Page 660 of 803 FirstFirst ... 160560610650658659660661662670710760 ... LastLast
Results 6,591 to 6,600 of 8026

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I was thinking that since he's no longer being threatened, he had no justification for engaging them. Then again, there's a good possibility that there are a lot of missing details here that could change that judgment.
    While I agree with HCM on both points, I’m afraid the Lyft driver may be unable to legally justify shooting people who were not threatening him at the moment.

In 1896 in the Old West, I can see “the law” being okay with shooting the thief and the accomplice. I’m just afraid it may not go over well in modern-day Philly.

As many of us observed during the summer 2020 riots and Kenosha shooting, when government is unable or unwilling to maintain order, people will step in to fill the vacuum. The problem is that the government tends to resent those who fill that gap.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    While I agree with HCM on both points, I’m afraid the Lyft driver may be unable to legally justify shooting people who were not threatening him at the moment.

In 1896 in the Old West, I can see “the law” being okay with shooting the thief and the accomplice. I’m just afraid it may not go over well in modern-day Philly.

As many of us observed during the summer 2020 riots and Kenosha shooting, when government is unable or unwilling to maintain order, people will step in to fill the vacuum. The problem is that the government tends to resent those who fill that gap.
    Mostly because they vote for the other party.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I was thinking that since he's no longer being threatened, he had no justification for engaging them. Then again, there's a good possibility that there are a lot of missing details here that could change that judgment.
    Not a lawyer.... Just armchair QB.... Emphasis mine.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...5.005.000..HTM

(2) The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat; nor is it justifiable if:
    (i) the actor, with the intent of causing death or serious bodily injury, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or
    (ii) the actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating, except the actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling or place of work, unless he was the initial aggressor or is assailed in his place of work by another person whose place of work the actor knows it to be.
    (2.1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2.2), an actor is presumed to have a reasonable belief that deadly force is immediately necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat if both of the following conditions exist:
    (i) The person against whom the force is used is in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or has unlawfully and forcefully entered and is present within, a dwelling, residence or occupied vehicle; or the person against whom the force is used is or is attempting to unlawfully and forcefully remove another against that other's will from the dwelling, residence or occupied vehicle.
    (ii) The actor knows or has reason to believe that the unlawful and forceful entry or act is occurring or has occurred.
    My amateur read is that the there was no problem with shooting the guy in the stolen car... but that GG fails the "and is present within" requirement for the getaway driver... but... he could argue that the getaway guy had a rifle and remained an imminent threat and the GG had no duty to retreat since retreating would have allowed the getaway driver time to shoot GG after he saw GG shoot hijacker.

But... Just a guess.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Maybe the getaway driver looked like he was reaching for a gun, maybe he was driving towards the defender. There could be a variety reasons the Lyft driver could articulate the need to use deadly force against the driver.

Could the fact that he is a Lyft driver trigger the following?

…except the actor is not obliged to retreat from his… place of work…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I happened upon this video, which judging by the accents, hairstyles and daylight carjackings, is apparently from a foreign country.
    Good ole' Philly. I've lost most of my accent, but I still have the accent on the "o", which sound like "oe". Ex: Phone, instead of sounding like "ff-own", it sounds like, "ffoewn".

Philly certainly has it's own ghetto-fab fashion style as well, that's for certain.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Durham PD: Suspect caught ‘violently assaulting’ gas station clerk shot dead.

Durham police officers fatally shot a person who they said was violently assaulting a gas station clerk on Wednesday morning, according to Durham Police Chief Patrice Andrews.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...d-by-officers/

Husband of Illinois Democrat Senator Car Drives Jackers Off with Glock 27

The four-page report from Broadview police provides additional details about the Dec. 21 carjacking of Lightford, the second-highest-ranking state senator, and her husband, Eric McKennie, in the western suburb. No one was hurt in the exchange of gunfire, and three suspects remain at large.

Broadview police responded to “multiple calls for shots fired” about 9:45 p.m. Dec. 21, and officers headed to the carjacking site in the 2000 block of South 20th Avenue, according to the report, obtained by the Tribune through an open-records request. Dispatchers alerted officers that 10 to 15 shots were reported, and Lightford “was involved in the incident,” the report states.

Officers arrived at the scene and took possession of McKennie’s Glock 27 .40-caliber pistol while they “figured out what transpired,” the report states. It also says McKennie showed the officers his valid firearm owner’s identification card and concealed carry license.

I lived quite close to there - my grandparent’s house was south a bit, and I drove the main drags daily. It’s been getting rougher and rougher.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    https://floridapolitics.com/archives...Fj2s_aKzWM9iDQ

John Kuczwanski killed in Tallahassee road rage incident

Kuczwanski was arrested for a separate road rage incident at the same intersection in 2014.

John Kuczwanski, the Legislative Affairs Director for the State Board of Administration, was killed in a shootout triggered by a road rage incident in north Tallahassee.

The Leon County Sheriff’s Office took one person into custody after the Jan. 6 incident, however that person has since been released and no charges have been filed, according to a LCSO news release.

The office issued an initial statement reporting a fatal shooting that occurred last Thursday, shortly after 5 p.m., near the intersection of Bannerman Road and Thomasville Road, following an altercation between two drivers. Thursday’s release confirmed Kuczwanski was killed in the incident.

The investigation into what occurred is still ongoing.

There are conflicting reports about what happened, though it appears events escalated to fatal violence following a traffic incident.

Sources familiar with details of the investigation told Florida Politics that Kuczwanski caused the auto accident that began the chain of events, and that he began the shootout that led to his own death.

The sources said the incident began after Kuczwanski’s BMW drifted out of its lane while heading north on Thomasville Road. That’s when the BMW hit a white Prius.

Both cars pulled into a parking lot. The driver of the Prius confronted Kuczwanski about hitting him, the sources said. The Prius’ driver then returned to his car to wait for law enforcement’s arrival after confronting Kuczwanski. That is when, according to Florida Politics’ sources, Kuczwanski rammed his BMW into the Prius on the driver’s door, and began pushing the car sideways in the parking lot.

Kuczwanski then shot a gun at the white Prius, according to the sources. The Prius driver drew a gun and fired back into the windshield of Kuczwanski’s BMW. Kuczwanski was hit and killed, according to the sources.

The driver of the Prius then exited their vehicle on the passenger side and took cover not knowing if Kuczwanski was about to fire back.

Advertisement
    However, Kuczwanski’s wife, Rebekah Kuczwanski, said in a Twitter thread that her husband was a victim while confirming he lost his life. She claimed that he was trapped and “assassinated” and was trying to escape the person shooting at him.

Those comments were made on a thread, posted by Florida Politics publisher Peter Schorsch, announcing Kuczwanski’s death.

“He was on his way home early to pick us up for a farewell dinner for our daughter,” she wrote. “He called to say he was on his way to beat traffic. He was excited for dinner and to see us. He told us he loved us then never came home.”

She added that his family deserves time to heal and privacy.

“Our whole lives are shattered. The children and I, his friends and family, so many who adored this wonderful, kind, loving man who would do anything for anyone. We are all devastated. The whole world lost a great man!” she wrote.

The incident took place less than two miles away from Kuczwanski’s home. He leaves behind his wife, and two children.

Dennis MacKee, speaking on behalf of the State Board of Administration, said he could not confirm that Kuczwanski was the person killed in the road rage incident, but confirmed that he died Thursday, according to the Tallahassee Democrat.

“He was a quiet fellow,” MacKee said. “Everything in his world was about his family.”

Previously, Kuczwanski pleaded no contest to assault and disorderly conduct charges in 2014 related to a separate road rage incident at the same intersection, as first reported by Tallahassee Reports.

According to the probable cause affidavit for that case, deputies were dispatched after a driver called to report that another driver had “pointed a small, black in color handgun with a mounted laser at him while stopped next to him at the intersection of Thomasville Road and Bannerman Road.”

Law enforcement found Kuczwanski still inside the vehicle matching the description from the caller when they responded to that 2014 incident. A deputy verified that Kuczwanski had a weapon matching the caller’s description and arrested him on the scene. He was later sentenced to probation, which was completed in 2018.

Kuczwanski, 52, graduated from Florida State University in 1992 with a degree in political science. His career in Tallahassee included working as former Sen. Debby Sanderson’s chief of staff, communications director of the Department of Management Services, and more than 11 years with the State Board of Administration.

The final tweet on his Twitter account, an announcement that he had entered an online raffle for a firearm worth $5,000, was posted on Dec. 9, 2021.

User Tag List