Page 54 of 807 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154554 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Be smart, not stupid.

Fully cooperate with the officers at the scene; sue them, their agency, and city/county/state later if warranted.
    This. I've been braced a few times. Looked like the sort of character that might be carrying a gun (I was in fact). I was only too happy to comply with meticulous perfection. Peace officer was in a remote place and had to insure he had control of the situation. Not one kitten was given my me. I want him to go home safely every time. That is the least I can do for them.

And airsoft are not freakin' toys. Went round and round with some parent friends when the kids were young and airsoft tag became a fad. My younger son was put out that HE couldn't get his own airsoft with his own earned $$$ to join the reindeer games and not one kitten was given about that either. A few parents consulted with me and then took the same stance. Eventually one of the tag players got a tooth broken off and the games ended, airsoft disappeared. They got off lucky.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

While doing OC scenario training out of town we took a short break and I jogged around the front of the building to go take a leak. I had a dummy gun in my waistband when I ran into the nice coppers, four each, who drew down on me, two with 870s.

As it turned out they had gotten a "unknown disturbance, man with a gun" call. The dude that was supposed to call dispatch to let them know about the training event forgot.

When I heard "Stop, turn away from me, drop to your left knee, now your right knee...." I was thinking "Cool, I know this drill".

We got it worked out shortly after I was cuffed.

An operational rule of life, just like "don't play in traffic", is when the uniforms show up with guns drawn they are in charge until things get sorted out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Who knows what the kid was doing: telling the "poppo" to eff-off, etc...or was he telling them it was a toy?
    Fixer- I don't know the answers to your other questions since I was not there but the basic rule is people get shot by the police because of what they do and/ or what they fail to do.

I have arrested several guys at gun point who M- eff'ed me every step of the way as a means of saving face but they complied with lawful commands and therefore did not get shot. You can tell me it's a toy all you want but until / unless I can determine that for myself you will be treated as armed.

fixer--your comments illustrate that you are ignorant of this situation and do not know what you are writing about. Stop. Now.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Hypothetical.....:

You are an officer, in uniform in a marked police car, working in a high crime Sureno gang area and come across a subject carrying what appears to be a AK47 in an area where you have recovered AK type rifles used in crimes. Subject is contacted from a fairly close distance, verbally challenged and the response is that the subject turns and raises the muzzle directly at the hypothetical officer while holding it by the pistol grip in the correct manner for firing a real rifle. Would you shoot, or wait to see if it is a real gun, or give the subject the benefit of the doubt and allow him a first shot.....just so you are sure. What is the correct response with those hypothetical circumstances?
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The apparently armed subject has not obeyed lawful commands and in fact has chosen to escalate the situation by acting in a threatening manner toward the armed uniformed officer in a marked vehicle.

Under the law, typical department policy, and standard LE training protocols, the officer must IMMEDIATELY engage the suspect to ensure their own safety and that of the public.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post

In your first example are they breaking the law? Is carrying a rifle in itself against any specific law? What if they're deaf.

It's absolutely against the law in California! Besides being a practically banned firearm there, Open Carry in populated areas is banned, he's a minor which makes him prohibited etc...

Nyeti, given the circumstances of your scenario, I am of the opinion there would be no choice but to engage instantly.

http://www.kirotv.com/ap/ap/californ...ear-old/pzyD7/

JMO he looks older than 13 and not being there I will not Judge the 2 Sheriff's deputies ...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    fixer--your comments illustrate that you are ignorant of this situation and do not know what you are writing about. Stop. Now.
    Help me understand your declaration here...
    Last edited by fixer; 10-24-2013 at 06:14 AM.

User Tag List