Page 526 of 807 FirstFirst ... 26426476516524525526527528536576626 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,260 of 8062

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

New York man sentenced to 7.5 years for gun charge after fatal shooting in Maine

During a York County jury trial last year, 25-year-old Timothy Ortiz of New York City and Westbrook was cleared of the murder and manslaughter accusations after arguing that he acted in self-defense when he shot and killed 30-year-old Jonathan Methot during a dispute over an alleged drug debt on Sept. 26, 2016. But two days later, federal prosecutors charged Ortiz with possession of a firearm by a felon. He pleaded guilty in January and was sentenced in U.S. District Court on Thursday, according to U.S. Attorney Halsey Frank. While normal sentencing guidelines would suggest that Ortiz serve around three or four years in prison, Judge John Woodcock Jr. decided on a sentence that was twice as long. He called Ortiz’s criminal history “disturbing” and cited an “obvious” need to protect the public, according to Frank. Ortiz’s sentence will also include three years of supervised release.
    https://bangordailynews.com/2019/08/...-in-biddeford/

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    During a York County jury trial last year, 25-year-old Timothy Ortiz of New York City and Westbrook was cleared of the murder and manslaughter accusations after arguing that he acted in self-defense when he shot and killed 30-year-old Jonathan Methot during a dispute over an alleged drug debt on Sept. 26, 2016. But two days later, federal prosecutors charged Ortiz with possession of a firearm by a felon. He pleaded guilty in January and was sentenced in U.S. District Court on Thursday, according to U.S. Attorney Halsey Frank. While normal sentencing guidelines would suggest that Ortiz serve around three or four years in prison, Judge John Woodcock Jr. decided on a sentence that was twice as long. He called Ortiz’s criminal history “disturbing” and cited an “obvious” need to protect the public, according to Frank. Ortiz’s sentence will also include three years of supervised release.
    https://bangordailynews.com/2019/08/...-in-biddeford/
    So he wasn't allowed to possess a firearm on Sept 26 2016 because he had 2016 felony convictions for aggravated sex trafficking & heroin distribution. Why was he even out???

Site Supporter
    Everyone has an expectation that their self defense shooting will involve a random stranger in a ski mask, however, “Rashomon” type situations like this are more common than we like to acknowledge.

https://www.ksat.com/news/wife-of-ma...up-to-shooting

Wife of man accused of killing club-wielding man in self-defense recounts what led up to shooting

SAN ANTONIO - The wife of a man who was taken into San Antonio police custody after he shot and killed a man in what the couple says was self-defense is detailing what led to the shooting.
    Elaine Casillas said it started from a rude awakening.

“It was just a lot of loud honking, and at first, I thought it was just normal traffic, like normal rush hour traffic for school. He was honking forever, at least 20-30 honks. So then, I go and check. It is him. I turned around to my husband who was getting ready to take my son to school and said, ‘Call the cops right now,’” Casillas said.

RELATED: Club-wielding man fatally shot by West Side homeowner, San Antonio police say

Casillas said the man who showed up was the stepfather of a 21-year-old man her daughter was dating. She said the two families have a strained relationship. San Antonio police said the man was going to pick up his stepson.

“They are not to be on the property, and the police have already told them not to be trespassing. I said, ‘You need to tell him to leave because there is no reason for him to be here,’” Casillas said “We told him where they needed to go — they have boundaries — and that he needed to go pick his stepson up over at the park because of the situation they cause every time they come.”

Casillas said nobody in the house was expecting the man’s stepfather to show up. She said she doesn’t know what triggered his actions.

“We told him he needed to leave, and he rolled down the window and started cussing and saying horrible things,” Casillas said. “He was like Superman, coming out of his truck racing and pushing the gate and making his way into my gate, opening the door and pushing us, and we are shoving him back out, (saying), ‘Get out of our house!’”

She said at that moment, the man allegedly pulled her husband out and the two began to fight on the front porch. Police said the man was swinging a club at them.

“I tried to break them up, but he was so tall. I was hit with his fist to my face, and I am 5 feet 2 inches. He is 6 feet 3 inches. He kept hitting my husband with the club. His glasses were broken. It was just uncalled for. He didn’t need to come over here. This could have all been avoided,” Casillas said.

Casillas said things then took a deadly turn.

“I just remember a faint ‘pop.’ I was still dazed and lost consciousness,” Casillas said. “When I got up and I just turned around … (the stepfather) was there, and he passed.”

Casillas said she was on the phone with 911 the entire time.

“I was freaking out the entire time, screaming on the phone, trying to get them to hurry up,” Casillas said. “I told them, ‘Hurry up! He is shot!”

When first responders got to the scene, Casillas was taken to the hospital, where she said she suffered from a contusion from being hit. She said her husband, who was taken into custody, was bruised up, as well.

“My daughter and his stepson just got up late,” Casillas said. “I asked them, ‘Was he supposed to be here?’ They said no. His stepson was supposed to meet him elsewhere. He was supposed to pick him up at the park where they usually meet. I guess since (the stepson) wasn’t there. He decided to take it out on us. We could have resolved this.”

Casillas said she and her husband are beyond troubled by the incident.

“My husband did not want to do that,” Casillas said. “He is sorry. He is hurting mentally right now. It is killing him. He never wanted to have to use a gun ever to hurt anybody else.”

She said though she fears this loss will only damage the relationship more between the two families, she hopes they can somehow find peace.

“To his daughters, I want to say I know what it is like to lose a father,” Casillas said through tears. “My father died from stage 4 liver cancer four years ago. I was once in your shoes but make your shoes your own. Don’t let hate to bring you down."

“Some people can forgive and love again, and some can hate and not forgive,” she said. “I understand you are going to have to live with this for the rest of your lives, but know your father is always going to be your guardian angel.”

She also had some words of wisdom for the man’s sons, as well.

“Be men of God and don’t be men of the world,” Casillas said. “He wouldn’t have wanted that for you. I know we have already had threats of retaliation, but he wouldn’t want to see you locked up for something he caused as a grown man.”

The Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office has yet to identify the man, but his family reached out to KSAT and identified him as Esteven Barbosa. They said Barbosa was a U.S. Marine who was honorably discharged. They also said that though Casillas and police said Barbosa was swinging a club, they believe that accusation to be false, stating that he was defending himself and his son in his truck.

It's unclear if the shooter will face charges, as investigators still have to determine if the shooting was justified.

"We have to look at it," McManus said.

The homeowner was detained and is speaking to police.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-23-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Video shows officer shoot an unarmed 16-year-old as he runs away.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/24/us/fr...ger/index.html

(CNN)Newly released video of a fatal police shooting in April 2017 shows an officer firing a deadly shot at an unarmed 16-year-old who had jumped over a fence and was running away.

Police in Fresno, California, say that three different official departments have ruled the shooting justified.

The surveillance camera footage, provided by attorney Stuart Chandler, shows 16-year-old Isiah Murrietta Golding climb a fence and enter a small yard as he is being chased by two officers.
    Murrietta Golding, wearing a gray sweater, lands on his feet and starts to run. One officer climbs the fence while the other gets into a crouching stance and fires through the fence, the video shows. Murrietta Golding then stumbles and falls to the ground.
    In the police body camera footage, also provided by the attorney, someone off camera can be heard saying "good shot."
    Murrietta Golding's parents filed separate wrongful death lawsuits against the city of Fresno and several of its officers in March 2018. Chandler, who represents Murrietta Golding's father, said the suits were filed separately because the couple are divorced.
    The bullet went through the back of the teen's head, according to the father's lawsuit, and he died three days later. The lawsuit claims the officer who fired had no "objective facts" to believe that Murrietta Golding was armed or reaching for a weapon. The teen was unarmed, the lawsuit states.
    "The fact that the police department and the city of Fresno's police auditor all agreed that this shooting was justified is troubling in light of the video that clearly shows that it's not," Chandler told CNN.
    Last edited by Mystery; 10-24-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    As usual, CNN left out a few details.

Fresno Police Chief Andrew Hall released a statement saying in part:

“The use of lethal force in this case occurred while officers were investigating a homicide. The 16 year-old in this case was involved in the homicide with his brother and the brother was later arrested and pled guilty. The video represents a different vantage point and was not what the pursuing officers could see. The 16 year-old was also known to carry firearms and had jumped a fence into a child daycare center.”

At the time of the incident former chief Jerry Dyer said the officer who fired thought the teen was armed and reaching for a weapon.

The general consensus is the 16-year-old reached down to his waist band to hold up his pants in order to run better. However given the circumstances, the officers had every reason to believe that he was armed and later investigation confirmed that he and his brother were the Persons who committed the original murder the officers were investigating

The real world is not black or white it is shades of gray. If anyone has questions about how officers can be factually wrong but legally correct based on the information available to them at the time you need to read the US supreme court case Graham versus Connor.

Video of Mendocino County Sheriff's vs a guy with a .50 Desert Eagle... fairly close-up dashcam and audio.

http://kymkemp.com/2019/10/26/dash-c...docino-county/

16+ minutes with an intro by Sheriff Tom Allman who has a solid local reputation; one of his officers keeps thinking and shows some leadership skill, the other two mostly mill around aimlessly til told what to do. The perp appears to be hit but not badly.

This is 45 minutes north of the very large Geyserville fire, even though that's in neighboring Sonoma County I expect it's been a busy weekend for these guys, with PG&E outages looming any hour now.

Site Supporter
    Another “negative outcome” shooting:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Of...563924991.html

Off-Duty Officer Accidentally Shoots Adult Son, Police Say

The incident happened at about 6 p.m. Saturday in the 1400 block of Carriage Creek Drive in DeSoto

An off-duty Dallas police officer told dispatchers he accidentally shot his adult son after mistaking him for an intruder Saturday night in DeSoto, police say.
    The incident happened in the 1400 block of Carriage Creek Drive in DeSoto at about 6 p.m. Saturday, police said.
    The man called police, identified himself as an off-duty officer and said he mistook his son for an intruder, DeSoto police said.
    The officer's son was bleeding from his forearm when first responders arrived and was transported to a local hospital with injuries that were not believed to life-threatening, police said.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-27-2019 at 10:54 AM.

6 shot in 16hrs in Durham, NC

Police are investigating another shooting in Durham, meaning six people have now been shot in the city in a span of 16 hours.

https://abc11.com/another-fatal-shoo...hours/5656539/

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Another “negative outcome” shooting:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Of...563924991.html

Off-Duty Officer Accidentally Shoots Adult Son, Police Say

The incident happened at about 6 p.m. Saturday in the 1400 block of Carriage Creek Drive in DeSoto
    Wonder if he negligently pointed a weapon mounted light at someone who wasn’t a threat and didn’t need to be shot - or if he negligently failed to identify the threat with a light before shooting?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Wonder if he negligently pointed a weapon mounted light at someone who wasn’t a threat and didn’t need to be shot - or if he negligently failed to identify the threat with a light before shooting?
    My understanding is the latter.

Pointing a weapon mounted light at somebody for administrative purposes is negligent.

While searching with a handheld is preferable, searching for or confronting a potential intruder is an instance where having a gun out is appropriate regardless of whether or not there is a light attached to it. Better a WML then no light at all.

Despite knowing better, every instance I’m aware of involving an off-duty LEO shooting a family member in error has involved searching in the dark with a handgun and no light at all.

In this particular case, the adult son who was shot did not reside with the Ofc .

User Tag List