Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazines for Compact Pistols - Flat Bottom vs. Pinky Extension?

Site Supporter

Magazines for Compact Pistols - Flat Bottom vs. Pinky Extension?

I've worked with my Walther P99C enough that I'm comfortable carrying it. I ended up with four full-size magazines w/sleeves and three compact ones, two with the pinky extension and one with the flat base pad. I'll carry it loaded with a compact mag w/pinky extension in the gun and a full-size mag w/sleeve as a spare.

I've found that there's no discernable difference in my shooting with the FS mags and the ones with the pinky extension, but the one with the flat bottom slows me down. At this point, the flat-bottomed one is relegated to LAMR status. I've read that some folks like the flat-bottom mags for pocket carry, but the Walther's too big for that.

Am I missing something, or is the flat-bottomed mag really at a tits-on-a-boar level of usefulness?
    Last edited by revchuck38; 10-18-2018 at 04:58 AM.

My G42 feels more solid with the pinky rest baseplate magazines than with the flat ones. I suspect splits are a bit faster but I don’t have data yet.
    I was surprised at how much more secure it feels with a magazine with a GeePlate compared to the standard flat baseplate. Not as good as the pinky rest but a definite improvement.
    I suspect that the more powerful cartridge in the P99l amplifies the difference between the magazine lengths.
    The flat-bottom magazine does print a bit less than the pinky rest when carrying IWB. On a small person it might be enough to matter.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-18-2018 at 06:08 AM.

I agree here, and in IWB carry, the extensions do not print any more or less than flat bottoms. The only time I carry flat bottom ultra compact mags are for pocket carry, and even then it’s rare.

As to more powerful rounds...try shooting a full power 10mm round through a Glock 29 with the factory magazines...possible - of course. Preferable - absolutely not! Just the simple addition of Pearce pinky extensions makes a HUGE difference in shot placement and greatly reduces reset between shots.

In my experience and for my hands......

P-32: Flat base works fine

LCP- Don't like the flat base, Pinky plate all the way

G-27: OK with flat base as it's how I carry it, love it with a G-23 mag though

G-29: Don't like the flat base, do like the Pearce pinky plate, do not like the Pearce +1

G-30: 9rd mag OK, 10rd mag better

It definitely pays to experiment.

YMMV,
    Keith

I carry my 26 with the stock base plate. I have used the GAP plates in the past. I dont see any difference in accuracy or times with the plates so I just returned them to stock. All of the Pearce plates always pinch my pinky.

I am a big fan of the GAP base plates (unavailable last I checked, but GeePlates are now available).
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I shoot my G26 the same no matter which length mag is slapped into it.

So for me, my hands, my body, and my G26 I look at the mags as capacity VS concealability (appendix carry).

10 rounds: Light T Shirt Wear

12 rounds (10 rounder with factory extension): Heavier T shirt wear

15 rounds: Button-up shirts

17 rounds: Depends, some button-ups conceal it fine, sometimes it's only for sweaters

*NOTE: I don't use mag sleeves for any of these mags. I wouldn't be opposed to trying them at some point though.*

Currently my spare mag rides in a pocket so it's capacity is dependent on how long my pockets are, I plan on getting a Dark Star mag carrier for Christmas though so this will evolve.

Hope this is helpful!
    Last edited by Tyrok; 10-18-2018 at 07:51 AM.

I have some pinky-placers/extenders on spare mags for subcompacts. The only reason is to improve draw from the pouch and handling to the gun. While shooting the micros, my pinky is the mostly the root of all evil and I curl it below the mag.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-18-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've worked with my Walther P99C enough that I'm comfortable carrying it. I ended up with four full-size magazines w/sleeves and three compact ones, two with the pinky extension and one with the flat base pad. I'll carry it loaded with a compact mag w/pinky extension in the gun and a full-size mag w/sleeve as a spare.

I've found that there's no discernable difference in my shooting with the FS mags and the ones with the pinky extension, but the one with the flat bottom slows me down. At this point, the flat-bottomed one is relegated to LAMR status. I've read that some folks like the flat-bottom mags for pocket carry, but the Walther's too big for that.

Am I missing something, or is the flat-bottomed mag really at a tits-on-a-boar level of usefulness?
    You have perfectly done what I would do! Test a product, in this case a magazine floor plate, and decided what works for you. Then go with what works for you. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Weirdly when I had my G26 my draw and hits were both better with the flat mag than with the factory +2. Not massively but consistently a little better, despite the +2 feeling so much better.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List