Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazines for Compact Pistols - Flat Bottom vs. Pinky Extension?

Everyone's different.

Me?

With a G26 or 43 I shoot them the same and maybe even more accurate slow fire with the flat base.

Getting it out of the holster and pressed out is easier/more consistent with a pinky extension.

This thread is timely as I am taking receipt of a P2000sk very soon. The standard 10 round mags have pinky extensions on them but flat base plates are available. I'm wondering if concealment will suffer with the extensions. When I had a G26 I certainly liked the Pearce extensions but found that they did print more than flat base plates but I did not carry AIWB back then. I'm curious to see how things shake out with the P2000sk. I'm sure holster selection is key.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

Getting it out of the holster and pressed out is easier/more consistent with a pinky extension.
    Same; which is why I usually use +0 or OEM +2 extensions on my G26, OEM +0 extensions in my 43.

P2000SK... pinkie plates cramp my hand. I'm better with my pinkie off the grip and under the mag.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Same; which is why I usually use +0 or OEM +2 extensions on my G26, OEM +0 extensions in my 43.
    Same here. It's probably something I could train for and overcome, but since the Walther is going to be a secondary carry gun for when I need something smaller due to dress, I'm not sure it'd be a good use of training time.

Site Supporter
    In most cases I prefer a flat bottom magazine, as long as I can get two full fingers around the grip.

If I am carrying my Glock 26, it is probably because I need or want something that prints considerably less than a G19,or something that can fit in a pocket that the G19 will not fit. That means I need a flat base plate. The finger grooves on a G26 fit my fingers perfectly, so I have a solid hold even with only 2 fingers.

For my Kel-Tec P-32, i do not need finger extensions despite the 1 1/2 finger grip. However, my wife is more likely than me to carry this gun right now, so I do have +0 finger extensions on its magazines. With a Crimson Trace LaserGuard, the extra grip length can help.

With a Kel-Tec P3AT, the gun will shift in my hand with every shot without a finger extension. I can only get 1 1/2 fingers around the grip, and a Crimson Trace LaserGuard leaves even less frontstrap area. +0 extensions help considerably.

I use +0 rather than +1 with the Kel-Tecs because I find they are quieter, and also do a better job of improving my grip.

Hmm. I seem to be able to draw and shoot my Glock 26’s with the flat baseplates just fine.. I think people give up on them too soon and just end up on the long, exhausting adventure of contemplating the pros and cons that are mostly in their minds.

When people ask for my advice, I just tell them to practice more and shoot the gun the way it was designed to be shot.

If guns suddenly only came with two-finger grips would everyone quit shooting or would they adapt and move on to bigger things?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Hmm. I seem to be able to draw and shoot my Glock 26’s with the flat baseplates just fine.. I think people give up on them too soon and just end up on the long, exhausting adventure of contemplating the pros and cons that are mostly in their minds.

g26 w/OEM +2 baseplate is the "sweet spot" in size/firepower/concealability on my frame + in my most common wardrobe. I carry a lot more regularly and with less compromise since I figured that out. I own 3 G19s so it's not for want of trying.

I found that I had a much easier time with both drawing and maintaining control over the gun while shooting quickly with the pinky extension mags on my P99c, and back when S&W was acting as Walther's importer, you could get either style baseplate for $2.08, so I bought 3, which made all 6 of the mags I have for the gun have pinky extension plates. I eventually gave away the flat ones to somebody on the Walther forum who wanted them, so there's no going back for me. I never found the pinky extension plates to be a significant concealment problem; others' mileage may of course vary.
    Last edited by olstyn; 10-19-2018 at 06:01 AM. Reason: oops, extra words...

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I was surprised at how much more secure it feels with a magazine with a GeePlate compared to the standard flat baseplate. Not as good as the pinky rest but a definite improvement.
    On both my G27 and G43, I find the GeePlate to be more secure than a small pinky extension or +1. I find I don’t have to adjust my hand after firing. Also, I feel they might also help in a gun grab situation.

User Tag List