Page 678 of 807 FirstFirst ... 178578628668676677678679680688728778 ... LastLast
Results 6,771 to 6,780 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Site Supporter
    https://www.ksat.com/news/national/2...church-attack/

Hate against Taiwanese people led to church attack in California, authorities say

[QUOTE]LAGUNA WOODS, Calif. – A gunman in a deadly attack at a Southern California church was a Chinese immigrant motivated by hate for Taiwanese people, authorities said.
    The shooter killed Dr. John Cheng, 52, and wounded five others during a lunch held by Irvine Taiwanese Presbyterian Church, which worships at Geneva Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods, authorities said at a Monday news conference.
    Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said the motive of the shooting was a grievance between the shooter, identified as a Chinese immigrant and U.S. citizen, and the Taiwanese community. China claims Taiwan is a part of its national territory and has not ruled out force to bring the island under its rule.
    The suspect was identified as David Chou, 68, of Las Vegas. He has been booked on one count of murder and five counts of attempted murder and is being held on $1 million bail.
    Chou is expected to appear in state court Tuesday and it was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney who could speak on his behalf. A federal hate crimes investigation is also ongoing.[

Chou's family was among many that were apparently forcibly removed from China to Taiwan sometime after 1948, Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said. Chou's hatred toward the island, documented in hand-written notes that authorities found, seems like it began when he felt he wasn't treated well while living there.
    Barnes, the sheriff, said Chou drove from Las Vegas to the Orange County church, where he was not a regular attendee, secured the doors with chains, super glue and nails and started shooting. The gunman had placed four Molotov cocktail-like devices inside the church.
    Barnes said Cheng, a sports medicine doctor who is survived by a wife and two children, heroically charged at the shooter and attempted to disarm him, allowing others to intervene. Cheng probably saved the lives “of upwards of dozens of people,” the sheriff said.
    A pastor hit the gunman on the head with a chair and parishioners hog-tied him with electrical cords. But Cheng was hit by gunfire.

“I will tell you that evil was in that church,” Spitzer said, who added that Chou had “an absolute bias” against Taiwan and its people.
    A former neighbor, meanwhile, says Chou's life unraveled after he was nearly beaten to death several years ago.
    Chou had been a pleasant man who used to own the Las Vegas apartment building where he lived, Balmore Orellana told The Associated Press.
    But Orellana said Chou received a head injury and serious body injuries in an attack by a tenant and he sold the property. The neighbor said that last summer Chou fired a gun inside his apartment. No one was hurt but he was evicted.
    Orellana says Chou’s mental ability seemed to diminish in recent months, he was angry that the government didn’t provide comfort in his retirement, and he may have been homeless.
    At the California church, Jerry Chen had just stepped into the kitchen of the church's fellowship hall around 1:30 p.m. Sunday when he heard the gunshots.

/QUOTE]

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=HCM;1353947]https://www.ksat.com/news/national/2...church-attack/

Hate against Taiwanese people led to church attack in California, authorities say

LAGUNA WOODS, Calif. – A gunman in a deadly attack at a Southern California church was a Chinese immigrant motivated by hate for Taiwanese people, authorities said.
    The shooter killed Dr. John Cheng, 52, and wounded five others during a lunch held by Irvine Taiwanese Presbyterian Church, which worships at Geneva Presbyterian Church in Laguna Woods, authorities said at a Monday news conference.
    Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said the motive of the shooting was a grievance between the shooter, identified as a Chinese immigrant and U.S. citizen, and the Taiwanese community. China claims Taiwan is a part of its national territory and has not ruled out force to bring the island under its rule.
    The suspect was identified as David Chou, 68, of Las Vegas. He has been booked on one count of murder and five counts of attempted murder and is being held on $1 million bail.
    Chou is expected to appear in state court Tuesday and it was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney who could speak on his behalf. A federal hate crimes investigation is also ongoing.[

Chou's family was among many that were apparently forcibly removed from China to Taiwan sometime after 1948, Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said. Chou's hatred toward the island, documented in hand-written notes that authorities found, seems like it began when he felt he wasn't treated well while living there.
    Barnes, the sheriff, said Chou drove from Las Vegas to the Orange County church, where he was not a regular attendee, secured the doors with chains, super glue and nails and started shooting. The gunman had placed four Molotov cocktail-like devices inside the church.
    Barnes said Cheng, a sports medicine doctor who is survived by a wife and two children, heroically charged at the shooter and attempted to disarm him, allowing others to intervene. Cheng probably saved the lives “of upwards of dozens of people,” the sheriff said.
    A pastor hit the gunman on the head with a chair and parishioners hog-tied him with electrical cords. But Cheng was hit by gunfire.

“I will tell you that evil was in that church,” Spitzer said, who added that Chou had “an absolute bias” against Taiwan and its people.
    A former neighbor, meanwhile, says Chou's life unraveled after he was nearly beaten to death several years ago.
    Chou had been a pleasant man who used to own the Las Vegas apartment building where he lived, Balmore Orellana told The Associated Press.
    But Orellana said Chou received a head injury and serious body injuries in an attack by a tenant and he sold the property. The neighbor said that last summer Chou fired a gun inside his apartment. No one was hurt but he was evicted.
    Orellana says Chou’s mental ability seemed to diminish in recent months, he was angry that the government didn’t provide comfort in his retirement, and he may have been homeless.
    At the California church, Jerry Chen had just stepped into the kitchen of the church's fellowship hall around 1:30 p.m. Sunday when he heard the gunshots.

/QUOTE]
    Ah fuck. I know/knew this guy slightly, I trained with him at Artemis Defense Institute at their 180 degree simulation setups. Dammit.

[QUOTE=luckyman;1354071]
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.ksat.com/news/national/2...church-attack/

Ah fuck. I know/knew this guy slightly, I trained with him at Artemis Defense Institute at their 180 degree simulation setups. Dammit.
    Which guy? Dr Cheng, or Mr Chou?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Lex Luthier;1354158]
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Which guy? Dr Cheng, or Mr Chou?
    Dr Cheng.

Site Supporter
    Damn, sorry for this loss. Is there a proscription for carrying in church there? That's an old debate. I have friends in TX that I moved from carrying a Taurus 85 to a Glock in church. However, getting them to train was a failed enterprise. Getting their church defense team (or so it was called) trained was also futile. They did have some LEOs and retired ones though.

[QUOTE=luckyman;1354161]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

Dr Cheng.
    That is awful, and I am sorry to hear it. He had a lot of people who loved and admired him from what I see.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    More on Buffalo shooter and NYS Red Flag law. His writings indicate he knew he was playing the system with his writings about killing and suicide vs. the Red Flag and purchases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/16/n...ng-attack.html

How the NY State Tropper actions on the reports play out will certainly be investigate. What constitutes actionable warning signs is of course a tremendous debate in many venues.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The Asshole of buffalo was apparently posting his plans, in great detail, on some online gamer forum.

Nobody read it? Or those who did said nothing? What the hell is wrong with people?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    According the the experts, these folks usually leak and very few report them. Supposedly more of them are being reported and targeted messaging for young people to get them to report may be working. Who knows. Lots of potentials have been prevented according to the Follmax book I cited earlier.

Young people have been not taking it seriously given the BS that the young produce and also a culture of not being a snitch as a cultural value.

The parents seemed clueless on their kid buying weapons as he wrote. He lied to them about being in school. He tortured killed a cat and asked his mom for a box to put it in - what was that? Said that the psych eval was a joke. 15 minutes of chat in a day of being in the institution. He lied to them that his writing was joke and they bought it. Erie County sheriff said that he should have been reported to NICS (see HCM on that happening) but certainly a NYS Red Flag - this latter one was a major screw up. Unleash the lawyers. Note the sheriff is a good guy on the RKBA if you want to blab about Red Flag laws.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-17-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    This is the third or fourth “random” shooting on this stretch of highway in the last couple of years and I don’t remember seeing news of anyone being arrested for any of them. It’s about 15 minutes from where I live, but a route I rarely take.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...irmingham.html

A Jefferson County man shot to death on Birmingham’s Interstate 59 is being remembered as a devoted father and friend.

Justin Snow, 38, had just left a friend’s wedding Saturday night when Birmingham police found him unresponsive inside his SUV after it struck the median. A bullet had drilled through the passenger’s side window, and Snow was pronounced dead on the scene at 8:04 p.m.

“It’s really just shock,’’ said Seth Alexander, one of Snow’s close friends. “I’m still waiting on him to call me.”

West Precinct officers were dispatched just past 8 p.m. Saturday to I-59 southbound near the Arkadelphia Road exit. A passerby called 911 to report the vehicle in the median.

Officer Truman Fitzgerald said the victim – now identified as Snow - was found in the driver’s seat suffering from an apparent gunshot wound. Investigators quickly located a bullet entry hole on the passenger’s side of the SUV.

“We do believe this driver was shot while driving the vehicle,’’ Fitzgerald said.

Authorities said Snow was traveling in a 2008 white Ford Edge. Detectives believe he was traveling from the downtown Birmingham area going southbound before the shooting.

Detectives are asking if anyone has any dashcam footage of their travel on I-59 South coming from the “downtown area” between 7:15 p.m. until 7:45 p.m. to please notify police as soon as possible.

Sgt. Rod Mauldin said investigators have not yet identified a motive, but said they have not ruled out road rage.

User Tag List