Thread: "Fightworld" on Netflix

"Fightworld" on Netflix

Just watched episode one, on Mexican boxing. I'm hooked. This series looks to be just my cup of tea, and I figure that there are some others here who might be similarly enthralled. I'm pretty sure I'm going to crack out on this show.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I’m only partway through the second episode and enjoying it so far. The hand speed and power of the Mexican boxers next to the host is a stark contrast in ability. Hoping they cover more fighting arts or styles.

I’m 3 episodes in at this point, and need to hit the rack to be worth anything on the gig tomorrow—but I’m digging the series so far.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I started watching the first episode and got bored. It's not that it's a bad show - it's definitely not - it's just that the "martial artist host travels the world to learn about different fighting styles first-hand" format has been done over and over. I may return to it at some point if folks say the overall quality of the episodes remain high.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I think the allure for me is that he seems to focus more on how the culture and people the in than the actual fighting styles themselves. If you’re hoping for the latter it’s definitely lacking. It’s sort of like Anthony bourdains shows, light on the technical cooking aspects but but on people and culture.

The last episode is about Krav Maga. The Krav practitioner clears his Glock, and they proceed to use it for disarm demos and some other stuff. Pointing at each other while dry firing. Horrible show of gun handling. Appropriate to culture some will argue, but a blue gun would have been better.

The series isn't as interesting for me. It doesnt discuss the actual techniques, but rather the cultures that use them. Not bad, I enjoyed most of it, but the technical stuff would have been interesting to me.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 10-18-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I'm going to have to renege on some of my earlier comments. Yesterday, I decided I didn't have the patience to tangle with UFC.tv's dumpster-fire interface, and this show represented the most expeditious way to watch people beat the fuck out of each other. I ended up finishing the whole first season in one sitting.

Frank Grillo has a genuine appreciation for the martial arts, but I think the show works best when he lets the fighters speak for themselves. I think the episodes on Muay Thai and Lethwei were the highlights of the first season, but all the episodes have something to offer.

Some of those Krav demos, though... smh. That kind of stuff is what gives Krav a bad reputation.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I'm still looking forward to watching it all, just not enough tv hours to make it happen yet. I really like Frank Grillo's appearances on Fighter and the Kid podcast, but I've quickly learned not to watch a movie just because he's in it. Purge 2, sure, The Driver, gawd no, just awful.

User Tag List