Results 7,461 to 7,470 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    HRT doing work:

Hostage rescue in Greenspoint area started with kidnapping, prosecutor said

https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...6-f2c5483695f5
    Nice job by HRT.

You or @HCM probably can’t comment, but straight up road piracy to take hostages isn’t something I read about everyday, unless it’s maybe a domestic. Disagreement between human smuggling operations or somebody owed their coyote money and escaped the safe house?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Nice job by HRT.

You or @HCM probably can’t comment, but straight up road piracy to take hostages isn’t something I read about everyday, unless it’s maybe a domestic. Disagreement between human smuggling operations or somebody owed their coyote money and escaped the safe house?
    I’ll defer to @HCM, that’s in his neck of the woods.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Nice job by HRT.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I’ll defer to @HCM, that’s in his neck of the woods.
    Unlikely it's random. There was a trend in Phoenix and other places a few years ago for rip crews to steal migrants from stash houses (just like any other commodity) but we haven't seen much of that recently.

No specifics but the most likely scenario is a "levanton" (pronounced Le-van-tone, better known as a "pick up") which is a kidnapping associated with a criminal debt (as opposed to a "secustero" or kidnapping of an innocent victim). Usually they're over drugs but it could be human smuggling related. More likely to be a debt dispute between criminals than reclamation of escaped migrants. If migrants escape the smuggling organizations just go after the family / sponsors to collect the debt.

And of course, any criminal will claim to be an innocent immigrant when taken hostage or rescued.

Site Supporter
    https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...7C%25206%25406

U.S. marshals fatally shoot wanted man in San Antonio hotel near downtown

Agents with the U.S. Marshals Service fatally shot a man Friday at a hotel west of downtown.

The man, who was in his 40s and was wanted for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, was shot on the third floor of the parking garage at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Antonio Downtown in the 500 block of West César Chávez Boulevard.

Sgt. Kenny Mata, with the Texas Department of Public Safety, said the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force had tracked the man to the hotel on Friday

About 11:30 a.m., several agents encountered him in the parking garage. Officers shot the man, Mata said, adding that exactly what unfolded is under investigation.

He was pronounced dead at the scene. No officers were hurt in the incident.

The man, reportedly from New Braunfels, was not immediately identified Friday afternoon.

The Texas Rangers are investigating the shooting. A tent was erected where the shooting appears to have occurred as authorities examined the scene Friday afternoon.

Huntsville Alabama

Two LEO and one civilian in hospital.
    Somebody may be barricaded in an apartment.
    No details, just endless video of police cars at hospital and TV reporters blathering.

Got him, latest

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) - Huntsville Police Department officers and other law enforcement officials took a man in custody after responding to a shots fired call around 4:45 p.m. on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the police department confirmed two officers were shot while answering the shots fired call. A third victim was a woman. The injured officers were taken to Huntsville Hospital with life-threatening injuries.

The spokesperson also confirmed a male suspect barricaded himself in an apartment in the Governors House apartment complex. The man was taken into custody around 6:20 p.m. and taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The incident happened in the 4600 block of Governors House Drive. Traffic near the area of Governors House Drive has been blocked off.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 03-28-2023 at 07:51 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...ios-east-side/

Man armed with AR-15 critically wounded in shootout with SAPD on East Side, police chief says
    Man fired nearly 30 rounds at SAPD officers

SAN ANTONIO – A suspect is in critical condition after San Antonio police officers shot him during a pursuit on the East Side, according to police chief William McManus.
    The initial shooting happened near a carwash on Essex and Hackberry streets Tuesday afternoon. McManus said the 33-year-old suspect had a dispute with another man over money and shot the man in the leg when he couldn’t produce what he owed.

The suspect then drove away to a home in the 1300 block of Mesquite, where police pursued him. McManus said the suspect got between two vehicles with open doors and fired 26 rounds with an AR-15 toward the officers.

He was absolutely ready,” McManus said.
    The officers repositioned themselves to a home across the street, and an officer fired one round, hitting the suspect, McManus said.
    “Very dangerous situation for the officers,” the chief said.
    McManus said it all happened so fast that their only option was to take cover and neutralize the shooter.
    The suspect was transported to a hospital in critical condition, and McManus said it appeared the man wouldn’t survive.
    No officers or residents were injured during the shootout. Several rounds hit patrol vehicles and an SUV and home across the street multiple times, according to McManus.

Site Supporter
    https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...de-police-say/

Stolen vehicle owner tracks truck using Airtag before shooting, killing suspect on Southeast Side, police say
    Police say suspect may have had weapon, but it’s still unclear

SAN ANTONIO – A man in his 30s who stole a vehicle from a North Side home on Wednesday was shot and killed after the owners of the pickup truck tracked it down on the Southeast Side and took matters into their own hands, according to San Antonio police.

SAPD said they received a stolen vehicle report around 1 p.m. from a home on Braesview.
    The owners were able to track the vehicle by using an Apple Airtag that was in the truck when it was stolen. That led them to a shopping center in the 3200 block of Southeast Military Drive.

SAPD said the owners contacted police to report the missing vehicle but decided to confront the suspect before police arrived.

One person got out of the car and attempted to contact the suspect on the side of the truck. It’s unclear what happened next, but police say the suspect may have pulled out a firearm before the other man shot and killed him while in the stolen truck.

“I know that it’s frustrating, but please do not take matters into your own hands,” said Officer Nick Soliz, an SAPD public information officer.

Soliz said it’s believed the only person who fired shots was the person who was looking for the truck and confronted the suspect.

It’s unclear if the man who shot the stolen vehicle suspect will face charges. Police said they’re still investigating whether the suspect actually had a weapon.

Investigators are still working to determine what led up to the shooting. KSAT will update you with the latest as it becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...de-police-say/

Stolen vehicle owner tracks truck using Airtag before shooting, killing suspect on Southeast Side, police say
    Police say suspect may have had weapon, but it’s still unclear
    I’d love to know the response time - I’m sure locals are under huge pressure and a stolen vehicle might slip down the service triage list. I can’t say I’ll cry for the stiff, though - there’s a lot of taking out the garbage as presented. There may be nuance not reported here, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’d love to know the response time - I’m sure locals are under huge pressure and a stolen vehicle might slip down the service triage list. I can’t say I’ll cry for the stiff, though - there’s a lot of taking out the garbage as presented. There may be nuance not reported here, though.
    The biggest variable in the response time is going to be what else is going on. SAPD is pretty good about providing more coverage during the prime times for crime but the area this occurred in is also pretty sporty.

Oh, I found my stolen car via AirTag is a priority call but not a life and death lights and sirens drop everything call.

I think the outcome for the vehicle owner is going to depend a lot on whether or not the thief who was shot was armed. We are increasingly seeing vehicle theft, vehicle burglary and catalytic converter, thieves being armed here, unfortunately, most of them are armed with firearms stolen out of vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    In minor follow-up: https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...-twin-mattress

Key takeaways for me were the acknowledgement of the deceased being a known intermittent exploder prior to his final expansion, and that the final action he took before the gunfire was to throw the baseball bat he had been carrying at\over the heads of the gun-carrying Millers.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...242568611.html

I liked Claude's series on the matter:
    https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....mpster-part-i/
    https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....pster-part-ii/
    https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....ster-part-iii/
    https://www.reporternews.com/story/n...g/69846345007/
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List