Page 104 of 807 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I couldn't disagree more with the idea that focusing on parenting is a distraction. The decay of the family, which is interwoven with the secularization of society, is specifically at the root of issues like this.
    JAD,
    Just so you know where I stand: There is no doubt that broken families and the high divorce rates, a more transient population, movement away from extended family structures and various forms of abuse cause many societal issues which we must work to repair...as a society. But, scientifically, whether that breakdown is a direct cause or secondary or incidental cause of people like Rodgers going on a violent rampage is the question. Rebuilding families and providing for mental/emotional healthcare seem to both be moral and laudable goals.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Sure, but the entities that we are currently turning to to do both of those things are incorrect.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I am starting to warm up to the idea of mental health courts where judges can specialize in assessing these complex mental health situations, working more closely with families, working within the privacy concerns of HIPPA, and appointing attorneys that have experience in the mental health arena.

Cody
    Forgive me for my cynicism, but the mere thought of such a thing is cause for me to raise one myself ......

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

Make up your kittening mind, ya buncha kittening hypocrites. Do you want the Department of Precrime dragging people off or not?

A truly free society is going to have some inherent safety issues. (Conversely, people get shanked in prisons all the time.)
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The subject couldn't be held because he didn't pose an apparent danger to himself or others, in their "professional" opinion. He was booked into the county jail but was allowed to be released on his own recognisance since your professionals had determined he wasn't a threat. On the surface this incident was far more clear cut than the Rogers case would seem to be, minus the Monday morning quarterbacking of course. Yet even then, the system wouldn't allow that individual to even be held for evaluation.
    Thank you, this was the professional opinion I was looking for early in this thread, which was "could the family have done anything else outside of warning the cops of his violent videos."

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Sure, but the entities that we are currently turning to to do both of those things are incorrect.
    What's worse, IMO, is that the very people that would be in charge of fixing the problem in this thread would be the very people that create, encourage and sometimes directly reward the behavior of broken families as well as foster the consequentless behavior we see so pervasively these days.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

2 teen armed robbers, employee fights back.
    Struthers police said a pair of teenage robbery suspects got more than they bargained for during a robbery attempt early Wednesday morning.

Video Struthers police obtained from Sami Quick Stop appears to show that one of the teens who entered and attempted to rob the store pulled out a gun, shot at the clerk and missed, prompting the clerk to shoot back and hit the suspect.
    Another victim fights back!
    She said her husband was inside the store when the attempted robbery happened. A man put a gun in her husband’s face, demanded his cellphone and any money in the store, and threatened to kill him if he did not comply.

Then, the woman said, her husband turned around, pretending to get money, but instead pulled out a gun and shot one of the suspects. The suspect fired back but didn’t hit him, she said.

Man slain by fellow robber during robbery gone bad.

Bad guy Nos. 1 and 2 approach a group of victims to try and rob them. Bad guy No. 1 tries to pull the trigger, gun malfs, victims start brawling and a fight over the gun develops. Baddie No. 2 accidentally shoots and kills Baddie No. 1 during the fight.

Karma. It's a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Forgive me for my cynicism, but the mere thought of such a thing is cause for me to raise one myself ......
    Cute....but if you are concerned, do you have time to outlay the specific concerns?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Rob, I agree that it is a complex and long road, but a lot of good science and analysis has already been done. Therapists know, for instance, that a history of being seriously abused as a child, combined with other stresses in a person's life, raises a red flag.
    Cody
    See, a good buddy of mine has spent most of his FBI career working violent crimes in Indian country. Interviewed more child sexual predators and victims than you would even want to know about. Most of the perpetrators were abused themselves as children. However, a large number of the victims did not turn into raging predators. So, are we going to lock them up or throw them under a bus......because they might do something down the road?!? Not only does that victimize them all over again, it is morally, ethically, and legally wrong. See......constitutionally speaking, the cops can't do anything to anyone until they actually violate some law/rule/ordinance/regulation.

Well stated Sotex.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Way to go Sotex, very well said. I think the biggest problem I have with your statement cclaxton is when do you draw the line? Do you start looking at combat vets as well, because hey they might have some issues down the road? Or do we just stop with people that had bad child hoods (even if they are now productive adults)?

User Tag List