Page 502 of 807 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512552602 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Site Supporter
    https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019...TaTDh09j448k4k

Police Officers Recovering After Accidentally Shooting Each Other

ELK GROVE (CBS13) — Two Elk Grove police officers are recovering from gunshot wounds they accidentally gave each other while chasing down a suspect.

On Saturday night around 11 p.m. police received the call of a travel trailer burglary in the area of Tegan Road, just off Franklin Road. The caller also said he saw a man move a gun from the pocket of his pants pocket to his sweatshirt pocket. An officer responded to the call and contacted a male and female near the trailer. The officer followed him to the Walgreens parking lot, near Laguna and Franklin, and by then, another officer showed up, according to a statement from Elk Grove Police Department.
    One officer was on either side of the suspect, facing each other. The suspect then reportedly moved toward one of the officers with his hands near his waistband, and that’s when the officers started firing — hitting the suspect and each other.

All three men were taken to the hospital. Each officer suffered a non-life threatening wound to their lower leg.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-23-2019 at 12:57 AM.

This has many of the answers to questions asked in the closed San Diego synagogue shooting thread about who did what in ending the attack. As it turns out, the key guy was an unarmed Iraq vet congregant who charged the guy.

The man who fired a semi-automatic weapon inside the Chabad of Poway synagogue in San Diego on Saturday froze, dropped his gun and sprinted to his car when he saw Oscar Stewart come barreling toward him, yelling so loud the priest at a neighboring church could hear.

“Get down!” Stewart yelled, according to his wife and others who were at the scene. “You motherfucker! I’m going to kill you!”
    https://amp.dailycaller.com/2019/04/...mpression=true

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer81 View Post
    This has many of the answers to questions asked in the closed San Diego synagogue shooting thread about who did what in ending the attack. As it turns out, the key guy was an unarmed Iraq vet congregant who charged the guy.

https://amp.dailycaller.com/2019/04/...mpression=true
    Stewart was lucky. Doubly lucky in fact since the BP agent who saved him was apparently unarmed until handed a gun by a third party. I am not surprised the BP Agent was not armed off duty but I am disgusted.

he was off-duty and was apparently handed the weapon by someone else on the scene —
    This - if true, is also a major fail:

The agent fired several rounds into the lower part of the vehicle, intending to disable it, but the shooter managed to drive away. The two of them then grabbed a phone from someone and called the police to report his license plate. The shooter later turned himself in.
    If the suspect is a continuing threat, which this suspect was, shooting him to stop him from fleeing the science and potentially harming third parties is reasonable in this situation. Shooting a vehicle to disable it is out of policy and contrary to our training.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-29-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    One has to worry about reconstructions from memory after an incident. We've known for a long time that they can be less than accurate. Also, there is the tendency to portray one's actions as sensible on top of memory issues. Not to say that the gentleman did not act bravely. Giving your political insights are also a sign of post traumatic running off at the mouth.

We've yet to hear from the BP agent. Is he being told or wisely keeping his mouth shut until the situation settles down.

Back to Stewart and running off at the mouth:

He may not call himself a hero, but Stewart believes his actions effectively stopped the shooter. He doesn’t think reports of the shooter’s gun jamming as the reason he fled are likely to be true, because he was using a semi-automatic rifle. “Full automatic weapons will jam,” he said. “Semi-automatic weapons do not jam.” He thinks maybe the shooter had emptied his magazine. Whatever the case, the shooter let the slung weapon drop and fled.
    As a combat vet - who says that? Semis jam all the time. I see AR pattern guns jam frequently at carbine matches. Mine did a couple of matches ago with a double feed. A few months ago, my gas key had screws shear and had to go to the shop.

About firing at the lower car parts - did the agent say that? I think I've read that under stress people tend to shoot low. I've seen it in class and recall the zipper argument for a fire pattern that might take advantage of this tendency (quite controversial).

I'm waiting for a clearer and well vetted report on the action before making conclusions. Who had the gun that was used, I've seen both that it was given to the agent or the Rabbi asked him to come armed.

In any case, it was good that they had some plan to respond.

Site Supporter
    Stewart is undoubtedly a brave man and should be praised. I hate to critique his actions but worry about statements. He said (supposedly in an LA Times story) -

From his time as a sergeant in the Army, Stewart knew that the rifle would be useless if he was within five feet of it. So he kept close to the shooter as he chased him into the parking lot.
    How does that make sense?

We still need a vetted action and timeline analysis. I recall after Sutherland, the story was a mess until a time period had passed.

Site Supporter
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/u...ng.html?cid=db

Charging may not work out well for the hero. Brave kid and a real loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/u...ng.html?cid=db

Charging may not work out well for the hero. Brave kid and a real loss.
    True and very true.

But there is no guarantee of success, regardless. Following like lambs to the slaughter is a certain fail. Too many examples to cite.
    Rolling the dice and giving oneself a fighting chance? Better odds than certain failure. (And sets a superior example for our fellows, imho.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    True and very true.

But there is no guarantee of success, regardless. Following like lambs to the slaughter is a certain fail. Too many examples to cite.
    Rolling the dice and giving oneself a fighting chance? Better odds than certain failure. (And sets a superior example for our fellows, imho.)
    At the old NTI, we had a mass shooter scenario. It was a classroom and a guy came in with a gun. So I charged him and it was judged that I was shot. I was scolded and it was said that I should have complied. I was a touch miffed because I probably had knocked the guy down. You couldn't do that - it was 'touch football'. So I agree with Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    At the old NTI, we had a mass shooter scenario. It was a classroom and a guy came in with a gun. So I charged him and it was judged that I was shot. I was scolded and it was said that I should have complied. I was a touch miffed because I probably had knocked the guy down. You couldn't do that - it was 'touch football'. So I agree with Blues.
    That's the problem with unrealistic training and training scenarios.

In the early 80's at FLETC we were serving a warrant at "Richard Roe's" house. I happened to be on the perimeter for this exercise.
    A woman (role player) with a baby carriage came down the street and I directed her to circumvent the perimeter.

She pulled a gun from the carriage and shot me. During the post game analysis I asked the instructor if he thought it would be good policy and PR for an armed agent to draw down on a woman approaching with a baby carriage. He remarked it was a poorly thought out scenario and apologized.

Point is, any of us can be potentially taken out umpteen times a day in the most innocent looking of circumstances. The real test, beyond situational awareness, is mustering the moxie to take your chances when a window of opportunity presents itself.

No doubt you would have knocked the assailant to the ground...potentially allowing many others to survive. The hell with touch football.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Prius police chase & shootout in LA: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...521.html?amp=y

User Tag List