Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magazines for Compact Pistols - Flat Bottom vs. Pinky Extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    g26 w/OEM +2 baseplate is the "sweet spot" in size/firepower/concealability on my frame + in my most common wardrobe. I carry a lot more regularly and with less compromise since I figured that out. I own 3 G19s so it's not for want of trying.
    What was the more difficult issue with moving up to a G19, grip length, slide length, or equally both?

I’ve tried pinky extensions on both my G26 and LC9s, but I prefer the flat base.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    What was the more difficult issue with moving up to a G19, grip length, slide length, or equally both?
    Grip length is just a little less concealable in a T shirt than I like. Slide length isn't really a factor.

For me the flat base plate or pinky extension makes no difference when shooting the gun. Where it makes a huge difference is on the draw. I find it far easier to get a full, confidence inspiring grip when the gun has a pinky extension.

My problem is on reloads. The pinky extension or mag extensions pinch my fingers between the grip frame and the magazine extension.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    My problem is on reloads. The pinky extension or mag extensions pinch my fingers between the grip frame and the magazine extension.
    Yup.

When I carry my G26 (which is most of the time) my in the gun magazine has a flat base plate, and my reload is a G19 magazine with nothing (I.e. a grip adapter or sleeve or whatever) attached to it.

Flat base plate on the in the gun magazine: if I'm carrying a small gun, I'm carrying it because I need a small, concealable gun. The G26 works well for me with the flush fit magazines, so there is no advantage to a pinkie extension and no need to compromise concealment.

Naked G19 reload: more rounds than a flat 10, pinkie 10, or 12 with a plus 2, less sideways bulk than a sleeve, and no pinching when inserted in the gun.

I have a couple of 12s, and if I'm carrying in my shoulder holster, or it's a lone gun on a road trip and it's on the nightstand, the 12 goes in the gun. Unless I'm in a 10 round state.

G42 gets carried with a flat baseplate and an 8 round spare. The flat base plates pinch just as much as the longer ones. Wife's G42 only gets used with a pinkie extension or extended mag. She has much smaller hands than mine, but doesn't feel secure holding a gun with no place for her pinkie.

P32 gets carried with a flat base plate. Just put a +1 base plate on a magazine to try it out. I have a factory 10 round magazine as well, but rarely carry the gun at all, and only do when I need the smallest possible thing I can get. Hence, I never actually carry it with the 10 rounder - just the flat base plate.
    Last edited by Duelist; 10-19-2018 at 11:48 AM.

My thoughts are this is highly dependent on each individuals hand size.

I wear a size M glove, but have generally stubby fingers.

For whatever reason shooting my G26.5 with 10 round flat, 10 round with a pinky, +2 OEM extension, G19.5 mag/G17 mag both without sleeves; all shoot about the same for me.

The G26 is my EDC, with the +2 for 12+1.

User Tag List