Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S Army switching to 6.8mm

U.S Army switching to 6.8mm

Just saw this pop up:

U.S. Army ditching 5.56mm for 6.8mm
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 10-19-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post

It's very interesting. I was expecting more like a .264 but I keep seeing this reported as a 6.8. I understand the AMU worked on this cartridge a lot. I have a hunch it is not literally the 6.8 SPC but a new 6.8. Or something.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-19-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It's very interesting. I was expecting more like a .264 but I keep seeing this reported as a 6.8. I understand the AMU worked on this cartridge a lot. I have a hunch it is not literally the 6.8 SPC but a new 6.8. Or something.
    Agreed - misleading thread title. 6.8 SPC does not meet the requirements.

They are not specifying the round, just that it be a 6.8mm. They are leaving the specific round open in hopes of getting something better than current offerings.

We shall see if this really goes anywhere. We have been down this road before and nothing has been enough of a leap forward to make it worth the massive expense a change from 556 entails.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-19-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Today in “who wants to place odds that Sig is going to get this contract too”

Site Supporter
    They've said stuff like this many times before. It's all talking heads BS and conjecture until I see that shit in my arms room.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My apologies - changed thread title to accurately reflect this.

I r dum

ETA: okay apparently I can change the title for my post but it doesn’t change the thread title...

@Tom_Jones if you would be so kind..

Last edited by HCountyGuy; 10-19-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

The article states that it's a "Prototype Opportunity Notice"

Just means "hey, we had a thought. What can industry do?"

ARDEC and ARL has been working on a 6.8 polymer cased round for the last....20 years....I don't think the Army is switching any time soon.

The cost and logistics nightmare alone would kill this...people bitched about the F35 cost.... HA!

The Army hasn't bought a new SAW in 25+ years because of priorities and cost. We'll switch from the 5.56 after we finish the phasers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    The article states that it's a "Prototype Opportunity Notice"

Just means "hey, we had a thought. What can industry do?"

ARDEC and ARL has been working on a 6.8 polymer cased round for the last....20 years....I don't think the Army is switching any time soon.

The cost and logistics nightmare alone would kill this...people bitched about the F35 cost.... HA!

The Army hasn't bought a new SAW in 25+ years because of priorities and cost. We'll switch from the 5.56 after we finish the phasers.
    I'd have to politely disagree. The scope and demands of the F35 project kept going wildly out of control because nothing like the F35 existed before, at all, in any kind of way. It was a Bugatti Veyron-esque situation where they had an idea of something, said it needed to do XYZ, engineers, figure it out!

Small arms are comparatively very easy. It'd be stupidly simple to build 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC conversion kits for existing SAWs and M4's. The issue is just classic big Army and Politics because nothing about using existing, proven tech in a pragmatic way looks good enough on a General's OER to get them another star. It has to look good for the cameras and wow uninformed people, which 'we're rebuilding our weapons to shooty bigger boolets and buyin bigger boolets' doesn't do.

Hell, just look at what a clusterfuck M855A1 was to get done, and the only reason that even happened at all was thanks to goddamn environmental concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

They are not specifying the round, just that it be a 6.8mm. They are leaving the specific round open in hopes of getting something better than current offerings.

We shall see if this really goes anywhere. We have been down this road before and nothing has been enough of a leap forward to make it worth the massive expense a change from 556 entails.
    Last year I met a recently ETS'd O3 who had worked on this project at the AMU. He didn't offer much other than "this cartridge is amazing". I got the distinct impression the new cartridge exits.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Saw something about this on soldier systems, they have to use a 6.8 projectile furnished by the government, but how it gets loaded and what cartridge/cartridge type is up to the vender. http://soldiersystems.net/2018/10/08...on-candidates/

User Tag List