Jim Watson

"Sir, I made up my mind on that a long time ago."

THIS^^^^^^!!!!!!!!
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    For one going bad: https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/16/us/oh...ge?cid=ios_app

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-man-...ieved-scamming

Pretty awful. An old man thinks an Uber driver (a 61 year old heavy woman) is part of plot to scam him. So he confronts her and basically just shoots her repeatedly with no reason - and as she flees. If you see the picture and video, it's pretty bad.

What do I know but I'd bet he has diminished cognitive capacity. He's shooting some kind of single action revolver. Probably a remnant of his youth or bought to 'defend' himself. For some reason, I think the gun used is indicative in some way of someone way out of any reasonable idea of self-defense. Not that it would be better if he opened up with a Staccato. Just looks like a underwear gun gone bad. But this is just speculation.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I'd bet he has diminished cognitive capacity.
    By that metric most of my LTC class had 'diminished cognitive capacity'.

The mind reels at the number of morons who had an absolutely looney tunes grasp of what a justifiable use of force looks like. I think Michael Cargill spent 90% of that class basically playing youtube videos of incidents that weren't justifiable and just leaving people gobsmacked that the "defender" went to prison. I'm not naive enough to think it got through to most of them.

This guy would have been right at home. If there were a 4 Rules of bad 'defensive' shootings I kinda feel like #1 would be "shoot at fleeing, unarmed people because you think they might have maybe committed a misdemeanor or something." JFC this is the Arbery murder all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    By that metric most of my LTC class had 'diminished cognitive capacity'.

The mind reels at the number of morons who had an absolutely looney tunes grasp of what a justifiable use of force looks like. I think Michael Cargill spent 90% of that class basically playing youtube videos of incidents that weren't justifiable and just leaving people gobsmacked that the "defender" went to prison. I'm not naive enough to think it got through to most of them.

This guy would have been right at home. If there were a 4 Rules of bad 'defensive' shootings I kinda feel like #1 would be "shoot at fleeing, unarmed people because you think they might have maybe committed a misdemeanor or something." JFC this is the Arbery murder all over again.
    An inordinate number of otherwise intelligent people believe that getting pissed off enough is grounds for a justified shoot, and if it ain't... well, that's liberal commie bullshit.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on..." Add in that their definition of "Trespassing" includes cops, meter readers, school children, delivery drivers and any random stranger who breaks the plane of their property line; or that cutting them off in traffic constitutes Attempted Murder...

Site Supporter
    The Castle Doctrine has aided in that. On the local Nextdoor, a locked and loaded guy was waiting for the next car prowl. He left his car unlocked - surprise. Now he's ready for them! Tell him that it's a bad idea - WHY, we have a castle doctrine.

Should take one day out of High School and run the kids through the reality of what the laws actually mean.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    For one going bad: https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/16/us/oh...ge?cid=ios_app

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-man-...ieved-scamming

Pretty awful. An old man thinks an Uber driver (a 61 year old heavy woman) is part of plot to scam him. So he confronts her and basically just shoots her repeatedly with no reason - and as she flees. If you see the picture and video, it's pretty bad.

What do I know but I'd bet he has diminished cognitive capacity. He's shooting some kind of single action revolver. Probably a remnant of his youth or bought to 'defend' himself. For some reason, I think the gun used is indicative in some way of someone way out of any reasonable idea of self-defense. Not that it would be better if he opened up with a Staccato. Just looks like an underwear gun gone bad. But this is just speculation.
    While the shooting is unjustified the shooter may not be as diminished as you think.

An incarcerated relative of the old man was actually trying to scam him and the scammer was able to request the Uber driver go to the old man’s house to pick up the money via Uber’s “pick up a package” service.

So there was actually a plot to scam him, it’s just that the Uber driver was an unwitting participant.

This is just another example of why contraband cell phones in jails and prisons are a problem. I think it’s likely the scammer will be charged with felony murder for setting the whole thing in motion.

User Tag List