Page 284 of 807 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334384784 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 8063

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

How many shots were fired at them or did the two people not drop their weapons? There is a lot of what ifs in that story and not a lot of detail because it is an on going investigation. I am glad they might have learned not to let information out needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    How many shots were fired at them or did the two people not drop their weapons? There is a lot of what ifs in that story and not a lot of detail because it is an on going investigation. I am glad they might have learned not to let information out needlessly.
    Johnson and Wood had a history of gun violations. Police say the father and son planned to target someone before they were shot, but there's no word who would've been their target. Three officers spotted Wood and his 18-year-old son with two loaded guns in East Baltimore on Thursday. "Cops got out of their car and engaged these killers," Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said. Neither Johnson or Wood fired a single shot at the three officers who responded to the scene.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    The joke goes

I never heard that joke.

Heres an interesting one. The first thing that came to mind was, should have stayed out of it. Second thought was should have been concealed.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/nort...lice/119358225
    Last edited by jon volk; 04-07-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon volk View Post
    Heres an interesting one. The first thing that came to mind was, should have stayed out of it. Second thought was should have been concealed.

Concealed didn't matter in this case. The deceased probably saw the holstered handgun and still choose a bad course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by siva.williams View Post
    Concealed didn't matter in this case. The deceased probably saw the holstered handgun and still choose a bad course of action.
    This happened right up the road from my house.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by siva.williams View Post
    Perhaps not. I'm of the general opinion that an exposed weapon is only likely to antagonize an unstable person with criminal intent. The entire situation likely could have been avoided if he just went to his car and offered a statement after police arrived. If I had to guess, he will probably avoid criminal charges but I would be very surprised if a family member doesn't pursue civil action. Regardless, I think its a good example of what not to do.

Site Supporter
    Another Walmart shooting

Officer shoots hatchet-wielding woman in Wisconsin Wal-Mart

LAKE HALLIE, Wis. – Authorities say a police officer fatally shot a developmentally disabled woman inside a western Wisconsin Wal-Mart after she wouldn't drop a hatchet she grabbed from a shelf.

Chippewa County Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk says the woman was shopping with chaperones Friday at the store in Lake Hallie, between Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. He says police were called around 5 p.m. after she grabbed a hatchet from a sporting goods department shelf and began swinging it.

The sheriff says a Lake Hallie police officer shot her after she wouldn't drop the hatchet and lunged at the officer. She was taken to an Eau Claire hospital with wounds to her abdomen and thigh.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/09...?intcmp=hplnws

Perhaps not. I'm of the general opinion that an exposed weapon is only likely to antagonize an unstable person with criminal intent. The entire situation likely could have been avoided if he just went to his car and offered a statement after police arrived. If I had to guess, he will probably avoid criminal charges but I would be very surprised if a family member doesn't pursue civil action. Regardless, I think its a good example of what not to do.
    Granted there were some less-than-ideal decisions made, but I don't think I'd fault the guy for initially confronting the deceased in an effort to get him to leave.

I know such intervention is generally advised against, but I think that's one contributing factor to some of today's societal issues.

I apologize for the possible thread drift/derailment, and if this is better suited to its own thread I'll string one together.

These days we're all about keeping our own butts out of trouble it sometimes leaves others flapping in the wind, so to speak. Granted there was likely no immediate physical threat to the cashier, in spite of the chips lobbed at him. But my opinion is that there comes a point someone has to stand up and let it be known that that kind of behavior isn't tolerated. Yeah, we typically hand it off to the police to handle, after all it's more their job. But what happened to the rest of us helping maintain a societal standard?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." To many, calling 911 is doing something, but my opinion is that it's a cop out, no pun intended. I'm not suggesting interjecting ourselves into every petty altercation, but at some point there's a necessity for a self-policing society (again, my opinion).

At the risk of potentially insulting some of those far braver than I and who have done far more to help society than I'm likely to accomplish, it's as if our backbones have disappeared because of a fear of a lawsuit or potentially escalating the situation. What ever happened to sticking up for the "little guy"?

/rant off
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 04-12-2016 at 02:06 AM.

Technically a shooting incident... Why doesn't my laser work?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=da7_1460570818

User Tag List