Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19X and Gen 5 magazines

Glock 19X and Gen 5 magazines

Making this a separate thread to make sure everyone knows that the 19X is not compatible with Gen 5 17/34/45 magazines with the new base plate. Despite diligence in replacing base plates with other than Gen 5 base plates, or trying to separate the Gen 5 magazines from the 19X, I know it is just a matter of time before someone ends trying to reload a 19X with a Gen 5 style base plate magazine. I really like the 19X, but I am either going to get them modified so they accept Gen 5 base plates or get rid of them, as it seems like a needless potential failure point with the various Gen 5 magazines I am accumulating. I believe the history of the Gen 5 base plate design is that it was specified by the FBI on the M pistols, to work with the cut out to facilitate stripping a stuck magazine, and apparently Glock continued with it on the commercial Gen 5 pistols. Seems crazy to think there would be a current Glock pistol model that does not work with other currently manufactured similar size and caliber magazines.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Whenever I pull out a Dremel I hear my ex-wife in my head, saying, "Wait, wait, wait -- what are you doing with that?"

That being said, I'm confident that even for a duffer like myself, it'd be a 5 minute job, and difficult to screw up... I'd start with the Dremel and finish with a file/sanding block. I agree that it was a rather inexplicable design choice.
    Last edited by Joe Mac; 10-17-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Making this a separate thread to make sure everyone knows that the 19X is not compatible with Gen 5 17/34/45 magazines with the new base plate..........
    I'm not a 19X owner, so I'm having a problem figuring out what's causing the incompatibility. Could you explain it or post an image showing the problem?

The 19X has a little lip on the front of the mag well. Honestly its such a simple fix, unless you want to get another gun, I don't see why you would bother ditching the 19X guns you already have.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    I'm not a 19X owner, so I'm having a problem figuring out what's causing the incompatibility. Could you explain it or post an image showing the problem?
    Look at the front of the magwell on a 19x, there is a lip where the standard gen 5 17 has a cutout. The gen 5 magazines are longer in the front of the basepad that fits in the cutout of the 17 frame. The 19x lip prevents the magazine from seating.

Site Supporter
    Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 2585
Size:  40.6 KB

Thanks, guys. That's clear to me now. Glad the gen 4 guns don't have the incompatibility with out of the box Gen 5 mags.

I do completely agree with you about how little sense it makes for Glock to have made the 19X incompatible with Gen5 mags. Someone probably will screw this up at some point and I hope it doesn’t get anyone hurt.

I know from your other posts that you really dig the 19X except for this issue. You’ll likely end up selling the 19Xs at a loss unless you bought them on a Blue Label/GSSF discount. Then you’ll still have to spend money to replace them with G45s. I don’t know how many 19Xs you have other than the one you had chopped to G26 height but why not just dremel or file off their mag well lip so they work with Gen5 mags?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Can we just replace the floor plates with gen 4 etc floor plates? At 3-4$ a piece it appears to be a simple fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

I am almost certain to modify the four X pistols my wife and I have, as I dig the guns generally and the color especially. The only question is whether I do it myself or have them done. I still bear the scars of when I tried to dehorn an HK P7 twenty years ago.

I bet a high percentage of X owners will be oblivious to the mag compatibility issue until they find out the hard way. This was a design mistake by the mother ship.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List