Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The exercise study...

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Can John had an article that describes not exercising as leading to metabolic derangement. Awesome term.

I work out hard, enjoy wine daily and a cigar on occasion and if I drop dead tomorrow I’ll look good and be happy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Most of the people I know that have had open heart surgery are skinny fitness nuts who run every day.
    Most of the ones I've seen were not.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm guessing that you're referring to Jim Fixx and Euell Gibbons?

Yeah...it's not getting old that matters. It's how you get old and what you're still able to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Keith Richards proves that genetics trumps all else.

Everybody else, get your ass in gear!
    Fixx had the genetic deck stacked against him. An extremely fit guy with a bad heart is still a guy with a bad heart.

Getting old ain't a bad gig if you do what you can to stay fit and healthy. It can really and truly suck if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Fixx had the genetic deck stacked against him. An extremely fit guy with a bad heart is still a guy with a bad heart.

Getting old ain't a bad gig if you do what you can to stay fit and healthy. It can really and truly suck if you don't.

I watched my dad wither away in a wheelchair the last years of his life. I've been hitting the weights and doing some form of cardio since I was in college. I can't stop father time but I'm not planning to make the job any easier for him. I'll go down swinging.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I watched my dad wither away in a wheelchair the last years of his life. I've been hitting the weights and doing some form of cardio since I was in college. I can't stop father time but I'm not planning to make the job any easier for him. I'll go down swinging.
    I think we're about the same age. Our generation is the first to take growing old healthily as a serious matter. I think my wife's parents are pretty typical of their time - they worked hard all their lives, and when they retired they bought matching recliners and used them a lot. In contrast, there are a bunch of fit Baby Boomers, though the number of those who haven't yet gotten the memo is larger.

Site Supporter
    Problem is most people think they got Keith's genetics when they ought to be thinking they're Jim Fixx instead...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I think we're about the same age. Our generation is the first to take growing old healthily as a serious matter. I think my wife's parents are pretty typical of their time - they worked hard all their lives, and when they retired they bought matching recliners and used them a lot. In contrast, there are a bunch of fit Baby Boomers, though the number of those who haven't yet gotten the memo is larger.
    A year past getting a Medicare card in the mail. (Still can't quite wrap my head around that...but it beats the alternative.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Mrs. Tecum's love is the treadmill. She does 10 miles each evening (five days), at a 12 elevation. I'm trying to encourage her to do a few weighted exercises. She might like this, which makes it a candidate.

Abstract: “Heavy hands” walking. To make it effective, you have to pump your arms, determining which muscles are benefited by how high you raise the weight. Article goes into much detail regarding the benefits and nuances of “heavy hands” walking with weights of under 5 pounds.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...lking-workout/

Duces

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List