Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on external safety

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I’ve always wondered why Glock, with their huge foothold on the domestic LE market, doesn’t offer a manual safety (a la M&P or 1911 type) as an option. I’m sure it’d be necessary to revise the training required to operate it, but at least it’d be out there, available.
    It almost seems like they go out of their way NOT to offer a manual safety. Especially when you consider they REMOVED it to create the 19X.

I gotta go with #3. It has been a lifetime ago since I had to fight a junkie for my 1911. During the struggle all I can remember thinking is "I gotta keep the safety on". I pushed so hard with my thumb that I tore/cut a 1.5 inch gash across the pad. It ended when I was able to break contact and draw. I never fired a shot. I do believe that being able to hold the safety on kept the gun from going off that day.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I gotta go with #3. It has been a lifetime ago since I had to fight a junkie for my 1911. During the struggle all I can remember thinking is "I gotta keep the safety on". I pushed so hard with my thumb that I tore/cut a 1.5 inch gash across the pad. It ended when I was able to break contact and draw. I never fired a shot. I do believe that being able to hold the safety on kept the gun from going off that day.
    My 1911 was out of the holster and in the hands of my attacker. I didn't know I'd lost the gun in the fight. The safety was a clear game changer for me. I remember thinking, while grappling over the pistol that "this gun is going to get shot and I don't care what it hits as long as it isn't me".
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Excellent, thought provoking post. I'm neither expert or highly experienced, only been back into firearms for a couple of years, and only refocused on handguns in the last year. Started with a striker fired pistol, but have since switched over to guns with hammers. Currently have a 1911 as well as DA/SA's, some with safety, some decocker. Was going back and forth between the different platforms during my last range trip, when I noticed I was developing a hesitation betwee drawing and firing. Turns out the switch between platforms had me asking myself, what's different, and that was causing the hesitation. Yes, I know training could possibly alleviate that particular problem, but I'm just a casual shooter, not an armed professional or competitive shooter, with limited resources. So I've decided that a consistent manual of arms is a better answer for me, and that DA/SA with decocker is the best choice, especially as my preferred carry method is AIWB. May not actually be safer than a cocked and locked 1911, but it feels like it is. Just a "beginners" perspective on the subject.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I have twice seen officers' lives saved when an engaged manual safety prevented a pistol lost from their control from firing...
    The NJ State Police in years past carried HK P7s. I believe there were a few instances where the squeeze cocker saved a trooper who lost control of his P7. The unfamiliarity and uniqueness of the squeeze cocking mechanism defeated the 'individual' who gained control of the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    My 1911 was out of the holster and in the hands of my attacker. I didn't know I'd lost the gun in the fight. The safety was a clear game changer for me. I remember thinking, while grappling over the pistol that "this gun is going to get shot and I don't care what it hits as long as it isn't me".

Wow! I learned that things can and will happen faster than an instant. My long story short, I was being robbed at knife point, the knife was less than a foot from my face. Because he had the drop I felt it was better to just give him my cash and be done with it. I did have my pistol in a bastardized holster carried in the cross draw about the 11:00 position covered with a flannel shirt and light jacket. I though everything was ok until he demanded my dinner which I was carrying in my left hand. I hypothesize that when I held the bag up for him to take I exposed my pistol. I happened so fast the only parts that I remember clearly is having my left hand on the gun pulling the safety with my thumb and trying to push the gun back into the holster, all of which is happening while rolling around on the sidewalk. I'm not even sure how I got free, on my feet and gun drawn but the bad guy decide he had other things to do. He got my cash but I still have his knife and the scar. To this day I still don't understand why he dropped his knife to go for my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Am mindful of anecdotes about manual and magazine safety saves. Still, they are outliers
    I don't disagree at all, but it's interesting that three people (four, if Doc counts for two) have spoken up saying that a safety saved a life to their witness. I wonder if we can get four people to say a fast reload saved their lives? But I'd have a heck of a time convincing myself to use a gun with a heel magazine catch (even though it's much less likely to accidentally induce a type 1 malfunction).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    However, some may carry that 1911 with a round in the chamber with the hammer lowered to the rest position. That negates the use of a thumb safety.
    I can't think of a single good reason to carry a 1911 that way, but even if someone does it that way it still does not negate the need for the safety. What about when coming back off the target? Should the safety not be engaged at that point? Of course it should.

I was shooting my M2.0 45 today, the one with the manual safety. I'll admit that I "forgot" about the safety on one draw, which led to a quick snatch at it and a string of hurried shots, but, still, nothing that stopped me from shooting a 300/300. I will say that this and my token 1911 are the only safety equipped pistols in my safe, and this is only my second outing with it, but I always, instinctively, engaged the safety whenever my pistol came off my eye line, including going on safe while taking a knee between 3-shot strings in a 6-shot engagement.

I wish the safety was more 1911ish in placement and "feel," but, if I opt for another 2.0 in another caliber at a later date, it will have a MS...

Hammertime
    Are there any stories about officers who got a nothing when they expected a bang and suffered the consequences due to failure to release the safety under stress?

They have to be out there. The question is, do they outnumber the officers not shot by their own weapons due to a safety.

User Tag List