Page 764 of 807 FirstFirst ... 264664714754762763764765766774 ... LastLast
Results 7,631 to 7,640 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In his potential defense: He was not there working and it’s his hometown, not his jurisdiction. Cops, even Chiefs are human beings. If he was drinking and having a good time he should not be carrying a gun, and if he is not carrying a gun he should not be carrying his badge/credentials.
    To me iit’s an issue of good judgment and leadership. He’s the doofus who chose to leave badge and gun at home, and now he’s whining about how helpless he felt in the circumstances.

We’re on our way home from NM to Louisiana, and you can be sure that though I no longer have a badge, I’m traveling on my LA permit. We were also passed by a couple of groups of Bandidos south of Amarillo…..hauling ass.

Pretty typical top echelon LE, but he should shut up.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    To me iit’s an issue of good judgment and leadership. He’s the doofus who chose to leave badge and gun at home, and now he’s whining about how helpless he felt in the circumstances.

We’re on our way home from NM to Louisiana, and you can be sure that though I no longer have a badge, I’m traveling on my LA permit. We were also passed by a couple of groups of Bandidos south of Amarillo…..hauling ass.

Pretty typical top echelon LE, but he should shut up.
    I don’t know the guy but there’s a “Calvinistic” bullshit trend in a portion of the gun community that you have to be switched on and carrying a gun at all times to the point that they never have any fun, never have a drink in public, never go anywhere on vacation they can’t carry their gun, etc.. all work, and no play makes jack a dull boy. That s**t will kill you quicker than any bad guy.

Then, again, the wanna be bikers can be worse than the actual outlaw bikers. Armed or not biker events strike me as an example of stupid people /places/things best avoided.

Conversely, there’s a subset of cops, who is somehow think it’s OK to carry their gun when they’re drinking.

Site Supporter
    FWIW…
    It turns out I’m acquainted with one of the 4 Farmington officers who ended this episode.
    He’s an accomplished pistol shooter with impressive skills. Since this is not coterie, I’ll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @JRB @UNM1136 Farmington is NW of you, correct?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/16/us/fa...day/index.html

"A 98-year-old woman and her 73-year-old daughter were among the three people killed by an 18-year-old high school student who roamed through his neighborhood Monday firing indiscriminately at homes and passersby in their vehicles, according to authorities in the northwestern New Mexico town of Farmington.

In all, Beau Wilson shot nine people Monday morning before four Farmington police officers fatally shot him, police officials said at a Tuesday news conference.

Gwendolyn Schofield, 98, and daughter Melody Ivie, 73, were killed in their vehicle and Shirley Voita, 79, who also was shot in a car, died at a hospital, according to authorities. Police had previously shared an incorrect spelling of Voita’s last name.

Farmington Police Sgt. Rachel Discenza was wounded in the exchange of fire with the assailant and New Mexico State Police officer Andreas Stamatiadas was shot as he came to the scene.

Four other wounded victims were hospitalized, but like the officers, have been released, Farmington Deputy Chief Baric Crum said."

Getting randomly shot while driving in my car isn't something that's occurred to me as remotely likely, to be honest.

Site Supporter
    This goes here and not in the police shootings thread because it looks like this dude possibly got away from the cops without being hit only to be ambushed by some randos, possibly a rival gang.

On Friday, April 7, 2023, at 6:41 p.m. Santa Ana police officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle in the area of 500 South Rosewood Avenue in the city of Santa Ana. When the vehicle pulled over, uniformed officers gave the driver several verbal orders to place his hands outside of the vehicle. Rather than following the orders, the driver exited the vehicle carrying a firearm that was later confirmed to be loaded. These actions led to an officer-involved shooting. Immediately following the officer involved shooting, the suspect ran North on Rosewood Avenue and East on Myrtle Street. Officers remained at the scene of the traffic stop and did not chase the suspect because a male occupant was observed in the front passenger seat of the vehicle.

Approximately one minute after the suspect was last seen running on East Myrtle Street, officers heard additional gunshots. Santa Ana Police dispatch was advised of the circumstances and additional officers responded to assist. Immediately following the officer-involved shooting, the officers reported their activity to Santa Ana Police dispatch and requested additional officers respond to the scene to assist. While awaiting the arrival of assisting officers, the initial officers can be heard advising Dispatch they heard other gunshots coming from the north. Several officers responded to help at the initial location of the traffic stop and officer-involved shooting. Upon their arrival, the remaining occupant of the suspect vehicle was removed from the vehicle and taken into custody without incident. Officers also responded to conduct an area check for the outstanding suspect.

At approximately 6:45 p.m. a male subject matching the suspect description was located lying on the East Sidewalk of 437 South Shelton Street. This location is north of where the initial offshore-involved shooting occurred and consistent with the area the officer said they had heard the gunshots from. The suspect suffered from several gunshot wounds to various parts of his body. Officers on the scene provided life-saving Medical Aid to the subject, later identified as 20-year-old Marvin Ricardo Melgarejo, until Orange County Fire Authority Personnel arrived. This included the application of a tourniquet by officers on Melgarejo. He was subsequently transported to the Orange County Global Medical Center where he was treated and listed in stable condition. Upon further investigation Melgarejo was seen running East on Myrtle Street, then South on Shelton Street along the east sidewall.

Further investigation revealed a gray colored sports utility vehicle, driving South on Shelton Street and stopping at the West curb line across from Melgarejo. Two unknown male subjects, exit the passenger side and fire multiple rounds in Melgarejo's Direction. The subject's return to the vehicle and are seen fleeing South on Shelton Street. Approximately 12 cartridge casings were discovered along the west sidewalk of Shelton Street, south of Myrtle Street. The cartridge casings were consistent with the location of the sports utility vehicle, at the time the two suspects exited and shot in Melgarejo's Direction. At the initial scene of the officer-involved shooting, a loaded firearm was located outside the vehicle, Melgarejo fled from. The weapon recovered was a 9mm 'ghost gun' containing a loaded magazine. An additional loaded magazine belonging to Melgarejo was located nearby.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Saw/heard an article on a 6/1 MS barricade/SWAT incident ending w/ a mutual-aid SWAT officer DOA & another officer wounded, anyone local/nearby w/ accurate info. as there was an ass load of gunfire @ two different points.

Site Supporter
    https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...xpressBriefing

BCSO: Deputy kills man during domestic disturbance call in far north Bexar County

A Bexar County Sheriff’s Office deputy killed a man Saturday morning after he was attacked while responding to a domestic disturbance call in far north Bexar County, Sheriff Javier Salazar said.

Salazar said his office received several calls to report an ongoing domestic disturbance in the 8700 block of Versant Bluff around 7:30 a.m. Saturday.

The suspect, an unnamed man in his 20s or 30s, arrived at the residence to work on the home and “began getting violent” with his sibling and sibling-in-law who live in the home, according to Salazar.

An armed off-duty agent, who Salazar believes is from the Drug Enforcement Administration, confronted the suspect before deputies arrived, Salazar said.

“Having seen some preliminary surveillance camera video from neighbors, that federal agent showed an immense amount of restraint as he backed off the situation a bit and allowed the suspect some space, (in) an effort to keep them from using deadly force,” Salazar said.

The suspect, described by Salazar as having a “family history of being problematic,” quickly attacked a deputy arriving at the home.

“The patrol car pulls up and the suspect makes a beeline for the deputy,” Salazar said. “He appears to assault the deputy in front of the residence at that point.”

The deputy unsuccessfully attempted to use a stun gun on the suspect, leading the suspect to start “swinging” — either his fists or a knife — at the deputy, Salazar said.

The deputy then fired his weapon “at least two or three times” at the suspect, Salazar said, killing him.

The deputy suffered at least two knife wounds to his face and an impact injury to his face, Salazar said. One of the suspect’s family members suffered facial injuries.

Salazar said the incident is part of a rise in domestic violence incidents, citing other calls resulting in fatalities.

Last month, a deputy killed a man who was firing an assault rifle while deputies were responding to reports of a domestic dispute in the 3700 block of Forsythia in far north Bexar County.

“Although I don’t have facts and figures in front of me, anecdotally speaking, I can tell you it does seem like these things are on the uptick,” Salazar said. “And unfortunately for us, the last two turned out deadly.”

Site Supporter
    https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...harecount=Mg==

Police: 72-year-old man killed roommate, fired 100-plus bullets ‘everywhere’ before killing himself

A 72-year-old man fatally shot his roommate and fired more than 100 rounds — including at a police cars — before he killed himself early Friday on the Northeast Side, police said.

Someone called 911 about 2 a.m. saying that the man killed his roommate at an apartment in the 4800 block of Ray Bon Drive, San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said.

The shooter “called someone he knew and told them he killed his roommate, and that person called police,” the chief said.

When officers arrived, the man immediately fired at police. The first police vehicle was hit by 40 rounds, McManus said. The officer driving that vehicle took cover behind a nearby dumpster and was not injured.

The man was standing in the doorway of an apartment and was shooting “everywhere,” the chief said.

The chief estimated more than 100 rounds were fired over 20 minutes.

Five other police vehicles arrived and were also shot. One officer approached the man from the side and fired once but did not hit him.

A half hour later, the man shot himself, McManus said.

“We don’t have any motive for this right now,” the chief said.

McManus noted that the shooter’s age makes the incident unusual.

“He was an elderly gentleman that we don’t typically see in these types of cases,” he said.

The chief likened today’s prevalence of gun violence to what he saw in Washington, D.C., during the 1980s and 1990s, but he said the general motivation for shootings differentiates then from now.

“It was all over drugs and gangs,” he said of the past violence. “Today, it seems at the slightest provocation people are puling guns on each other, and I don’t know what’s causing it.”

Site Supporter

It used to be upscale

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...adly-shooting/

It used to be an upscale mall. My wife used to go there all the time. One reason she wanted to move back to her home town and one of mine places that were like a home - despite all the NYS problems, our town has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. That means something to us older folks.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...adly-shooting/

It used to be an upscale mall. My wife used to go there all the time. One reason she wanted to move back to her home town and one of mine places that were like a home - despite all the NYS problems, our town has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. That means something to us older folks.
    North Star mall isn’t what it used to be (La Cantera and The Rim have supplanted it as the upscale shopping destination) but this shooting was not random.

It’s the third in a series of targeted assassinations which began last weekend as part of a gang war between the Bloods and the Crips. The victim in the mall shooting was a leader in the “Stixx” set of the Bloods.

You probably didn’t hear about the other two up in New York because they happened in the hood and as a gang member once told me “if you aren’t killing people who are paying taxes, nobody cares.”

Supposedly, this is part of a larger national or regional conflict between the Crips and the bloods which extends beyond San Antonio.

The victim in this case was shot while getting his haircut (I.e. at a disadvantage). From an offender POV waiting till your target is at a disadvantage such as being confined to a barbers chair, a bathroom, stall, etc. is just common sense.

Site Supporter
    HCM, I recall just before we left there was a day time assassination either in La Cantera or the Rim. Maybe where the nice restaurants were. Our nice neighborhood block was changing and a house sold to some fun folks who then had a massive party. Zillions of drunks and then one set shot up the cars of another, three houses down. Part of the move decision. Yes, NYS has plenty of problems but our carry in Erie was pretty good until the CCIA and Scotus sitting on their yacht about helping us out with a TRO.

We did have a murder across the street. A dude a week out from a divorce being final, came and strangled his wife. Detectives talked to us - we really didn't know them. The area was nice and then urban sprawl just waved over us.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List