Page 598 of 807 FirstFirst ... 98498548588596597598599600608648698 ... LastLast
Results 5,971 to 5,980 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Site Supporter
    Talking points for dealing with the less-informed on the Boulder supermarket shooting:

- Colorado has had a “Universal Background Check” law on the books since 2013. The shooter evidently purchased the gun he used in the last two weeks. So he presumably passed the required background check. Mandating such universal checks at the national level would have no impact on events like these.

- Colorado also passed a low prohibiting the acquisition of “high capacity” magazines (defined as holding more than 15 rounds) in 2013. I don’t know what magazine capacity was used in this crime, but the law didn’t make any difference in this respect either.

So, obviously the solution is not to pass more restrictive laws, locally or nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Talking points for dealing with the less-informed on the Boulder supermarket shooting:

- Colorado has had a “Universal Background Check” law on the books since 2013. The shooter evidently purchased the gun he used in the last two weeks. So he presumably passed the required background check. Mandating such universal checks at the national level would have no impact on events like these.

- Colorado also passed a low prohibiting the acquisition of “high capacity” magazines (defined as holding more than 15 rounds) in 2013. I don’t know what magazine capacity was used in this crime, but the law didn’t make any difference in this respect either.

So, obviously the solution is not to pass more restrictive laws, locally or nationally.
    Their goal is gun restrictions. The effects of laws that already exist isn't the issue.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

He just bought the gun on March 16th

Not even a week ago and already ended ownership and lots of lives.
    What if he didn't have a gun?
    Could he kill that many?
    I know guns don't fire themselves but it sure does make it easier than a piece of cake to kill many quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Could he kill that many?
    Yes. More, in fact. Explosives...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    or gasoline and door wedges...

And don't forget that we have mass shootings in countries with extraordinarily strict gun control, like in France.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Could he kill that many?
    I know guns don't fire themselves but it sure does make it easier than a piece of cake to kill many quick.
    Actually some way can require less effort:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Vans...

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Could he kill that many?
    Ever heard of the Nice promenade on the French Riviera?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Could he kill that many?
    Right in NYC

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...manhattan.html

8 dead, rented F250 from home depot.

He even had a pellet gun.

Comparing methods of executing a large casualty event isn't fun but in terms of comparing which is easiest, I'd say a large vehicle running people over might be the easiest overall. It takes no skill, easy to acquire, and offers a barrier to people fighting back.

If the Christmas day bomber in Nashville had decided other wise (say like black friday), we'd be talking about potentially hundreds of people dead from an RV rigged with explosives. So next on my list is explosives in various forms. Boston marathon was done with pressure cookers (I think).

Everything else seems to take some measure of skill building and knowledge and exposure to people fighting back or getting harmed in the process.

User Tag List