View Poll Results: What's the best option?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the M&P40f and get a 9mm conversion barrel.

4 16.00%
  • M&P9f

0 0%
  • M&P9 2.0

15 60.00%
  • M&P9 Pro 5" (enabler choice)

4 16.00%
  • Pass altogether, buy ammo, suck less.

2 8.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P Conversion Barrel Conundrum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I've looked at the Apex barrel. I don't doubt it's great but at a price. I was mostly looking at going cheap with a Storm Lake or Factory 9mm barrel. Buy once, cry once theory would put the Apex at the top though. Did you get the drop in or the gunsmith fit barrel?
    I wound up doing the gunsmith fit. Having fit a few 1911 barrels I found it was profoundly easier than those.

I personally find my M&P to be my favorite range toy. So much so that I'm contemplating a swap from Glock.

That said, in light of Psalms post, If I were you, I'd probably go 2.0 if I were buying a new gun and didn't have any sort of attachment with that current duty pistol.

And then you don't have to worry about accuracy problems

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'd go with that 9Pro then fit an APEX barrel to it. I personally prefer the 1.0 M&Ps with the exception of their accuracy in 9mm.

Logistically doesn't make sense to me to buy your old weapon and have to invest in a barrel when the 2.0 are dirt cheap right now. I might even wonder over to grab a gun now and gank one thanks to this thread.

Looking at the cost to purchase your duty pistol, a conversion barrel and possibly the cost of fitting by a gunsmith, I would purchase a new M&P 2.0. Check prices and rebates available. About 2 months ago I bought from Grabagun a M&P 2.0 45 full-size. Listed price was $399.00 and after the $50.00 the price dropped to $349.00. Of course shipping and FFL fee applies no matter what firearm one buys.

I have a full-size M&P 45 1.0 and have compared the two. The 2.0 does have a much improved trigger, not a gunsmith fit trigger pull, but a very noticeable improvement. I have shot 510 rounds of various ammo brands, and it's been 100%. The more aggressive grip texture took a little getting use to, but I like the change. I love the grip angle and this pistol is a joy to shoot.

I voted to purchase a M&P 2.0. Just my .02 cents.

I got a used M&P9 2.0 for $250 before shipping and transfer from Gunbroker. And a 2.0 .40 for $240. I saw two first gen .40's with a starting bid of $215 and they didn't sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I am at present scoping out M&P tuning and if I can get Dan Burwell's attention and can find a 9 Pro or 9L 1.0 to send him, I will be a happy camper.
    Plan B is to hold my nose and get the latest brown 5" 2.0 without safety and "tactile chamber indicator" and see if Robert Burke can make an Apex kit work... I am not impressed by DIY baggie jobs.

Caliber conversion barrels hold no interest for me, I do not understand buying big and shooting small.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I have a drop in Apex conversion barrel for my 2015 production M&P 1.0.

It’s about 98% reliable. I do get at least 1 stovepipe per range session, so at this point it’s a range only gun.

The barrel will not fit in an older police trade in M&P 40 I bought a few months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I would not buy more M&P's than I had to. I have a bunch and they are basically worthless because you can buy a new one from S&W so cheaply. Selling my used M&P 40's for less than $200 is hardly worth the hassle, especially considering the night sights all mine wear. Unfortunately I have 6 gen 1 M&P 40's (compact, C.O.R.E., 2x 5" pro, 4.25 pro, regular 4.25). No one wants them for more than $200, even with an original and conversion barrel and mags in both calibers. I have 1 M&P 2.0 9mm and would sell all but that one were I not moving to Alaska where the .40 actually makes some sense again. I don't know if it's like this for glocks too, but even after putting night sights on and a offerig a conversion barrel + stock barrel on an M&P 40 with 2 mags in each caliber, I still can't sell for $250 in the current market. That's about 1/3rd what I paid for the hardware new.
    Last edited by LSW; 10-23-2018 at 06:24 PM.

UPDATE:
    So after much consideration I still couldn't make a decision. I took a trip to Bud's Gun Shop and found M&P9 Compact M2.0s for $369, which seemed like an good deal so I jumped on one. The full size and compact M2.0s are so close in size it makes little difference to me personally.

Then...I kept thinking about that 5” Pro Series...and bought it too. It's a great shooter, no accuracy issues, and the trigger is perfect. I've taken my full size, compact, and 5" during the last 3 range sessions and shot each if them side by side. It's interesting to see how they compare on a timer and based on "feel." I've definitely come to prefer the compact. I'm shooting it quicker and I attribute that to the shorter slide being easier to track shot to shot. Accuracy in my hands shows little difference between the 4" and 5" barrels. I've gone through this before with Glock 34s and 35s, I love the balance and look of the 5" guns but every time I put work into shooting one I see little advantage over the compact and full size versions. The 5" Pro Series is now on the chopping block.

Next stop... M&P9 Compact M2.0 "Roland Special"... just because.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I took a trip to Bud's Gun Shop and found M&P9 Compact M2.0s for $369, which seemed like an good deal so I jumped on one.
    Sure sounds better than $290 for one you really didn't want. Just crazy what is out there right now. I have a friend that is getting (back) into shooting and I advised him to get the same thing. I have also warned him not to make current costs his frame of reference, that things have not always been this way, nor are they guaranteed to remain this way.

User Tag List