Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19X and Gen 5 magazines

It’s worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I do like the way they bead blasted the 19X slide before coating, so it is not slippery like the other Gen 5 pistols. Almost like having full coverage forward serrations.

The X is also a great value when you consider it comes with tritium sights, two extended of the three magazines and the color for not much more than a regular Glock.
    The lip looks like it would offer some protection for the integrity of the magwell and floor plate for when you jump off your tank and don't quite clear it. Only half kidding.

It's a commemorative in essence IMO.

PensFan posted previously there were specific reasons for releasing the MHS gun, and re-couping tooling wasn't it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have actually considered only using tan magazines for carry, since I know they work in everything. Changing your base plates sounds good until you want a spare magazine from someone else. Think we can get everyone on PF to change all their G5 base plates out as a subset of the larger Glock universe .
    "I'M OUT!!!! THROW ME A MAG!!!"

JK. I would be a high risk magazine mixer and would clip the lip.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-18-2018 at 01:50 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I’ve seen pictures of 19Xs where people removed just enough material from the back of that lip for the gen 5 magazines to work. Another option if you want to keep the lip.
    Name:  716D5981-E50D-49B1-A2B8-D13267C6B70A.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  43.7 KB

Not my gun, a google search image.
    Jason
    Last edited by Ndbbm; 10-18-2018 at 03:52 AM.

I like the lip on the 19x, kinda acts like a semi-magwell. On the flip side, the gen 5 mags lips are something i very much dislike. I guess adopting a glock in 9mm was too much of a good idea for the fbi so they had to do a bunch of weird stuff with the mag.

Any way you want to go about it, its an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Unless you have a deep interest in the MHS trials (and the 19X isn’t even the exact submission) I don’t see what the 19X offers over the G45.

The different front straps and base plates are the result of different requirements set by the FBI and the Army.
    GJM already mentioned the color, but I like the slide matching the frame without baked on paint. I also like that it doesn't have the superfluous front slide serrations. I want a G45 one day, but am willing to hold off for no FS and a color other than black.

I do agree the front lip creates an area for concern. My 19X will either get it shaved completely off, or the treatment that I Ndbbm posted. But my 19X doesn't get carried on duty and in its current role if it gets reloaded it will be with a 24 or 33rd mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman001 View Post
    I like the lip on the 19x, kinda acts like a semi-magwell. On the flip side, the gen 5 mags lips are something i very much dislike. I guess adopting a glock in 9mm was too much of a good idea for the fbi so they had to do a bunch of weird stuff with the mag.
    It always makes me smile when people put down a feature on a gun designed to save their life. It gives me a frame of reference and lets me know they lack training and experience. The front cutout and extended floor plates aren't "weird stuff." The feds requested them because it allows the user to strip a stuck mag from the weapon when only one hand is in play. Why would that be important? Because lots of people get shot in the hands during gunfights. Human nature is to focus on the weapon of your opponent/threat. I recommend taking a course that includes one hand manipulation of your chosen weapon. The good instructors do things like duct taping a tennis ball into one of your hands. It's a great way to not only vet your gun, but the rest of your gear too. Can you draw with just your support hand? Can you reload with just one hand? It's cool to watch guys do it on the internet, but until you've done it you can't really appreciate it fully. Every time I see someone whine about the front cut out I just shake my head.
    Last edited by El Cid; 10-18-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Every time I see someone whine about the front cut out I just shake my head.
    I get that it doesn't work for everyone (what does??) but I personally really like the cutout in conjunction with the extended baseplates. I didn't expect to... but I do.

If I get a G45 I'll have someone cut one in as part of other grip work.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Glock 19X and Gen 5 magazines

GJM already mentioned the color, but I like the slide matching the frame without baked on paint. I also like that it doesn't have the superfluous front slide serrations. I want a G45 one day, but am willing to hold off for no FS and a color other than black.

I do agree the front lip creates an area for concern. My 19X will either get it shaved completely off, or the treatment that I Ndbbm posted. But my 19X doesn't get carried on duty and in its current role if it gets reloaded it will be with a 24 or 33rd mag.

It always makes me smile when people put down a feature on a gun designed to save their life. It gives me a frame of reference and lets me know they lack training and experience. The front cutout and extended floor plates aren't "weird stuff." The feds requested them because it allows the user to strip a stuck mag from the weapon when only one hand is in play. Why would that be important? Because lots of people get shot in the hands during gunfights. Human nature is to focus on the weapon of your opponent/threat. I recommend taking a course that includes one hand manipulation of your chosen weapon. The good instructors do things like duct taping a tennis ball into one of your hands. It's a great way to not only vet your gun, but the rest of your gear too. Can you draw with just your support hand? Can you reload with just one hand? It's cool to watch guys do it on the internet, but until you've done it you can't really appreciate it fully. Every time I see someone whine about the front cut out I just shake my head.
    My old chum, the late Paul Gomez, had a dedicated course (RPM-Robust Pistol Manipulation) that focuses ONLY on this. Paul’s view was that if you could possess the software to fix malfunctions with either hand, then your life, when it comes to running the gun, just got easier. But as you said, that isn’t glamorous nor fun, even with a dynamic, living encyclopedia teaching it, so it wasn’t a popular course.

Interesting to note, Paul was cutting the front straps of his Glocks and M&P’s and putting long-toed magazine floor plates on them, long before it was cool. Circa 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 10-18-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    My old chum, the late Paul Gomez, had a dedicated course (RPM-Robust Pistol Manipulation) that focuses ONLY on this. Paul’s view was that if you could possess the software to fix malfunctions with either hand, then your life, when it comes to running the gun, just got easier. But as you said, that isn’t glamorous nor fun, even with a dynamic, living encyclopedia teaching it, so it wasn’t a popular course.

Interesting to note, Paul was cutting the front straps of his Glocks and M&P’s and putting long-toed magazine floor plates on them, long before it was cool. Circa 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. It's human nature to train the things we are good at, and not train the hard stuff. The first time I did training like that I remember wondering what the hell I signed up for... But I'm much more confident in my abilities now because I won't have to come up with a way to do something while someone is trying to kill me. I already have multiple ways to work handguns and long guns one handed.

I'm actually thinking about having the half-moon cut added to my 19X instead of just removing the tab. But that would definitely require me to send it to a pro. Removing the tab I could easily do at home.

You can remove a stuck mag just fine without the front lip, front cutout, etc.

You do realize there is a giant open hole thats the perfect size for your thumb? In a gen 3/4, there is already enough area on the baseplate to pull it out no matter how bloody, sweaty, or screwed up your hand is.

I've done all the things you mentioned with a gen 4, gen 5, and 19x

The gen 5 baseplate is unnecessary, and if you have hands like mine, can interfere with reloads

User Tag List