View Poll Results: What's the best option?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the M&P40f and get a 9mm conversion barrel.

4 16.00%
  • M&P9f

0 0%
  • M&P9 2.0

15 60.00%
  • M&P9 Pro 5" (enabler choice)

4 16.00%
  • Pass altogether, buy ammo, suck less.

2 8.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P Conversion Barrel Conundrum

M&P Conversion Barrel Conundrum

My department is switching out our M&P40s for M&P9 2.0s in the very near future. We're being given the opportunity to purchase our 40s for about $290 including transfer, etc. This will finally be my last .40. I'm happy to rid myself of the caliber and consolidate to 9mm. I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna buy this M&P40 and put a 9mm conversion barrel in it or just pass on it. I'm not really attached to it, it's not my first duty gun, and I've only carried it a about a year.
    Based on my figures, I'm looking at about $390-$430 if I buy the duty gun and depending if use a factory 9mm barrel or aftermarket drop-in. I've got plenty of 9mm mags already. I can buy a new M&P9f for about $400 locally, or a new M&P9 2.0 full or compact (already have one) for about $450...or a used M&P9 Pro 5" for $500 I've had my eye on for months locally.

I've mulled this over for weeks and can't decide. I'm just looking for feed back on M&P 9mm to 40 conversions and advice on what the smartest move is. I'm totally aware of the past 9mm accuracy issues in the platform, that's probably why I'm hesitant of the Pro 5" gun. I'm good on off-duty guns as I have a Shield and 2.0 Compact so this would just be a fun-range-IDPA-nightstand gun.

Site Supporter
    The Apex conversion barrel has worked well for me.

It had also made my 40-9 convert more accurate than both my 9mm 1911s and about on par with my .45s

I've printed legitimate 1.5 inch groups at 20 yards with it, and that's probably the absolute limit of my accuracy with a pistol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'd just buy a 2.0 if your not attached to it. If it had a dept engraving and you have a son to give it to at a later date I'd probably buy it. I've been eyeing a 5" as well.

Barring some emotional attachment, I'd pass. By the time you buy a decent conversion barrel, you're in the price range for a new 2.0, so why bother?

ETA - today's Grab-a-Gun advert has the m2.0 Compact for $379. As an LEO, you get a $50 rebate, so new at $329. Still thinking $290 is a deal on a used .40?
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 10-15-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The Apex conversion barrel has worked well for me.

It had also made my 40-9 convert more accurate than both my 9mm 1911s and about on par with my .45s

I've printed legitimate 1.5 inch groups at 20 yards with it, and that's probably the absolute limit of my accuracy with a pistol.
    I've looked at the Apex barrel. I don't doubt it's great but at a price. I was mostly looking at going cheap with a Storm Lake or Factory 9mm barrel. Buy once, cry once theory would put the Apex at the top though. Did you get the drop in or the gunsmith fit barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I'd just buy a 2.0 if your not attached to it. If it had a dept engraving and you have a son to give it to at a later date I'd probably buy it. I've been eyeing a 5" as well.
    I'm leaning towards the 2.0 but the Pro 5" caught my attention. The Pro I found local comes with a pile of mags too.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Barring some emotional attachment, I'd pass. By the time you buy a decent conversion barrel, you're in the price range for a new 2.0, so why bother?

ETA - today's Grab-a-Gun advert has the m2.0 Compact for $379. As an LEO, you get a $50 rebate, so new at $329. Still thinking $290 is a deal on a used .40?
    Wow! Thanks for the info. That puts things in perspective for sure.

I voted conversion barrel, but I'm changing that based on psalms144.1's post. If you don't feel any particular attachment to the pistol, buy a new 2.0 and don't look back.

Site Supporter
    I have a M&P Gen 1 Pro 40 I shoot exclusively with a Stormlake conversion barrel to 9. I have drank the 2.0 coolaid and now have M&P 2.0s which I find superior to the 1.0s. I would not pay for a Gen 1 and a conversion barrel. In the Atlanta area, you can get M&P 2.0 9mm Compacts or FS for $400 - sometimes $350 "used" - I say used as most of the people selling used guns here put 50+ rounds through before going to the next shiny object or car payment.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

I don't see where there is any rebate for a LEO at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the info. That puts things in perspective for sure.
    And a 1.0 9mm is only $339+$7.99 shipping BEFORE any rebate that might be available.
    ETA: If you don't have any cool history with the thing it is certainly not a deal, especially if 9mm is the end game.
    ETAAgain: If you want a 5" gun you could buy the 9mm C.O.R.E. slide kit, but they are compensated barrels. I think they are about $340.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 10-15-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I don't see where there is any rebate for a LEO at the moment?
    My bad - thank you for your service if current, former, and retired .mil only. I'm LE and a veteran, so I'm good - obviously not every LEO is...

User Tag List