Page 679 of 803 FirstFirst ... 179579629669677678679680681689729779 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,790 of 8026

Thread: Shooting incidents in the news.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Damn, sorry for this loss. Is there a proscription for carrying in church there? That's an old debate. I have friends in TX that I moved from carrying a Taurus 85 to a Glock in church. However, getting them to train was a failed enterprise. Getting their church defense team (or so it was called) trained was also futile. They did have some LEOs and retired ones though.
    I was wondering why he was apparently unarmed. I didn’t know him well, and don’t remember him commenting on his carry status. Depending on the location of his home, he could be living in a county where it is impossible to get a permit (LA) or feasible in recent years given enough persistence and patience (Orange). I would have expected the latter, so I’m a little surprised he wasn’t carrying. He apparently trained a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This is the third or fourth “random” shooting on this stretch of highway in the last couple of years and I don’t remember seeing news of anyone being arrested for any of them. It’s about 15 minutes from where I live, but a route I rarely take.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...irmingham.html
    A few years back I was inside the UAB E.R. working a shooting when EMS rolled another GSW victim in. This poor guy was driving up I-65 around 6th Ave N. when a bullet struck him through the door of his car. Fortunately it struck his leg and didn't hit anything major. This was around 11 AM...
    Murderham, the Tragic City.

Geez, my home town; although I emigrated to Florence and I only get back for matches at Brock's Gap.

Nostalgia Alert: I remember catching a bus to town to meet my Mother after work "under the clock."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    A few years back I was inside the UAB E.R. working a shooting when EMS rolled another GSW victim in. This poor guy was driving up I-65 around 6th Ave N. when a bullet struck him through the door of his car. Fortunately it struck his leg and didn't hit anything major. This was around 11 AM...
    Murderham, the Tragic City.
    They get enough GSWs at UAB that a couple of years ago I met an SF medic at my local archery range who was on a training rotation at the ER there to get experience before his next deployment. Tragic City indeed.

And, I don’t know if you’ve been downtown recently on a weekend night, but the large bands of street racers is a relatively new phenomenon that has kind of exploded since covid and adds a madmax feel to the area.

Site Supporter
    This is the third or fourth “random” shooting on this stretch of highway in the last couple of years and I don’t remember seeing news of anyone being arrested for any of them. It’s about 15 minutes from where I live, but a route I rarely take.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...irmingham.html
    Damn. Reading that story..... tribute really.... was heartbreaking. We are certainly diminished.
    I hope they catch whoever did that and put them under the prison.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

They get enough GSWs at UAB that a couple of years ago I met an SF medic at my local archery range who was on a training rotation at the ER there to get experience before his next deployment. Tragic City indeed.

And, I don’t know if you’ve been downtown recently on a weekend night, but the large bands of street racers is a relatively new phenomenon that has kind of exploded since covid and adds a madmax feel to the area.
    Just imagine what the murder rate would be absent UAB. If you've got a pulse going in...you or some portion of you will probably live.

I retired last month and would only set foot inside Birmingham if...well, I can't think of a single reason.

If I never have to speak ebonics to a ghetto goblin again I'll be well pleased.

I...might be working through some anger issues.

Site Supporter
    I don't know how valid this news source is, but they say in his manifesto the Buffalo shooter says he picked that location because of the stringent gun laws, reasoning there was less chance of being engaged by an armed citizen.

Buffalo shooter chose his location based on one frightening fact that has nothing to do with race
    Last edited by Bigguy; 05-18-2022 at 03:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    It's been quoted, so probably true. Erie County is not a hard place to get a carry permit if you are a reasonable person. It is something of complicated process but can be done. However, the number of permits is probably a lower percentage that in shall issue states. Also, since the process is a hassle the number of African-Americans who have permits may be lower. I do note that I have seen quite a few African-Americans buying handguns in the LGS and Cabelas.

So it's probably correct that the odds of coming across a CCW type is lower than in a TX city. He also mentioned that he thought the 10 round limit made opponents less of a problem

Hochul is proposing toughening up mandated Red Flag reporting. The state troopers didn't take action as the mental health professional didn't see him as a threat. Shooter said he told the mental health professional it was a joke and the person bought it. So that person is in a world of shit and I'd bet others in the field are rethinking. Either the person had no skills or didn't want to ruin a young life or didn't want bounce back for taking action. Thus, troopers and mental health folks are going to held to the fire. Cue the lawyers on this one. I have to agree that some mental health folks need a kick in the ass about threat assessment.

She also is taking action against AOWs - meaning AR-ish "pistols" not being a gun. Saw something about microstamping. If it comes out in print, I'll read it. Some talk of media control and reporting.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It's been quoted, so probably true. Erie County is not a hard place to get a carry permit if you are a reasonable person. It is something of complicated process but can be done. However, the number of permits is probably a lower percentage that in shall issue states. Also, since the process is a hassle the number of African-Americans who have permits may be lower. I do note that I have seen quite a few African-Americans buying handguns in the LGS and Cabelas.

So it's probably correct that the odds of coming across a CCW type is lower than in a TX city. He also mentioned that he thought the 10 round limit made opponents less of a problem

Hochul is proposing toughening up mandated Red Flag reporting. The state troopers didn't take action as the mental health professional didn't see him as a threat. Shooter said he told the mental health professional it was a joke and the person bought it. So that person is in a world of shit and I'd bet others in the field are rethinking. Either the person had no skills or didn't want to ruin a young life or didn't want bounce back for taking action. Thus, troopers and mental health folks are going to held to the fire. Cue the lawyers on this one. I have to agree that some mental health folks need a kick in the ass about threat assessment.

She also is taking action against AOWs - meaning AR-ish "pistols" not being a gun. Saw something about microstamping. If it comes out in print, I'll read it. Some talk of media control and reporting.
    Not knowing NY State Police Policy, or the intricacies of NY State Red Flag laws, it's certainly possible that some trooper might fave some scrutiny and possible discipline. It is almost guaranteed however that the mental health professionals involved will face no consequences other than some uncomfortable questioning during depositions for a civil claim. Perhaps their employers insurance might pay out....the shot callers never will.

Site Supporter
    Their annual review of professional activities might not lead to merit raise.

User Tag List