Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: $900,000,000 Mega Millions

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    900 mil?

How much of that would you actually pocket as a lump sum?
    Who cares?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Who cares?
    Because it would change significantly what I could do with it.

Or dream about what I could do with it. Similar to RoyGBiv, my wife and I like playing the "what would you do with XXX" game.....
    Last edited by TGS; 10-18-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    It's now $970 million, with a cash payout option of $548 Million.

Site Supporter
    900 mil?

How much of that would you actually pocket as a lump sum?
    $548 Million, less taxes.... Figure 30% tax... That would be $380 million after Federal tax, thereabouts.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Because it would change significantly what I could do with it.

Or dream about what I could do with it. Similar to RoyGBiv, my wife and I like playing the "what would you do with XXX" game.....
    My question was somewhat tongue in cheek. But, hypothetically, would having $300 million change your life that much more than $100 million?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My question was somewhat tongue in cheek. But, hypothetically, would having $300 million change your life that much more than $100 million?
    Totally.

It would change how much I could invest in my local community and other philanthropic venues that I'm already involved in.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Totally.

It would change how much I could invest in my local community and other philanthropic venues that I'm already involved in.
    That's a great answer. Thank you for being that person.

It's funny, two minutes ago one of my co-workers hit me up for a couple bucks for the office lottery pool. I think this is the first time I've ever bought a lottery ticket, even by proxy.

As I was walking back from the bathroom, I realized if that much money landed on me, after I paid off the house and secured our financial future, I'd have to give most of it away.

Site Supporter
    In 2002 Jack Whittaker won what was then the largest single ticket jackpot ever. $315 million. He was already worth about $17M when he won the lottery. Things went downhill from there. He was robbed of over $500K at a strip club. Then his granddaughter's boyfriend died from an overdose at his house. The his granddaughter died from an overdose and someone dumped her body at his house. Then his house burned down. He's from a couple counties over and every few years he's in the news over some crazy shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_W...ottery_winner)

I’m almost positive that I’ve told this story here before, but: years ago, mrs Sidheshooter and I lived around the corner (briefly, we were renting) from a guy that won 5 mil in the state lottery. He was the owner of a large construction company, with a bunch of employees, so he already had the biggest house on the block. For him, it was just a few more bucks in that year’s net. He bought his n hers Cadillacs for himself and his wife, and put an enormous pool in the back yard. That was the only outward sign that anything had happened. Go figure.

Right out of college, I worked in this outdoor lifestyle store—patagonia, merril, etc—with this guy who had just started his senior year. He won 10k on a scratch ticket, and quit his job as soon as the money came in. It was just a dumb ass retail gig in the early 90s; the scratch ticket net was more than he’d take home working weekend shifts for 8 months, so it made sense. Never saw him again.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    In 2002 Jack Whittaker won what was then the largest single ticket jackpot ever. $315 million. He was already worth about $17M when he won the lottery. Things went downhill from there. He was robbed of over $500K at a strip club. Then his granddaughter's boyfriend died from an overdose at his house. The his granddaughter died from an overdose and someone dumped her body at his house. Then his house burned down. He's from a couple counties over and every few years he's in the news over some crazy shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_W...ottery_winner)
    I've heard stories like that about more than one lottery winner.

A less than charitable part of me would give $1 million to my ex-wife just to see how long it would take for her to be broke again.

User Tag List