Page 479 of 807 FirstFirst ... 379429469477478479480481489529579 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,790 of 8061

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Sheriff’s officials said Jakeem McMillian, 17, of Pompano Beach, and another teen - John Sidney Clark IV, of Lauderhill - were in the car, which was reported stolen. Both boys potentially face charges of robbery and grand theft auto. Martin County Sheriff William Snyder said Michael Dacey thought gunfire was going to be coming out of the vehicle. “He’s legitimately in fear of his life. He’s legitimately in fear of his employee,” Snyder said. “He was afraid that his wife had just been robbed at gunpoint.” Snyder said in violent encounters things happen fast, and adrenaline is pumping. “We have to step back as investigators and try to get into the mind of the person who fired the gun and at the point that he fired the gun was he justified,” Snyder said. Snyder said if McMillian dies, then Clark will be charged with felony murder, which he said prosecutors agreed with. Clark was arrested on robbery and grand theft auto charges.
    https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/cr...ty/2309484002/
    It’s a good story, and I wish no ill on Dacey, but I think he is lucky that he isn’t gettting criminally charged (so far). Civil court will likely not be as forgiving. I wouldn’t want to roll those dice with my life.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

It was a lucky shot, that's for sure. Did you notice the background?

Site Supporter
    $2550 of property vs. the expense of a legal defense. I'm been told in class that even if it is a 'good shoot', if you get a lawyer (good idea), you are looking at $5k to start. If you go to trial - well, you will be selling your jewelry.

What part of preventing 'grievous bodily harm' don't people get. I think we are seeing in these a psychological sense of dominance hierarchy violation and protection of your personal primate boundaries that overwhelms common sense plus a tendency to pursue in a forward panic for violence.

An observation from an Insights class instructor, John Holschen - you get the drop on the bad guy who is trying to rob or assault you. You issue commands and don't get compliance (you are not the law). Instead of keeping the miscreant covered and moving back, getting away - you approach, screaming more commands. Want to be the big alpha primate!

He shot at a moving target surrounded by innocents. Great plan.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 12-17-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    Richmond school shooting: 14-year-old took hostage, mom called in tip

Mom calls cops on son. School shooting prevented. Son killed by apparent self-inflicted GSW after shootout with police. No other injuries reported.
    Hard to imagine losing your son this way. Hopefully mom takes some consolation from having saved others.

Richmond Community Schools were placed on lockdown Thursday after police received a tip about a “potential violent act” at Dennis Intermediate.

The Indiana State Police confirmed Friday afternoon that the mother of suspect Brandon Clegg called in the tip warning police about a “potential violent act” at Dennis Intermediate School after the boy took another family member hostage and forced the family member to drive him to the school.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Richmond school shooting: 14-year-old took hostage, mom called in tip

Mom calls cops on son. School shooting prevented. Son killed by apparent self-inflicted GSW after shootout with police. No other injuries reported.
    Hard to imagine losing your son this way. Hopefully mom takes some consolation from having saved others.
    Her actions were heroic knowing full well the potential consequences. My heart goes out to her.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    There are no winners here.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-d...ame-police-say

Florida dad shoots, kills son to save younger son during violent fight over billiards game, police say

A Florida father, faced with a devastating choice, shot and killed his older son in order to save his younger child after the brothers got into a violent fight over a game of pool Sunday, police said.

Police received a 911 call at 5:47 a.m. from a woman, identified as Marie Maloney, who said her son, Joseph Maloney, 30, was acting irrational and needed to be “Baker Acted” at their Stuart home in The Florida Club, Martin County Sheriff William Snyder said in a news conference. The mother was referring to the Florida Mental Health Act that allows officials to involuntarily examine a person showing signs of possible mental illness.
    Before deputies arrived at the home, however, Marie called 911 again. This time, she said her husband, John Maloney, shot Joseph after the 30-year-old got into a violent altercation with his 26-year-old brother, James Maloney.

The couple later told police their sons had been drinking when an argument over a billiards game escalated.

Joseph placed James in a chokehold while holding a “rather large butterfly knife” over his head, police said. The father verbally intervened in an effort to get his older son to release his grip, but to no avail.

The couple said they heard their younger son pleading to his sibling to let go and saying he couldn’t breathe, and once James began to lose consciousness, John fired his revolver, striking Joseph several times.

Snyder said Joseph had been acting irrationally in the hours before the deadly shooting. At one point, Joseph attacked a door with a machete while his parents locked themselves in the bedroom. James then intervened and attempted to keep his brother calm and away from their parents, according to police.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-18-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Dear God that's horrifying.

In keeping with the season, here's one with a more cheerful outcome. (Copied from a post on the S&W forum.)

PICKENS COUNTY, SC
    One of two inmates who escaped a South Carolina jail early Tuesday was shot dead by a homeowner near the jail, and the second one is in police custody, according to authorities.
    Two detention officers were “physically assaulted and taken captive” at the Pickens County detention center around 2:40 a.m. Tuesday, FOX Carolina reported.
    One inmate was taken into custody after the escape, but the other was fatally shot by a homeowner not far from the jail, according to WYFF.
    Pickens County Coroner Kandy Kelley identified the dead inmate as 30-year-old Bruce Webb McLaughlin Jr. He died at Greenville Memorial Hospital from a gunshot wound to the head, Kelley said in a release.
    A homeowner who lives near the jail called 911 around 3 a.m., according to WSPA. She shot the inmate, identified as McLaughlin, when he was near her bedroom door after he kicked in her back door, the station reported.

The woman lives alone and has a concealed-weapons permit, the sheriff said, according to The Greenville News. The inmate was armed with a knife when the homeowner shot him, the newspaper reported.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/M...503149581.html

Open carry attempt at education goes awry.

A friend of mine had a get together. Some guy he doesn't know (spouse of someone, I think), show up with an OC 1911 and asks if it is ok. Well, they said it was - what you gonna do? I asked the condition of the gun - hammer down. So the guy was a poser, IMHO. I find it extremely rude to OC to someone's house without previous permission as DBs may not be welcome. I don't think he is welcome anymore.

Customer shoots 2 of 3 armed suspects during NC convenience store robbery

At about 2:15 a.m. on Christmas Day, two armed men went into a North Carolina convenience store and held the clerk and two customers at gunpoint, according to the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office.

The robbery did not go as planned.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/st...#storylink=cpy

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-car...ays/1675133470

User Tag List