Page 611 of 805 FirstFirst ... 111511561601609610611612613621661711 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,110 of 8047

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Holy crap! I didn't realize the U.S. has had 45 mass shootings in the last month:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/16/us/ma...nth/index.html
    I haven't had a chance to read the entire article yet, but I'm not surprised based upon what CNN was reporting after the Parkland shooting.

They kept referring to it as the 90 something or perhaps even 100-plus something school shooting of the year. I was thinking to myself ' man, I know I can be behind the times on some things but can't believe I've missed roughly 100 school shootings in the past month-and-a-half."

So I went and looked at their reference article. It included such wonderful items as:

1. Police were called to the school football field one night with someone reporting having heard shots fired. Investigation showed no evidence of any type of shooting, the police cleared the scene.

Yep, that's a school shooting

2.. at 3 a.m. on a Saturday when no respecting schools kid was anywhere near the school, drug dealer number one pulled into the parking lot and then shot drug dealer number to in order to steal his stuff.

Yep, that's a school shooting.

3. One afternoon disgruntled spouse number one drove to the school where disgruntled spouse number two worked, and then did a murder-suicide.

Yep, that's a school shooting.

I think in the end there was maybe one or two other actual shootings where someone showed up at the school and attempted to, did, manage to shoot students. The remainder were all Bs like the above but it sure made the numbers look good.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/mul...ng-2021-04-16/

Why is it that things seem to had been quiet for a year or so, and now it is one after another after another?
    Kind of makes you wonder doesn’t it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    In the video the Chief said the officer had a malfunction and had to also do a reload. I think they still use M&P .40's and I thought about it after watching the gun jam on that officer in the hospital shooting the other day. I thing it was also a S&W.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They still use M&P 40s. They will be staying with .40 as they transition to M&P 2.0s and recently approved Personally owned M&P COREs with RDS from an approved list as an option for duty.

Given the officer in this incident was shot in the hand, I would not read too much into the malfunction in this instance.
    From the OH body cam; M&P malfunction was self induced by the support hand thumb:

Name:  E8A85C73-AB81-4BE3-8DCE-ABA4063C6437.jpeg
Views: 502
Size:  12.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    From the OH body cam; M&P malfunction was self induced by the support hand thumb:

Name:  E8A85C73-AB81-4BE3-8DCE-ABA4063C6437.jpeg
Views: 502
Size:  12.1 KB
    I saw that. It certainly seems that was the cause.

If three or more victims is a mass shooting, Chicago has experienced twenty-three (23!!) mass shootings this year with fourteen deaths. Not picking on Chicago; the stats are easy to find at https://heyjackass.com

That being said, Chicago seems to have a small problem with its residents shooting and killing each other as there have been 916 shooting victims with 165 deaths as of this writing. But one police officer shooting and killing a thirteen year-old who had a gun in his possession within a second of being fatally shot is what draws the attention. Something seems amiss in what gets the attention.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Appears to be some sort of shooting at a high school in Knoxville, TN

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...e-high-school/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    It seems that recently officers have been getting to these incidents more quickly, which is a good thing. Don't know if folks are calling as soon as they see or hear something, or what, but it sounds as if the only damage inflicted in this one was between officer and suspect. Officer seems to be in good spirits and the suspect is room temperature.
    https://www.police1.com/officer-shoo...TwKw3QqMkPvNNo

Officer wounded at Tenn. school wasn't shot by student's gun. A new report contradicts the initial assessment that the teenager fired and hit a officer

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — A Tennessee police officer wounded during a confrontation with a student inside a high school bathroom was not shot by the student's gun, authorities said Wednesday, contradicting earlier law enforcement reports that the teenager fired and hit the officer.

The new report appears to indicate that the officer was shot by police during a struggle.
    Friendly fire isn't.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-17-2021 at 11:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/san-...lice-shooting/

Surprised I didn't see this on the national news with all the reports of shootings. Kind of too close to where I used to live.

Site Supporter
    On the FedEx shooting, I read a report that a guy went to retrieve a gun from his truck and was shot. Any truth to that?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ma...ot-and-killed/
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 04-18-2021 at 11:02 AM.

CNN, God bless them, is pushing as hard as it can.

Right now, the 5 top stories are all about shootings. One is on the FedEx, one is about a shooting where nobody was hit.

A little further down is an op ed by someone claiming the media is racist in its shooting coverage. They only report shootings where white people are hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    CNN, God bless them, is pushing as hard as it can.

Right now, the 5 top stories are all about shootings. One is on the FedEx, one is about a shooting where nobody was hit.

A little further down is an op ed by someone claiming the media is racist in its shooting coverage. They only report shootings where white people are hurt.
    They're not wrong.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List