Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19X and Gen 5 magazines

Quote Originally Posted by Zman001 View Post
    You can remove a stuck mag just fine without the front lip, front cutout, etc.

You do realize there is a giant open hole thats the perfect size for your thumb? In a gen 3/4, there is already enough area on the baseplate to pull it out no matter how bloody, sweaty, or screwed up your hand is.

I've done all the things you mentioned with a gen 4, gen 5, and 19x

The gen 5 baseplate is unnecessary, and if you have hands like mine, can interfere with reloads
    I'm well aware of the rear cutout and why it's there. But using that technique requires the shooter to place the weapon in a holster, between their knees, or somewhere else when removing the magazine with one hand/arm disabled. Holding the pistol like you hold it to shoot, then hooking the extended floor plate on a hard object, you can quickly and easily rip out the stuck mag. It's significantly more effective than what you describe doing and the way shooters used to have to do it. It's also why companies like 10-8 and Tango Down sell floor plates that extended on the side - for leverage when ripping out a magazine. Right or wrong, we have lots of shooters who put a plug in the rear of the Glock (for a variety of reasons). The half-moon cut and Gen 5 mags allow the gun to still be operated one handed when using a plug or OEM beavertail which takes up part of that space.

You may find the baseplates from the Gen 5 guns "weird" or unnecessary, but plenty of armed professionals and people who train appreciate them. They are an evolutionary improvement. If they pinch you on a full size gun like a 17 or 19X you must have hands like Andre the Giant. Even then, I have a hard time seeing how they interfere with reloads, but the previous generation base plates don't, unless you are wrapping your pinky finger under the magwell. The good news is Glock sells the magazines with either option, and replacing the plates is easy.

I find the cutout snags my reloads some of the time, I'd rather not have it here.

You do realize there is a giant open hole thats the perfect size for your thumb? In a gen 3/4, there is already enough area on the baseplate to pull it out no matter how bloody, sweaty, or screwed up your hand is.
    You mean the giant open hole that's filled by a lanyard loop on 19X?
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-18-2018 at 09:41 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    The part that is easily removed?
    Last edited by JBP55; 10-18-2018 at 09:53 PM.

That thing you can pop out with a pencil?

Yep, that one. I'm sure the Army was planning to have everyone pop it out.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I'm well aware of the rear cutout and why it's there. But using that technique requires the shooter to place the weapon in a holster, between their knees, or somewhere else when removing the magazine with one hand/arm disabled. Holding the pistol like you hold it to shoot, then hooking the extended floor plate on a hard object, you can quickly and easily rip out the stuck mag. It's significantly more effective than what you describe doing and the way shooters used to have to do it. It's also why companies like 10-8 and Tango Down sell floor plates that extended on the side - for leverage when ripping out a magazine. Right or wrong, we have lots of shooters who put a plug in the rear of the Glock (for a variety of reasons). The half-moon cut and Gen 5 mags allow the gun to still be operated one handed when using a plug or OEM beavertail which takes up part of that space.

You may find the baseplates from the Gen 5 guns "weird" or unnecessary, but plenty of armed professionals and people who train appreciate them. They are an evolutionary improvement. If they pinch you on a full size gun like a 17 or 19X you must have hands like Andre the Giant. Even then, I have a hard time seeing how they interfere with reloads, but the previous generation base plates don't, unless you are wrapping your pinky finger under the magwell. The good news is Glock sells the magazines with either option, and replacing the plates is easy.
    I didn't say the problem was with a 17 or 19x.

The issue is with a gen 5 mag in a gen 4 19. Gen 5 mags are very unforgiving of finger placment.

I'll continue not to use gen 5 mags, and being just fine.

Yep, that one. I'm sure the Army was planning to have everyone pop it out.
    Not sure what exactly you are getting at, but last i checked, the military didn't pick the 19x

What the military does/wants doesn't have anything to do woth this topic

Not sure what exactly you are getting at, but last i checked, the military didn't pick the 19x

What the military does/wants doesn't have anything to do woth this topic
    What the military wanted is why we have a 19X at all. It is descended from the MHS submission. It has design features that the military desired. Among those is a less than optimal magwell design compared to other Glock offerings that isn't compatible with the latest GEN5 magazine plates, which has been noted since before the gun was commercially available. And it has a frontstrap lip designed to protect the extended magazine floorplate, a feature of little benefit to the civilian gun carrier.

Sure, get rid of the lanyard loop. Dremel off the lip. Keep your GEN4/GEN5 magazines clearly marked and separated. But the 19X is the only Glock model that adds this complication, so unless the military features are desirable, perhaps one of the many other Glock offerings is the better option?
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-18-2018 at 10:23 PM.

What the military wanted is why we have a 19X at all. It is descended from the MHS submission. It has design features that the military desired. Among those is a less than optimal magwell design compared to other Glock offerings that isn't compatible with the latest GEN5 magazine plates, which has been noted since before the gun was commercially available. And it has a frontstrap lip designed to protect the extended magazine floorplate, a feature of little benefit to the civilian gun carrier.

Sure, get rid of the lanyard loop. Dremel off the lip. Keep your GEN4/GEN5 magazines clearly marked and separated. But the 19X is the only Glock model that adds this complication, so unless the military features are desirable, perhaps one of the many other Glock offerings is the better option?
    The MHS program was voluntary. Glock didn't have to submit a pistol. And while the military did have guide lines, companies were not lorded over by the military, hell, FN submitted the 5.7 pistol.

This really has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. That glock is not providing the M17/M18 blows out the whole "its what the military wanted" argument out of the water. Because AFAIK, the glock was the only submission with the lip.

Like the lip or not, the idea that the military wanted it is pretty ridiculous.

User Tag List