Page 597 of 807 FirstFirst ... 97497547587595596597598599607647697 ... LastLast
Results 5,961 to 5,970 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I get that some folks just want to bang on the jihadi drum, often for some sort of other agenda (ironic how many will pitch a bitch that the left is "using a tragedy to curtail gun rights" but then use the same tragedy as a reason to scream "jihadi!") but if homeboy had a legit set of mental problems then the even if he shouted "a la peanut butter and jelly sandwiches" while firing that doesn't make him a "jihadi".

I have a relative that is bat-crap-crazy. When he goes off his meds he gets on about Cuba, and revolutions, and all that shit. Doesn't make him a "marxist" or whatever.

no more so than someone that thinks aliens are probing his asshole is a Martian.
    Lots of screen shots online of his (now deleted) Facebook page showing ISIS support. Also reports from gov that he planned to attack the Trump rally in CO but it was cancelled due to Covid.

I guess we will know in the next few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Lots of screen shots online of his (now deleted) Facebook page showing ISIS support. Also reports from gov that he planned to attack the Trump rally in CO but it was cancelled due to Covid.

I guess we will know in the next few hours.
    I doubt any information will come out that will change the view of anyone that's already called him "Jihadi".

Or anyone that thinks he's likely just a whacko with a fashionable lightning rod to grip on to.

Either way, one interesting question would be, what's the line in the sand for "jihadi"? Affiliated with a recognized organization? unrecognized? got a couple of mad Arab friends? social media pictures? manifesto? verbalization at the time of attack? Is there any amount of "crazy" at which point the ideology is kind of irrelevant?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I get that some folks just want to bang on the jihadi drum, often for some sort of other agenda (ironic how many will pitch a bitch that the left is "using a tragedy to curtail gun rights" but then use the same tragedy as a reason to scream "jihadi!") but if homeboy had a legit set of mental problems then the even if he shouted "a la peanut butter and jelly sandwiches" while firing that doesn't make him a "jihadi".

I have a relative that is bat-crap-crazy. When he goes off his meds he gets on about Cuba, and revolutions, and all that shit. Doesn't make him a "marxist" or whatever.

no more so than someone that thinks aliens are probing his asshole is a Martian.
    I don't think bat-crap-crazy and jihadi are necessarily independent things. There isn't any real information available which makes me more curious.

I doubt any information will come out that will change the view of anyone that's already called him "Jihadi".

Or anyone that thinks he's likely just a whacko with a fashionable lightning rod to grip on to.

Either way, one interesting question would be, what's the line in the sand for "jihadi"? Affiliated with a recognized organization? unrecognized? got a couple of mad Arab friends? social media pictures? manifesto? verbalization at the time of attack? Is there any amount of "crazy" at which point the ideology is kind of irrelevant?
    The reports are that he swore allegiance to ISIS. And that he planned an earlier terror attack last year that was foiled by covid. The reports also say yesterday’s date coincided with terror attacks in Europe the last few years by ISIS lone wolfs, including the Paris attack. So I’d say, yes, that would make him a jihadi. Or are we going to say all ISIS members are crazy so it’s not an ideology?

Edit to add: Brussels attack not Paris
    Last edited by EPF; 03-23-2021 at 01:55 PM.

I'm honestly shocked that they haven't photoshopped a light skin tone and a MAGA hat on to the shooter. Yet.

As far as mental illness vs engaging in "Jihad", they an be mutually exclusive of each other.
    We don't know shit yet. However, I would be interested to see his passport and the stamps within. Although one can be radicalized without leaving CONUS.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    well, that's a good point but...

if he came here when he was 3 I don't know if it's totally relevant

and...

the left is currently uninterested in stemming the tide of future D voters so I wouldn't expect to see that change. I'd think that mental health and education reform, at least in principal, would be something we could all agree on.

I already see this guy being called a "jihadi" in various places, which seems a stretch at best from the information so far.
    Schizophrenia is inherited and runs in families. It's unlikely he is the only family member with mental health issues. If the family was actually screened for medical / mental health issues the way the law requires it's likely he would have never made it in.

Let's see, what else does he have in common with...

Pulse Nightclub
    San Bernardino
    Ft. Hood
    Garland
    and Boston Marathon?

Yep, all 2nd gen terrorists. Ok, technically he was already born when he came here, but at 3 yo, he wouldn't even remember.

I found this quote interesting...

"Meanwhile, law enforcement officials told The New York Times his identity was known to the FBI because of his alleged connection to a different person whom the bureau was investigating."

The crazy spin is just that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Name:  crazy.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  69.7 KB
    I smell gas.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Schizophrenia is inherited and runs in families. It's unlikely he is the only family member with mental health issues. If the family was actually screened for medical / mental health issues the way the law requires it's likely he would have never made it in.
    Yes, but that would be racist or Islamophobic or whatever excuse of the day fits the bill.

User Tag List