Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size for rotomolded cooler?

What size for rotomolded cooler?

I'm considering picking one up for myself, and possibly another as a gift for family.

What size is ideal? I've seen some ranging from approx 25 qts, 50qts, 60qts, 75qts, and even larger. I know "ideal" will differ based on individual usage, but perhaps for something more general purpose such as a day trip to the beach/river, a weekend camping, etc.

If it's a larger size that is recommended, would I be better off with for example 2x 25qts instead?

TIA.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I'm considering picking one up for myself, and possibly another as a gift for family.

What size is ideal? I've seen some ranging from approx 25 qts, 50qts, 60qts, 75qts, and even larger. I know "ideal" will differ based on individual usage, but perhaps for something more general purpose such as a day trip to the beach/river, a weekend camping, etc.

If it's a larger size that is recommended, would I be better off with for example 2x 25qts instead?

TIA.

I got a 65 and a 75 quart Yeti. The 75 empty is the most I want to moved around - not so much heavy as awkward with the weight (I'm not weak OK!). I find the 65 a better size for fitting in the back of an SUV or smaller vehicle. If it is you and the wife for a day trip, a 50 would be fine. Family camping on a long weekend 75 or even bump up to the 105.

I need to pick up a 105 for adding to the fleet for picking up a 1/2 cow at the butcher shop.

I have a Yeti 65 for the boat. It makes the perfect seat in front of the center console. It’s also at home for the back of the truck when traveling. Loaded, it’s definately a two person task to move without killing yourself.

I’ve look at and want a Yeti 45....because reasons.

I think the 45 is perfect for day trips, and the reason I want one.
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-18-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Consider ORCA brand. I'm not big on fancy coolers, but I think they all put out about the same quality of product.

They sell them where I work, everyone loves them. They have NRA coolers and seem to support gun rights. Yeti doesnt seem to.

-Cory

I think everyone ought to have a 20qt Roadie, of all the ice chests I have owned that one remains my favorite and most used.

45qt is about as big as you can get and still be handled by one man comfortably. To me this is the best size for medium portability/capacity ratio.

65qt is where you start getting into “leave it in the truck/only move it if you have to” territory. If you have made the decision to have an unportable cooler, the 65qt capacity is just small enough to be irritating.

Tried some of the knock offs over the years... they may have held ice as long as a Yeti but they certainly didn’t stay together as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Pelican 65qt was great through 18 months of rough usage as at OCT at FT Polk LA. I can highly recommend it. One of the Task Forces actually issues them to each OCT. Once it got into my HMMWV at the start of a rotation it stayed there though, loaded with ice it would have been a huge pain to move to and from my truck every time I came in for a refit.

Get a 35, 45 or 65. I have a Roadie 20 and could kick myself for not getting at least a 35. 45 is probably the best all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    For the usage you describe you don't need a rotomolded cooler. You won't really benefit from the extra insulation if the cooler is going to be opened a closed like a typical picnic / family camping cooler, and it will still take up more room and be heavier than a traditional cooler. Typically the coolers in this range will have 2.5-3" of insulation. That makes for a bigger & heavier cooler for the same capacity.

I have two 70 quart Igloo Yukons. I like having two coolers as we pack one with food, so it only gets open at meals, and the other with drinks and snacks that will be accessed more often. This way we get some benefit of the insulation for the food cooler. Also two smaller coolers mean each is lighter for carrying. That's a big deal when the cooler starts around 30 lbs. The 70 quarts size still get heavy when full and the combined capacity is really more than we need for a weekend.

Forgot to mention that Yeti is a little deceptive with their cooler 'sizing' - https://coolersjunkie.com/yeti-cooler-sizes/
    Last edited by JclInAtx; 10-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    My Pelican 65qt was great through 18 months of rough usage as at OCT at FT Polk LA. I can highly recommend it. One of the Task Forces actually issues them to each OCT. Once it got into my HMMWV at the start of a rotation it stayed there though, loaded with ice it would have been a huge pain to move to and from my truck every time I came in for a refit.
    After Irma last year, I almost spent $500 on a Yeti at Bass Pro because we couldn't keep anything cold. In line to check out I did a quick google search of "better than Yeti cooler" and found more than a few articles expounding the Pelican coolers.

I bought a 70qt Pelican for a little over $300 online. It's great. It is definitely a two person operation to move when full but it will hold ice on my back porch, out of the sun, for over a week(fill it Saturday for college football one week and we may the remnants for the NFL games the next week). That's even with getting in/out accessing beverages.

If the 70qt Pelican is too big for what we need, we have one of the Ozark Trail soft sided coolers that will hold ice & cold stuff at that temp for about 3-4 days.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List