Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 rounds of .38 or 7 rounds of 22 mag?

Site Supporter
    Good point. That said personally I would just make a heavier gun like the 442 work for around the house if I decided I was tired of pocket carrying my G26.

As for an "everywhere" handgun I personally find all j frames big for that role and in the past have defaulted to things like the Kahr P380 after vetting it. I really think it and the P32 have made the small .22 autos obsolete if you find a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    How much is the equivalent .38? I'd think a 340 would only be an ounce or three heavier, and a lot more effective
    A Ruger LCR 5401 weighs 13.5 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This is P-F. Have you seen some of the 1911s in the gallery thread?

43c, 11 oz, mid-upper 500s.

M&P 340, 13oz, mid-upper 600s.

I paid more for my last Glock than an M&P 340 would cost, with judicious shopping.
    Herein lies part of the conundrum for someone like myself, who due to an injury, is counting ounces for a carry piece. My 442 weighs 14.7 ounces unloaded. I need to weigh it loaded to find out the total weight. But a few ounces can matter for some people. I’ve tried a kahr 380 once and my hands are so large it was very difficult to shoot. That’s why I’ve landed on the current question.

To get an ultralight j frame like the 340pd I’m paying around $850 compared to $550 for a 43c or 351pd.

I appreciate everyone’s input on this. There’s some very valid points on both sides.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Herein lies part of the conundrum for someone like myself, who due to an injury, is counting ounces for a carry piece. My 442 weighs 14.7 ounces unloaded. I need to weigh it loaded to find out the total weight. But a few ounces can matter for some people. I’ve tried a kahr 380 once and my hands are so large it was very difficult to shoot. That’s why I’ve landed on the current question.

To get an ultralight j frame like the 340pd I’m paying around $850 compared to $550 for a 43c or 351pd...
    I hasten to add that if health precludes a 442, then get the 351 or 43c and drive on. I will say this, the ultra light .22 J-frames feel like a cross between a 442 and a single potato chip. It’s almost comical.

Of course the LCP custom (not the LCP 2) is about the same weight.

As an aside, the folks I see as advocating for the .22 Js as an option: Claude, Caleb, John J, and Hizzie, if I’m reading this all correctly, all have a shit ton of rounds downtange. I’m pretty sure that I wouldn’t want any of them shooting at me with anything. Point being, if for some reason I felt it physically prudent to carry a rimfire, I’d also take advantage of the economic reality, and run as many thousands of rounds in practice as I could. This is, in fact, my plan save for the fact that I’ll be AIWBing something with a bigger hole in the end to and from the range sessions.

But, hey, facing the sort of state initiatives that I am in the place where I was born and raised (that clearly consider a browning model 22 or remington model 24 takedown rifle chambered in .22 short an “assault rifle”) I’m good buying a beer for anyone here, regrdless if they’re carrying a girly-man snub or not.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I don’t understand a lounging around the house gun. WhenI get dressed, my carry gun for that day goes on. It stays on until I go to sleep.

If injury was making me consider a .22 J frame, I would be quick to choose a Kel-Tec P-32. It hits about twice as hard if i recall correctly, has a lighter trigger pull, is small and lightweight, and recoil is negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I don’t understand a lounging around the house gun. WhenI get dressed, my carry gun for that day goes on. It stays on until I go to sleep.

If injury was making me consider a .22 J frame, I would be quick to choose a Kel-Tec P-32. It hits about twice as hard if i recall correctly, has a lighter trigger pull, is small and lightweight, and recoil is negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Like a brick through a plate glass window..."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I don’t understand a lounging around the house gun. When I get dressed, my carry gun for that day goes on.
    I do, too. On days I work, though, I often don't get dressed in the hours between waking up and putting on a uniform. I don't put on "real clothes" if I'm not going out of the house. Pajama bottoms, then exercise attire, then pajamas until uniform time.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I get around the whole lounging pants guns idea by simply having securely stored, easily accessed guns throughout the house.

If I want to lounge on the couch, then I want to do it without pokey metals bits that go bang sticking into me as I toss, turn, and generally act like a nuisance to my wife.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-21-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    43c, 11 oz, mid-upper 500s.

M&P 340, 13oz, mid-upper 600s.
    The weight difference will increase loaded.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I get around the whole lounging pants guns idea by simply having securely stored, easily accessed guns throughout the house.

If I want to lounge on the couch, then I want to do it without pokey metals bits that go bang sticking into me as I toss, turn, and generally act like a nuisance to my wife.
    I’m glad you added secured. I cringe when I read about people with handguns shoved under couch cushions and the like. The last thing I want to experience is coming home to the barrel of my own weapon.

For me personally I have dogs and am a big believer in having a weapon when I’m walking either of them so I need a way to carry for those 2 am potty runs. Slipping on cargo shorts has become my solution as I have a G26 and flashlight ready to go. I just transfer the Glock to my regular holster when I get dressed or to the gun safe if I’m not carrying it that day.

User Tag List