Thread: i would like advice on a rifle purchase

i would like advice on a rifle purchase

ptr-91 fal or model 444 308 sorter, imbel, pacific armament corp. im choosing between these two rifles. the ptr is basic rifle. the 444 has carry handle and an integral bi-pod. ptr $1,000 the 444 $1,500. im finding it difacult to find info on the 444, anybody with any knowledge or insight would be appreciated.

thanks guys!

In spite of the fact the Imbel has a purse handle and a kickstand, it's the better buy. It will hold it's value better and as it's a factory original riFAL, it may even increase in value. It was built to spec under license from FN. While PTR used original tooling they bought from a licensee, they did so without support from HK. Most PTRs have been good. Some have been problematic.

Personally, I enjoy shooting FN-FALs more than I do the HK or its clones. The FAL is softer shooting and recoil is easier to control. Ergos are also better. Factory FALs are steadily climbing in price and getting harder to come by. It won't be long before you are kicking yourself for passing up a $1500 factory built Imbel.

The best source of information about the Imbel built FAL the FALFiles. They're a bunch of characters, but no group of people have more knowledge about the FAL and it's variants

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-20-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

The FAL.
    I have had many FALs, since 1984, Belgian, 50.00, 50.63, 50.64, Heavy barrel. Springfield SAR 48, 4800 ( complete Imbel FALs imported by Springfield Armory). Many Imbel builds.

Back when 7.62 x 51 was $135 - $165 / 1000, I shot 10,000 rounds a year through these.

My favorite is a Imbel 50.63 clone (17.5" barrel, folding stock). Folding stock guns have all springs in receiver, no springs in stock, so much easier to clean after soaked in water. Also folder is probably stronger than fixed stock.

If you are going down to 16" barrels gas port may have to be enlarged. DSA extended safety is good.

Arizona Response "Gunplumbers Guide to the FAL is worthwhile.

User Tag List