Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 rounds of .38 or 7 rounds of 22 mag?

There is a reason why some people, cops, soldiers, protection folks - do not usually carry revolvers. We all know that handgun bullets suck, but high on the list of those that suck less are magnum rounds in .357+ size. So, if terminal efficacy were the only criteria in dealing with a “gunfight” then every cop would have an M29 on their hip, but they don’t.

People who seek out badguys foe a living overwhelming choose 9mm or .45 ACP semi-autos with as large a capacity as they can. And often those handguns are in support of a rifle or shotgun. Because multiple assailants is the norm for them. That’s their risk profile. And given that their choices make sense.

The question is - is the average accountant’s risk profile the same? The answer is no. But that doesn’t mean that their risk profile is significantly different either.

One way I evaluate my risk profile, is by studying the crime beat in the local bird cage liner and the notes released by the local PDs for my district. From those data, I’ve gleaned that armed (or implied weapon) robbery/mugging is most common in my area and it typically involves 2-3 perps (sometimes as many as five). So, I carry a multiple assailant gun (9mm STI) most of the time. My research also indicates that most of the time a weapon isn’t even shown to the victim, just implied and force is rarely used, except when there are greater than 3 perps. Then violence is almost always used. There are also specific MOs to each type of mugging/assault, which can allow you to better understand what type of attack you may be a victim of.

Anyways, all of this is getting a bit far afield of the thread topic. But it really does depend on you and where you are, when you do not go actively hunting badguys. Many folks are probably served just fine with a J-frane, but others are definitely “undergunned”. Given that you cannot predict your scenarios with 100% accuracy, the concept of preparing for the worst has merit. But that means you need to figure out what the “worst” is.

So what guns are the best for aged, injured or arthritic hands? The heavy springs on the .22's are awful. Way too much stress on my fingers to practice with. LCR recoil in .38 is NASTY, stings like hell. I've been moving into heavier 9mm's to get some relief. Are their any handguns that target those with limited hand strength?

If you don't die early every single one of you will have to face this issue one day.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    I've been moving into heavier 9mm's to get some relief. Are their any handguns that target those with limited hand strength?
    For about the last year and a half I have been shooting a couple of Ruger 1911s in 9mm, first the lightweight and then the target version, and if you are good with the 1911 it sure would seem like a potential solution. The slide spring weights are light and the triggers are easy and the recoil is very light, even with the aluminum frame.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    LCR recoil in .38 is NASTY, stings like hell. I've been moving into heavier 9mm's to get some relief. Are their any handguns that target those with limited hand strength?

If you don't die early every single one of you will have to face this issue one day.
    The .357 magnum LCR with factory grips and .38 wadcutters is soft enough my dad can shoot it. He has severe RA and tendon issues to the point some of his fingers don't move with the others. He decided to go with a larger revolver in .38 S&W with a bigger grip though, as it's easier for him to not have to close his hands very tight. There's not a lot of ammo to choose from in .38 S&W, though, and I don't think I'd recommend it if you have other options.

I think grip fitment to your hand becomes more important as mobility, pain, and strength issues start to set in your hands.

There are several handguns, like the Shield EZ .380 that are marketed toward those with limited hand strength, but I don't know anything about them other than the ad copy.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    So what guns are the best for aged, injured or arthritic hands? The heavy springs on the .22's are awful. Way too much stress on my fingers to practice with. LCR recoil in .38 is NASTY, stings like hell. I've been moving into heavier 9mm's to get some relief. Are their any handguns that target those with limited hand strength?

I have worked with multiple students with hand or wrist issues, most of them being older females. Anything with a heavy trigger is generally not a good choice, ruling out revolvers. However, a couple of ladies have told me that the way revolvers recoil is easier on their wrists. One uses two fingers on the trigger of an L frame S&W loaded with .38.

The above mentioned S&W .380 EZ seems like a good choice. Springfield XD pistols get a lot of hate here but my family’s experience with two has been 100% good. My wife is very recoil sensitive, but has no problem shooting her XD9. For a smaller concealment gun, a Kel-Tec P-32 works very well, with the caveat that the factory 9 lb. recoil spring MUST be replaced by Wolff 11 lb. springs to avoid failures to feed on the first shot. Adding a +0 finger extension and Crimson Trace LaserGuard really increase the capability of this little gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

The question is - is the average accountant’s risk profile the same? The answer is no. But that doesn’t mean that their risk profile is significantly different either...
    I’ve recently read (maybe from the rangemaster newsletter, @Tom Givens) that something like 74 percent of robberies have multiple assailants, and over 50 percent have 3 or more. Sobering stuff for the j-frame fan, and this is coming from a guy who’s bought 2 j-frames in the last 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

There are several handguns, like the Shield EZ .380 that are marketed toward those with limited hand strength, but I don't know anything about them other than the ad copy.
    I semi-convinced my dad to try one of these, after seeing one for myself at the LGS. He likes his a lot, and he is 82 with some attendant hand issues. They are extremely easy to manipulate.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter

The G42 is touted as a good geezer gun as well for light recoil, accuracy, and ease of use. My sister is an inexperienced shooter, has hand and wrist issues, but was able to shoot one of ours well. My father prefers other guns, but when he was in the middle of rotator cuff physical therapy and a broken wrist, was able to shoot it without discomfort. He got a pretty little Kimber 9mm aluminum thing that I found incredibly slippery. He could manage the recoil, but had trouble holding onto it for being so slippery.

Mom has a lot of wrist and hand strength issues. Her gun is a Beretta 21a. She can load it and shoot it. She isn’t too interested in shooting, and just wanted something that she could manage without trouble.

Site Supporter

Review of Shield EZ .380 by Karl Rehn

Part 1

Part 2

Just FYI.

Site Supporter
    So what guns are the best for aged, injured or arthritic hands?
    A shooting buddy in his late 70's is having problem with w/arthritis and recently picked up a Walther CCP. He says it's easy to rack and very soft shooting. His EDC is a Glock 26 and he's thinking of replacing it with the CCP once vetted.

I have not shot it yet and know nothing about it other than online reviews and his thoughts, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Part 1

Part 2

Just FYI.
    Very good information, but I will respectfully disagree with the author re: sights. Look at any randomly selected sight thread on this forum, and it will contain almost as many preferences as it has participants. A 3 dot sight setup provides good visibility under a wide range of conditions. As much as I like tritium, I prefer that my guns not come from the factory with tritium so that I am. It paying an extra $100+ for sights I will end up replacing. Some might prefer fiber optic, but again, supplying the gun that way just increases the cost of something that many will replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List