Thread: RFI: Springfield XD-E

RFI: Springfield XD-E

I have found I am needing a pocket gun to carry while I bang around the house and garage. Whatever I end up with, I would prefer to be safe enough to drop in a coat pocket/hoodie pocket sans holster. I know, get a J frame and be done but I don't want to add another caliber to the supply train. So my first thought is grab a SP101 in 9mm but to expand my knowledge I searched the forum for pocket 9 ideas and came across this thread, https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ld-XD-E/page43. There is some information in there but it also has a lot of derp, hysteria and haikus. Those of you that tried the XD-E what are your thoughts on it?

I have a list of candidates if anyone cares to comment. I will be out tomorrow trying to get my hands on some of these.

All in 9mm
    Ruger SP101- This has been my first pick since I have started looking. Its all steel so it will help with the recoil. I do have arthritis starting in my knuckles. I have owned and shot one in .38, sold it in a time of need.

Ruger LCR/X - I know nothing about this other than its a revolver.

Springfield XD-E- comes with 3 mags and Springfield has an offer to get 3 free with a range bag.

S&W Shield 2.0 with safety- Rented a shield 1.0, liked it, didn't have a need for it at the time. It is striker fired and my need a holster to pocket carry. if I end up going with a semiauto that needs to be in a holster I will be taking a hard look at the Sig P365 over the G43.

I know there are a few others but these are the ones that I think fit my needs and what I am willing to pay.

Plenty of pocket holsters out there. "banging around" is how I'd imagine something working its way into the trigger guard.

Site Supporter
    I think you will find the XDE big for pocket carry. I haven't shot one , but I've handled one. While I am not opposed to a safety/decocker combo like some, I thought the XDE's was an ok size for a decocker, but too small for a safety.

I feel the same way abou the Shield safety. Why SW didn't make it more usable bill never know.

Why don't you want to use a pocket holster?

RFI: Springfield XD-E

I’d use a Kahr PM9 with a pocket holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 10-15-2018 at 05:02 PM.

I shot one several weeks ago. Compared to the DA on an HK v3, it was good, with little stacking and no grit. I was stacking rounds at 7 yds slowfire, and giving the swinging bowling pins a workout at 10yds. It shot fine, and ejected strongly. IMO, it is too flat, and too big for what it is. This from a guy who carries a USP9c. The smallest mag fed subcompact I will carry is a P2000sk v1. Other than that, it's a J-frame.
    Taking a break from social media.

I apologize for not being more concise in the op. This will not replace my primary ccw. It is to have something on the days that I am unwilling to put on more clothes than necessary and need to be outside preforming low impact low energy tasks like walking to the mail box where I will inadvertently meet my uncle, who will have his j frame in a fanny pack. He will talk for no less than an hour. I do things like feed the koi and squirrels then sit on the porch with a cup of coffee. This is where I would like to have something in the pocket of my bathrobe. If I intend to be outside and dress for the occasion, part of that is my ccw. I find that if I am in my lounging cloths I am much less apt to grab a big pistol to do these things. I have grabbed my wife's g26 but its not always available. I intend to have a holster for what ever I get should I ever have to press it into ccw duty. So I don't need the ultra compact version, just something small enough that if I stick it in the pocket of my sweat pants I don't draw an indecent exposure charge. My Colt or Beretta does a pretty good job at that. I will say that my biggest threat is probably unfamiliar dogs. I have had a couple show aggression when I run them off and a few times I didn't even have a sharp stick on me.

I do want to say when I had the sp101 before, I did have a pocket holster. I don't remember the brand but it was black leather and did nothing to block the hammer or cover the trigger. This was before kydex was a thing and I remember most of guys were carrying their j frame or equivalent in a pocket without a holster.

Instead of sticking something into your sweatpants pocket sans holster, how about a DSG, JMCK or Tenicor holster with the metal clips with teeth to stick down the front of your sweatpants?

Or switching out the metal clips with a Utili Clip?

OP -

I had a very similar requirement and ended up with a Ruger LCR in .357 loaded with semi-wadcutters. I picked the .357 due to the steel frame being heavier, but if I did it over, I'd get the .38 as the WCs have very mild recoil.

There is a fairly lengthy thread on the LCR, with hardly any Haikus, here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=Ruger

I pocket carry it walking the dog, getting the mail, going to the gym, etc. I use a DSG clip on gym clothes on, or a Desantis Nemesis in cargo shorts or dress pants. Both of these holsters work very well.

Sweat pants and the like don’t hold up very easily, so something heavy is going to pull down on them. Whatever you get, you’re going to want it to be light. Power to weight is what the J really has going for it.

As for 9mm, the P938 is small, reasonably light, and has a usable thumb safety.

Whatever you get, regardless of type, you need to carry it in a pocket holster. The pocket holster adds no real bulk, it stabilizes the weapon, helps keep gunk out of the action, and is much safer.

I agree w some other comments, the XD-E seems too large for pocket carry.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List