Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Glock 19X and Gen 5 magazines

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Yep, that one. I'm sure the Army was planning to have everyone pop it out.
    Probably not, but every NCO expected Schmuckatello to lose it. Whether it's SPC Scmuckatello, or his cousin the butterbar.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I don't think this is really that much more of an issue than keeping your G17 and G22 mags separate, or your CZ and Beretta mags separate

Requires a touch more thought than if all you own is one type of gun that takes one type of magazine, but its not insurmountable with a touch of forethought. Shit I manage to keep identical carry and range mags from getting mixed together and I"m pretty dumb.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman001 View Post
    I didn't say the problem was with a 17 or 19x.

The issue is with a gen 5 mag in a gen 4 19. Gen 5 mags are very unforgiving of finger placment.

I'll continue not to use gen 5 mags, and being just fine.
    That is the great thing about choices...

All of my carry mags are Gen 5 mags and I use them without issue in my Gen 4 19.

I think it is important not to draw overly broad conclusions from small sample sizes. Glock didn't invent gold or screw the pooch with the Gen 5 cutout/baseplates, in the general sense - they simply responded to what some customers wanted, giving us all more options in the process.

I, for one, am thankful.
    "A man's character is his fate."

10 minutes with the Dremel. It could be cleaned up a bit, but it's a Glock:

Last edited by SteveB; 10-19-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    That is the great thing about choices...

All of my carry mags are Gen 5 mags and I use them without issue in my Gen 4 19.

I think it is important not to draw overly broad conclusions from small sample sizes. Glock didn't invent gold or screw the pooch with the Gen 5 cutout/baseplates, in the general sense - they simply responded to what some customers wanted, giving us all more options in the process.

I, for one, am thankful.
    True. I was away from glock for awhile, but it seems they are doing a really good job about listening to customers now, which is a great thing.

What I think is unprecedented is that right now Glock has three different magwell options to choose from - you can practically get the gun 'your way'. Like the flared magwell and half-moon cut out? Just get a GEN5 17 or 19. Want the flared magwell but no cutout? Get a GEN5 MOS 17/19 or the G45. Really dig the 19X? They have that too.

Glock is really offering a lot of choices to the customer right now.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Zman001 View Post
    I didn't say the problem was with a 17 or 19x.

The issue is with a gen 5 mag in a gen 4 19. Gen 5 mags are very unforgiving of finger placment.

I'll continue not to use gen 5 mags, and being just fine.
    If Gen 5 mags pinch you in your Gen 4 guns, that is hardly the fault of an agency requirement, or Glocks decision to build to it. My Gen 5 mags work without issue in my Gen 3/4 Glocks and I have large meat hooks.

This exchange started because you referred to an agency's choice for features on their duty weapons as "a bunch of weird stuff." I was trying to educate you on their very valid reason for those features. I still recommend you take a class with a reputable trainer who includes injured shooter manipulations as part of the course. I'm confident you'll discover the thumb in the back of the magwell is less than optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    What I think is unprecedented is that right now Glock has three different magwell options to choose from - you can practically get the gun 'your way'. Like the flared magwell and half-moon cut out? Just get a GEN5 17 or 19. Want the flared magwell but no cutout? Get a GEN5 MOS 17/19 or the G45. Really dig the 19X? They have that too.

Glock is really offering a lot of choices to the customer right now.
    It is truly a good time to be a Glock shooter. We are getting 15rd, 17rd, and 33rd mags in OD and FDE now. Factory 19rd coyote (19X) mags sold separately. The RTF2 texture keeps showing up as an option recently. For a duty/competition gun it's my favorite. Just in case Glock reads P-F... I do wish there was a Gen 4/5 frame with RTF2. I also want my beloved G17L in a Gen 5 frame please. And all the Glocks in all the colors please.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I do wish there was a Gen 4/5 frame with RTF2.
    From your mouth to the ears of Gaston!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@El Cid I completely agree on wanting an RTF2 texture in the Gen5 guns. That’s really my only gripe with them. I wish the texture was more aggressive. It’s better than the Gen3 but I still find I get less traction than I’d prefer when my hands are sweaty. I’m a big fan of the M&P 2.0 texture.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I don't think this is really that much more of an issue than keeping your G17 and G22 mags separate, or your CZ and Beretta mags separate

Requires a touch more thought than if all you own is one type of gun that takes one type of magazine, but its not insurmountable with a touch of forethought. Shit I manage to keep identical carry and range mags from getting mixed together and I"m pretty dumb.

Agree with all of this and put into words better then I could have.

Like countless people have mentioned already, if the 19x lip is a concern coping saw and some fine sandpaper will take care of it.

User Tag List