Page 697 of 808 FirstFirst ... 197597647687695696697698699707747797 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,970 of 8076

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    ETA: Brady says
    “Here’s what we’re not going to do: continue to uplift the NRA myth of a ‘good guy with a gun,’ Brown wrote. “Let me be clear: If more guns made us safer, America would be the safest country in the WORLD. We need sensible gun laws, not vigilante safety nets.”
    I think America would be much safer if the bad guys knew that their peers routinely met their demise during the commission of a crime due to an armed citizen.

Brady folks are talking about a pretty much disarmed society in many high crime areas.

How many states have constitutional carry or shall issue? We don't routinely hear about two permit holders getting into a gunfight over some perceived threat, normal circumstance is generally clear cut that someone was committing an offense that warranted the citizen's use of force.

Constitutional carry, though, cuts both ways, we've seen recent events where the bad guy was not a prohibited person, so the Brady true believers will conflate their actions with constitutional carry where possible.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I wonder if the mentally ill sub-set of folks who commit these acts won't see this as a chance to play "COD for realz".
    Wouldn't be shocked at all if in some deep, dark corner of the interwebz there are chat rooms of losers who keep "score" on this stuff.
    Then again, I'm not a mental health professional, how about you?

There are those deep, dark corners where they do just that; keep score. They also spread memes of former shooters as saints.

I don't have a reference handy, but I've definitely read about it, and have seen slightly tamer stuff myself.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    And yet there they are, with plate carriers, AR's, and sometimes Go-Pro's for the FPV, just like COD. I'm not saying COD and the like are causation, but more like an add-on option, to preserve their "legacy". They know they will face armed opponents at some point, all depends on LE response time. Playing "Roland the Gunslinger" against another armed shooter probably won't really be a turn off.

This event we are discussing is really an outlier when you compare it to most mass shootings, from what I have seen.

I think they "COD up" because that's there expectation of what preparing to fight looks like. My son's doughy ass friend who can't hike 4 miles packless without turning into a sweaty blubber monster tried to tell me about the superiority of SMGs on the battlefield. Where does his information come from? Video games, primarily. He's a nice kid but he got the brief "I don't give a fuck what you think because you have no frame of reference" speech after humoring him for about 15 minutes. Also remember a 20 year old was born after 9/11. GWOT has a bigger impact on their culture than ours because it's been happening literally their entire lives. They have no frame of reference for a world not involved with GWOT, while guys my age remember the Cold War and the pre-9/11 world.

I strongly believe that fame gained is a part of it, and getting their 'message' out is another. What your fucked up manifesto touted on national news? Be a mass shooter. The media creates and drives mass shootings. I'm a firm supporter of https://www.dontnamethem.org/ as a counter, but blood sells as well as sex and you can't get the media to turn down those juicy eyeballs making them cash by airing the details as long as we as consumers suck them up.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    There are those deep, dark corners where they do just that; keep score. They also spread memes of former shooters as saints.

I don't have a reference handy, but I've definitely read about it, and have seen slightly tamer stuff myself.
    Deep, dark corners?!?

F me, CNN does it for you.

The Gun Violence Archive even formats their list like a high score board:

Looks like this:

Last edited by Guerrero; 07-20-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I think they "COD up" because that's there expectation of what preparing to fight looks like. My son's doughy ass friend who can't hike 4 miles packless without turning into a sweaty blubber monster tried to tell me about the superiority of SMGs on the battlefield. Where does his information come from? Video games, primarily. He's a nice kid but he got the brief "I don't give a fuck what you think because you have no frame of reference" speech after humoring him for about 15 minutes. Also remember a 20 year old was born after 9/11. GWOT has a bigger impact on their culture than ours because it's been happening literally their entire lives. They have no frame of reference for a world not involved with GWOT, while guys my age remember the Cold War and the pre-9/11 world.

I strongly believe that fame gained is a part of it, and getting their 'message' out is another. What your fucked up manifesto touted on national news? Be a mass shooter. The media creates and drives mass shootings. I'm a firm supporter of https://www.dontnamethem.org/ as a counter, but blood sells as well as sex and you can't get the media to turn down those juicy eyeballs making them cash by airing the details as long as we as consumers suck them up.
    The Scandinavians studied this back in IIRC the 80s with teen suicides. Once they stopped sensationalizing it, the copycats and overall rates plummeted. But as you said, blood sells, and the media wants money and hates guns so this lets them kill two birds with one stone.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

A poster on another board told me that minimizing publicity for wackos was an infringement of the First Amendment, therefore an unfeasible means of removing that incentive to kill.
    Balderdash.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A poster on another board told me that minimizing publicity for wackos was an infringement of the First Amendment, therefore an unfeasible means of removing that incentive to kill.
    Balderdash.
    A law enforcing it would be an infringement of the 1st.

Media outlets doing it of their own volition, and a desire to prevent copycats, would not be.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post

Media outlets doing it of their own volition, and a desire to prevent copycats, would not be.
    Right. Dean Ing once wrote a story 'Very Proper Charlies' (a British insult). A group of media execs agreed to play down and ridicule terrorists. No matter how much carnage and damage they caused, the news reports would portray them as dumb and inept. The story header was a wild eyed man with a stick of dynamite, fuse lit, in his teeth.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post

No different than how media outlets almost universally will not print names of sexual assault victims.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

He would not qualify as a "responsible gun owner" on my card.

But TX has some different rules about shooting at theives.

"In February, Earls was hunting down a man who had just robbed him when he opened fire on a Houston street
    He fired at the Alvarez family's SUV, mistaking it for one the robber hopped into, and killed Arlene Alvarez
    He was originally charged with aggravated assault but a Grand Jury declined to indict on Tuesday"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-girl-9.html
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List