Thread: Mini-14 bolt stuck, and how to fix it

Mini-14 bolt stuck, and how to fix it

As some may remember from my previous episode of Adventures With the Redneck Rifle,the bolt on my rifle was diagnosed as probably needing a new extractor. Since then, the place that usually sells Ruger parts around here stopped doing so. I figured it was some paperwork hiccup, probably with U.S. export permits; and that with time, they would resume normal operations. That hasn't happened yet. As a result, the Mini has been sitting in my safe, untouched for quite a while. Now, I did clean the gun after the last time I shot it. However...

Today I got the feeling I needed to at least handle the gun, so I got it out of the safe and went to clear it. So of course the charging handle would not move, at all. I tried pulling harder, I tried gentle (this all happened indoors and I'd prefer not to gouge our wood floors) mortaring, I tried adding oil to the locking lugs, but it wouldn't budge. Field stripping the gun, I got it to the point where you normally remove the op rod but of course it still wouldn't budge. So before resorting to the usual solution of use more force, off to DuckDuckGo I went. Aaaaaand it turns out this is kind of a common thing with these rifles. What happens is that the gas tube and the hole in the op rod where the tube goes to start to rust together. Since I did clean said parts before putting my rifle away (although perhaps not quite to the level of military weapon inspections, which is pretty much how I clean guns once I start cleaning them), apparently it doesn't take much to get that rust started either. Solution to this is, yes, using more force. Ways other people got their rifles open include and AK-style stomp on the charging handle, a 2x4, etc. I used a quick whack with a non-marring hammer. That got the parts apart so I could clean off the rust and add a liberal amount of oil to the affected parts. Suggested solutions to prevent this from happening again ranged from cleaning the gun "properly" (apparently you really need to be anal about those parts, because I tend to be rather thorough with my gun cleaning) every time after use, to storing the gun with the bolt locked back. I figure for storage at least, adding a good dose of lubricant to the affected parts is probably the best bet.

Anyways, since I had never heard of this issue before, and since I know I'm not the only nut job here with an irrational affection for these rifles, I thought I'd mention this to y'all. Knowing this can happen hopefully prevents it from happening to everyone else’s rifle. (And please, let's not get into why the AR-15 is a superior rifle yet again - that has already been discussed ad nauseaum, and there already is an AR-15 next to my Mini-14 in the safe. The Mini is a fun gun to own and shoot recreationally with, but clearly in the reliability department does not hold its own against a LE920 or a good AK.)

Years ago I had the same thing happen. I think I hit the 2x4 with the hammer. I couldn't budge it pulling on it (wuz younger then..) but not much of a tap set it loose.

User Tag List