle Dynamics to add to the stack. Been shooting them long enough that I figured I should have one to call my own. Guys that can run them generally run them fairly well. Guys that can't, well they revert back to an AR style that is ineffecient and counterproductive to the mechanism and manual of arms. And contrary to popular (internet?) belief, I have not found the majority of AK's I have come across to be the infallible, malfunction-proof machine many make it out to be. Quality manufacture to start with, along with quality, properly maintained magazines, quality ammunition, and a little bit of training are still required to get it to run right. LAV's class is a good place to start to find most of those.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I have recently bought AK from Rifle Dynamics. It is good....
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-17-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Unrelated link removed.

User Tag List