Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size for rotomolded cooler?

I bought an RTIC and returned it. Way too heavy and cumbersome for our typical usage.

Then I bought a Coleman Xtreme for around $40 shipped from Amazon Prime. Lightweight and does a great job of keeping drinks cold, etc. You may want to take a look at those.

Look at the Yeti Tundra 50. If you or significant other are wine drinkers, the 50 will hold your open wine bottle upright and still close. For spouse and female guests who drink wine, the 50 has been very convenient for me at tailgates and at the beach. Also, even when full, one man can move it around and lift it into the back of a truck; it's heavy, but doable with one person.

Not much a fan of Yeti's politics: you may be able to find something comparable to the 50 from Orca or similar rotomolded brand.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

RTIC runs sales on Facebook. Usually as much as 25% off over $100.

Get one of these and a Rubbermaid with wheels. I use my Rubbermaid a lot because it is lighter and the wheels make it easier to move than the RTIC.

Coolers are like guns...you need specific ones for specific situations. One size won’t fit all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have two Canyon 22 coolers and a soft side RTIC cooler. My hunting buddy recommended Canyon. They got started making coolers for the Colorado river rafters. If I get another it’ll be in the 45 range.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    We had igloo coolers in Iraq. I bought three of the biggest igloos I could find for huricanne sandy and now use them parties. I filled all three this summer for a picnic. It worked great. One for beer, (5 cases?) soda and water. Once full they are very difficult to move (heavy). I need to find a smaller one with wheels
    Last edited by Poconnor; 10-21-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Site Supporter

Well, it depends...

"Ideal" depends on several factors: The number of folks using the cooler. Is it for just beverages or food, or both? How long will it be used? What are the expected temperatures? Do you have folks to help carry/move the cooler?

I have a Yeti 35, a Grizzly 40, and a Yeti 75. If I were to have to pick just one, it would be the 35 or the 40. Just remember, these things are heavy and get unwieldy when loaded. Best, ELN.

User Tag List