Page 732 of 807 FirstFirst ... 232632682722730731732733734742782 ... LastLast
Results 7,311 to 7,320 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Site Supporter
    Squirrels can be obnoxious. When we first moved to TX, we rented an upper floor apartment until our house was built. There were squirrels in the AC vents who would chatter at you at night. Spooky at first. We were only there for a few months though.

I do agree that there is something else going on with the young man, sadly. After the Saratoga shooting, there's some discussion on whether screamed 'drop the gun' repeatedly gets through to folks who are in some abnormal state. Different discussion.

Shooting incidents in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Just heard the nephew of a friend was shot by Austin police and died.

The story from the family is he had just bought a rifle, heard rats or squirrels on the roof, and went outside and fired the rifle at the squirrels up on the roof.

Of course a neighbor called it in as a man shooting a rifle at a house.

He was a legit good smart young dude. The family and friends are obviously distraught, and are making noises about why did the police shoot my boy. I tried to respectfully communicate what a dumbass maneuver shooting a rifle up at your roof in a populated community is on so many levels. The message maybe got through to one person. SMH, what a useless tragedy.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/sout...an-moonesinghe
    Maybe totally off base, but…

“a lack of safety culture …has become the primary cause of India’s safety woes”
    https://www.britsafe.in/publications...s-safety-woes/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Customer shoots a shoplifter who was fighting with a store employee; shoplifter dies, and customer is arrested for murder.

A warning about "helping out" at a store by shooting shoplifters or by shooting people fighting with store employees--unless there is some type of extenuating circumstances--like the employee is being stomped to death. Even then, you don't likely know who is who or what is going on, making it unwise to get involved. Other legal cautions apply, as you may be seen as applying deadly force before trying lesser alternatives.

From: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...on-police-say/

"An alleged robbery incident at a Family Dollar in east Oak Cliff on Tuesday left one man dead and another behind bars.

Just before 7:30 p.m., officers responded to a shooting call in the 3200 block of S. Lancaster Road and found 26-year-old Phillips Betts with a gunshot wound lying in front of the store, Dallas police said in a news release.

Betts died at the scene, police said.

Officers determined a fight happened inside the store after Betts was confronted by employees over items he was trying to steal, according to the release. Police said a customer, 47-year-old Kevin Jackson Sr., came into the store, witnessed the fight, then shot Betts.

“The victim stumbled outside the store and collapsed,” the release said, adding that he did not have any weapons.

Jackson was arrested and booked into the Lew Sterrett Jail. He faces a murder charge, and it was unclear if he had an attorney.

The investigation is ongoing."
    Last edited by Ed L; 12-01-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Just heard the nephew of a friend was shot by Austin police and died.

The story from the family is he had just bought a rifle, heard rats or squirrels on the roof, and went outside and fired the rifle at the squirrels up on the roof.

Of course a neighbor called it in as a man shooting a rifle at a house.

He was a legit good smart young dude. The family and friends are obviously distraught, and are making noises about why did the police shoot my boy. I tried to respectfully communicate what a dumbass maneuver shooting a rifle up at your roof in a populated community is on so many levels. The message maybe got through to one person. SMH, what a useless tragedy.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/sout...an-moonesinghe
    Yeah I don’t even know how the family “knows” he was shooting at animals on the roof, didn’t want to push that question.
    APD has released both surveillance video from the house and badge cam footage. Not enough context to be sure but dialogue captured by the home video makes me wonder if this was a suicide by cop or other mental health issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    APD has released both surveillance video from the house and badge cam footage. Not enough context to be sure but dialogue captured by the home video makes me wonder if this was a suicide by cop or other mental health issue.

I don’t want to be on record as liking that post, but I appreciate the info.

Does this count as a "shooting incident"?
    Destruction of power supply in winter is certainly endangering lives.

Over 40,000 Moore County, North Carolina residents were powerless on Sunday afternoon after two substations were taken out by gunfire on Saturday night, according to police.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-car...county-sheriff
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Does this count as a "shooting incident"?
    Destruction of power supply in winter is certainly endangering lives.

Over 40,000 Moore County, North Carolina residents were powerless on Sunday afternoon after two substations were taken out by gunfire on Saturday night, according to police.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-car...county-sheriff
    Local news is it the FBI is now investigating also.

Thankfully the forecast weather for the next week is relatively mild.

Projecting a week or so without power because of gunshots. There's been several discussions about how vulnerable our power grid is. However it's almost always put in reference to something like an EMP strike. Here we are seeing how a bunch of plain old bullets can cause a lot of grief

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Here we are seeing how a bunch of plain old bullets can cause a lot of grief
    Yes, my agency once did an assessment of a particular installation. Outside attack was not part of the scope but I slipped in a paragraph saying that a saboteur with a heavy rifle could do a lot of damage from outside the fence.

Horseplay Turned Deadly... Again

A 23-year-old Florida sheriff’s deputy was fatally shot by his fellow deputy roommate over the weekend, in what the sheriff described as a “clearly dumb and avoidable accident.”

Brevard County Sheriff’s Office deputy Austin Walsh was killed Saturday morning in Palm Bay by his roommate Andrew Lawson, Sheriff Wayne Ivey said in a Sunday news conference.

The two were taking a break from playing online games with friends and were standing and talking together when Lawson, who believed he had unloaded his gun, “jokingly” pointed the weapon at Walsh and pulled the trigger, Ivey said, citing the probe by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Palm Bay Police Department.

A single bullet was fired, struck Walsh, and killed him, officials said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...721ff7f042e2e1

Incomprehensible.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List