Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: $900,000,000 Mega Millions

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    But, hypothetically, would having $300 million change your life that much more than $100 million?
    Yes. I could buy a higher class of island in the South Pacific. I could buy more politicians but there's better chances of winning the lottery than finding a higher class of politician...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The math is actually easy on these. Multiply the after-tax take by the odds of winning. It's logical to spend that many dollars on tickets. At the $2 price, we're not quite there yet. I might buy one anyway.

As far as the "what to do" question, I think "what to do" is a far, far better question than "what to buy." Then, let mission drive the gear train.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-18-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My question was somewhat tongue in cheek. But, hypothetically, would having $300 million change your life that much more than $100 million?
    Yes. With that much money I’d buy the Cardinals and sign Harper and Machado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d love a $100+ million windfall - but not like this. Being famous for suddenly having a lot of money is not a good thing in these digital times we live in.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I’d love a $100+ million windfall - but not like this. Being famous for suddenly having a lot of money is not a good thing in these digital times we live in.
    Don't sign the ticket with your name, sign it with the name of the trust/LLC/partnership/whatever legal entity your lawyer draws up, which will claim the prize for you. Most states don't allow anonymous winners, but if the prize is claimed by a legal entity whose only public contact is your lawyer, then that's effectively anonymous while still meeting the requirement that the winner's name not be withheld.
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 10-18-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    First thing you do is hire a lawyer.
    Second thing you do is hire a financial advisor.
    Then you get a mail box somewhere.
    Then change all phone numbers.
    THEN you collect your winnings.

If you have a chance to put this plan into effect, please let me know how it works.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post

If you have a chance to put this plan into effect, please let me know how it works.
    I’m gonna badly paraphrase Hans Gruber ; win $50,000, no one cares. Win the largest lottery prize in recent history, and you’ll be hounded to the ends of the Earth.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I have a philanthropic goal I'd pursue as well. With $900K+, I'd TRY to own as many guns as GJM...

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post

I different strategy as espoused by another immigrant like myself:

"In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.”
    Last edited by Paul D; 10-18-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I play if friends/co-workers play and the jackpot is huge. I figure the cost is insurance against horrible feels if they win and I'm stuck alone at work after everyone quits.
    I always say the same thing. A $5 investment to make sure I'm not the only idiot left behind.

User Tag List