Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HST/GD 50R LEO Only

Site Supporter
    Maybe we need a new thread for the best non-restricted carry ammo available in bulk in each caliber for non-LEOs who want to practice with the their carry ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    "If you want to train with your carry ammo and don't like the idea of the price to do so jumping by nearly 300%, you should join the police."

To be clear, is that what you're saying here? I need to be 100% certain before I mentally log it to bring up next Pfestivus.
    I like how you put something you made up into quotes as if attributing it to someone else.

No. I am not saying that. You are misinterpreting my words. You are free not to like the price jump - I don't like the price jump. But I only know of 2 categories of people able to get free ammo. One is LE, the other competitive shooters who are sponsored. So if you want free ammo - those are your choices. Though to be fair, many LE agencies only give a small amount of free ammo for training. I'm one of many I know who buys his own by the case because I want to shoot more than 50 or 100 rounds a month.

Again - for clarity. Ammo makers can charge whatever they want. Customers vote with their wallets. You said they must be smoking something to charge those prices, but time will tell if they went too far. They don't care how many citizens have a CCL. They are a business, not a charity. It's not their responsibility to sell ammo at the price you or anyone else wants.

And even on P-F, most of us don't train regularly with defensive/duty ammo. We buy FMJ ammo that closely approximates the performance. Most manufacturers offer a training load that is the same weight and feel of their duty/defensive loads.

Last edited by Shawn Dodson; 10-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I realize that companies have the right to refuse service to anyone but I will not do any business of any kind with a company that decides that my non LEO status makes me asecond-class customer.

Essentially all of the major ammo manufacturers have this policy in place, enforced or not. Winchester, Federal/Speer/CCI/ATK/Vista, Hornady, and even Remington have policies like this. It sucks, but its the facts. They want to make more profit off the smaller boxes sold to Joe Citizen. I don't blame them for wanting to make a profit, but I don't have to participate in buying 20rd boxes either. When demand slacks off for ammo, and prices are low already, they have to try to make up the profit somewhere and somehow. I don't really trust the boutique ammo makers to hold the same consistency and QC as the big boys... and most of them are also selling ammo in 20/25 round boxes at inflated prices. It frustrates me to see it happening, but it is what it is. You really don't have the option to take your business elsewhere, if they all are doing the same thing.

Bottom line: If you find a good ammo you like that works in you guns, it pays to buy a significant amount to set back for the inevitable hard times, rather than a couple boxes at a time. It also starts making sense to stop chasing the latest greatest gear/gun/caliber/load and focus on shooting fundamentals after finding what works for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Well, they have fewer of them now. Free shipping over $99.

This is beyond ridiculous! Your average LE only shoots to qualify once per year,most don't even practice with their duty weapon. I run at LEAST one full 50 round box,limp wristing etc,testing for recoil, feeding etc. I run at least 250 rounds of FMJ in the same weight to test reliability. A policeman is still a civilian,albeit with much more privilege i.e. justifiable homicide. Why should I be punished for wanting to practice, especially since most departments (I'm assuming) buy their officers ammo?

I'll load up Nato ball before I pay those kinds of prices for what Vista sells.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    This is beyond ridiculous! Your average LE only shoots to qualify once per year,most don't even practice with their duty weapon. I run at LEAST one full 50 round box,limp wristing etc,testing for recoil, feeding etc. I run at least 250 rounds of FMJ in the same weight to test reliability. A policeman is still a civilian,albeit with much more privilege i.e. justifiable homicide. Why should I be punished for wanting to practice, especially since most departments (I'm assuming) buy their officers ammo?
    First, let's not turn this into "LE don't shoot much anyway, so why to they get to buy HST... ...or something." I understand frustration at manufacturers marketing policies, but let's try to direct the emotion at the source of the problem, not LE, whether they shoot much or not. BTW, I shoot twice a year for qual, and shoot 6-8k a year for practice (though most of that is certainly not HST). I get issued 200 rds of HST a year for work and practice.

Second, I find the "more profit" theory mentioned recently to be the most plausible source of the recent apparent crackdown on selling 50 rd boxes to "just anyone." I guess Federal, et al, think that they can make more money selling 20 rd boxes of premium ammo to the average shooter, and want to make that more prevalent. I don't like it, and certainly won't support their model with my purchases. But they need to see whether this marketing strategy increases or decreases profits. Only then will they reevaluate.

Third, Shawn Dotson has thoughtfully provided a link where we can get HST for $21.99/box. I've used it to increase my personal reserve. If you want more HST, I'd recommend that you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    First, let's not turn this into "LE don't shoot much anyway, so why to they get to buy HST... ...or something." I understand frustration at manufacturers marketing policies, but let's try to direct the emotion at the source of the problem, not LE, whether they shoot much or not. BTW, I shoot twice a year for qual, and shoot 6-8k a year for practice (though most of that is certainly not HST). I get issued 200 rds of HST a year for work and practice.

Second, I find the "more profit" theory mentioned recently to be the most plausible source of the recent apparent crackdown on selling 50 rd boxes to "just anyone." I guess Federal, et al, think that they can make more money selling 20 rd boxes of premium ammo to the average shooter, and want to make that more prevalent. I don't like it, and certainly won't support their model with my purchases. But they need to see whether this marketing strategy increases or decreases profits. Only then will they reevaluate.

Third, Shawn Dotson has thoughtfully provided a link where we can get HST for $21.99/box. I've used it to increase my personal reserve. If you want more HST, I'd recommend that you do the same.
    I was more referring to the reduced LE pricing and not shooting much,not necessarily the availability factor. How does it make sense to sell more at a reduced rate to people that shoot less? I would think it would make more profitable sense to have a price increase,while still being available to a broader market share. I shoot about 1500 rounds a year through my Glock 17 and about 2-3,000 a year through my carbine. Are you allowed to supplement your 200 issued duty rounds? To practice different POA/POI at different distances/positions?

Shawn Dotson has thoughtfully provided a link where we can get HST for $21.99/box. I've used it to increase my personal reserve. If you want more HST, I'd recommend that you do the same.[/QUOTE]

Thank you to Shawn for that link! That is my plan 🙂

User Tag List