Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Dark Pharm" Letters?

If you got the letter in the mail, it gets reported to the Postal Inspectors.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

I wouldn't waste my time reporting that crap, you have pictures, archive them somewhere, and chuck that crap in the trash where it belongs.

Part two of this is that you and you coworkers need to get together and crawl up someone ass(es) at work for not securing your information, and work needs to pay for credit monitoring for a reasonable time frame, at least the next 24 months.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    SNIP....

and work needs to pay for credit monitoring for a reasonable time frame, at least the next 24 months.
    Unfortunately the information is going to be out there forever. I have been the victim of several data breeches (1 Tricare, 1 Veterans Administration and 1 OPM breach). Using the information from the OPM breach and some phone spoofing services someone was able to social engineer a major bank for 15K+ from my account.

If you have had a security clearance since 1980 (I think) your data was compromised.

The credit monitoring services are good, but limited. The breach from OPM was in 2015.

If you are concerned about your information make sure you enable two step authentication for your bank and other major accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Google has my current address, place of employment, and my facebook profile picture. I don't use my real name on facebook

Scary stuff.
    I'm going to danger that your real ID is connected to Facebook through whatever email or phone number you registered with. The "name" is just an online handle no different than a forum, and has very little to do with actually connecting the dots.

Beyond that, if you have any sort of cloud connection through Windows, Apple, Google, or whatever, that service is syncing and sharing your details through any connections as well.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-16-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I think it was Dave Chappele who said "is there anyone sitting around asking 'how I am I gonna sell all this crack?'"

Scary data breech. Looks like the scammer is trying to look credible via sheer wall of text and lots of details. That's quite a variety of chemicals on the sell list.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    I think, as you note, it's probably a scam, it just sketches me out that this person had my exact name and address.
    You've basically received the snail mail equivalent of a phishing attack. I've never actually seen this over snail mail, so that's interesting, but the scheme is a really common one.

You see personal information in phishing attacks all the time: name, address, phone number, account name, online handles, sometimes even passwords from previous data breaches where your password wasn't being stored securely. It's estimated there's between 2500 and 4000 data brokers (e.g., entities that buy/sell your personal information) in the US alone, so there's zero surprise in the fact someone has your name and address. It's unlikely they're targeting you specifically: what you got is probably just a form letter they auto-filled, printed, and then mailed out in-bulk to everyone in the data set they had on hand.

Unless a person has taken specific (and extensive) precautions against their personal info being leaked, the Internet knows everything about them. You just have to know how/where to look to find it.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List