Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shifting to an indoor range environment

A few things:
    • Review your training log—you might be able to move a surprising amount of work indoors. When you train outdoors, focus on outdoor-only stuff.
    • You might be surprised at the level of holster work, etc. that you can do at some ranges. The key, as others have pointed out, is convincing the range staff that you’re not a public menace and then following their directives to the letter. Let the range staff know your history and you should be good. Diplomas from reputable trainers show that you’re at least putting in the work, so be ready to show those (or at least drop the names) on command.
    • Try to find the slow times and you can generally do a lot more interesting work. Also fewer idiots, so it can be a safer time to train.
    • It’s not hard to find ways to hang an IDPA target. Range staff can help you figure it out.
    • They might have a private range available to non-knuckleheads. I shot on one for a while and it was great for low-light and movement work.
    • Finally, monitor your blood lead levels and double down on hearing protection. Indoor ranges are nasty and loud. Shooting more 22 LR can help with this.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Par times will be your friend, or you could get a Shotmaxx.

1 round into 3x5 card from ready, start at 1 second and work your way down.

10 rounds, 15 yards, 15 seconds into a B8 from ready. 90/100 or all in the black.

Sayoc 200, 10 rounds freestyle, 5 rounds each strong and support hand at 25, 150 pass, 170 bragging rights.

FBI Bullseye, 260 or above
    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=133

There are definitely people who's skill level would allow them to draw from the holster as well as shoot much faster than your typical "one round per second" indoor range cadence. But, as a guy who spent a few years managing a large gun store with a 25 lane indoor range (and still work within the company, privy to corporate range scuttlebutt), there are a couple issues with giving some individuals more slack than others. First, let's acknowledge that the only thing meant to catch projectiles at an indoor range is the backstop. Everything else, ceiling, floor, walls, target hangers, etc, will not capture a projectile, but merely deflect it. Not everyone is aware of this, and many assume the whole room is somehow a bullet trap. Ok, the issues...

One, there is an instant problem with "who is qualified, and who is not". It creates tension between range staff and customers, and almost always results in someone leaving frustrated and writing a scathing online review somewhere. Lot's of pride on the firing line anyway, as everyone believes they're an expert on gun handling and safety, yet most are horrifically unsafe to themselves and others. I'm sure we've all seen this, and if you've ever politely given someone a few safety tips or been around when they're confronted by an RSO, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Telling 'Tiny' he can't shoot well enough, or safe enough, to get the slack and leeway Super Dave enjoys, well, it goes over like a fart in church.

The other, and bigger issue than hurt feelings, is when random people on the range hear others shooting faster, they just naturally assume it's ok and start doing the same, regardless of skill. Everyone likes to see how fast they can pull the trigger, and the fact that it takes skill and experience never cross their minds. Next thing you know, target hangers are busted, hanger lines are down, and someone inevitably comes out with a ricochet injury from 'that other guy' and his errant shots at speed.

If I had a dime for every time I saw that whole thing play out, I'd likely own my own range.

That said, here are my suggestions...

1) First talk to the owner/manager. Leverage your relationship, and see if coming in during the week at lunchtime has any benefits to what you can get away with. Our stores (nine locations) have a separate pistol and rifle range, and we can often get away with putting regulars in one or the other during off-peak hours to allow them some extra freedoms. This is byproduct of trust, as mentioned by @GuanoLoco above.

2) Compile a list of as many drills that can be done within the indoor range rule set. Anything outside of that, such as holster work if not allowed, can be ramped up in dry fire.
    Last edited by StraitR; 10-15-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    If I had a dime for every time I saw that whole thing play out, I'd likely own my own range.
    Same here. And it would not be open to the public. Not no way, not no how.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I am setting up an indoor match most every week on a 25 yard pistol range.

People are tards. Dngerous tards.

Always choose the right-most lane available - lots more inappropriate bullet holes to the right when compared to the left.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Most of my practice over the past 15 years has been on indoor ranges. My biggest complaint about shooting indoors is the lighting - even the best indoor ranges can challenge the eyes. When I get to shoot outside I marvel at how crisp the sights seem by comparison.

While I miss the freedom that an outdoor range affords, but you can still get a great deal done on an indoor range. Some thoughts...

1) What are the range rules? Every indoor range in my vicinity permits holster work and rapid fire. I think there's a lot of assumption about what is permissible indoors. Some of the indoor ranges here run monthly IDPA and USPSA matches. Another used to allow experienced shooters to come in early and work on drills forward of the bays. As others recommended, build relationships and see what is possible.

2) Timer utility will depend on how crowded the range is. I always have a timer with me but I can't always use it. I tried using the ShotMaxx in the past, and the accelerometer feature worked as advertised...my only complaint was the poor battery life. It's an option though.

3) You can get a lot done with blading targets and a B8 bullseye. The Test, Super Test, Advanced Super Test, Half Test, Vickers 300, FBI Bullseye...

4) I use these target facers from Warren Tactical for IDPA/USPSA practice...they fit perfectly on the indoor range backers.

Name:  wts-1_N.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  91.3 KBName:  wts-2_L.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  89.1 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Back when I was stuck with an indoor arrangement I got friendly with all the RSO's and they quickly learned I could maintain a tight group at well past their 'rate of fire' limitations.

After a while they would send me over to another lane to help someone whose 'gun wasn't working' (aka they can't hit the broad side of a barn; please demonstrate that the gun isn't the problem) and I started getting cut a lot of slack on what they would allow me to do.
    Perspective from an RSO: The guidance we've been given is pretty close to what you're being told. Assess the shooters skill level, as long as the range isn't crowded with newbies and the shooter can keep all shots on the target, we have the discretion to allow that person to work at speed. Our range tends to be crowded early and then thin to mostly more serious shooters later, so in practice folks learn to be patient til the crowd thins. We're not able to allow holster work in this facility though, mostly a function of the layout and I must agree it wouldn't be safe the way we're set up. The other (outdoor) range that I also RSO at does allow holster work and speed work under certain circumstances since we upgraded the berms.

I’m struggling with the indoor range rules myself. The only close range to where I live now strictly prohibits holster work. I’ve talked to the manager and staff. They know my background and have watched me shoot. Doesn’t matter, no drawing from the holder. They let me shoot as fast as I want so I don’t have to worry about the 1 shot per second thing.

The latest was they no longer allow an open cartridge box/tray on the line because a bullet could bounce back and ignite the open primers.....shit you not.

This range isn’t a long term solution for me, but I am doing the best I can at the moment. It’s actually a very nice facility, just way over the top with restrictions.

I start from a compressed ready for most of my range work. That’s the closest I can get to live fire holster work now.

I need to find someplace else to go.
    Last edited by LSP552; 10-16-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I’m struggling with the indoor range rules myself. The only close range to where I live now strictly prohibits holster work. I’ve talked to the manager and staff. They know my background and have watched me shoot. Doesn’t matter, no drawing from the holder. They let me shoot as fast as I want so I don’t have to worry about the 1 shot per second thing.

The latest was they no longer allow an open cartridge box/tray on the line because a bullet could bounce back and ignite the open primers.....shit you not.

This range isn’t a long term solution for me, but I am doing the best I can at the moment. It’s actually a very nice facility, just way over the top with restrictions.

I start from a compressed ready for most of my range work. That’s the closest I can get to live fire holster work now.

I need to find someplace else to go.
    That’s really the tricky part, right? There are two decent ranges near me that I frequent. One I was able to draw from the holster from...until one day they decided that they weren’t going to allow that unless you paid $50 to take their 4 hour course on how to draw from a holster. At least they have no restrictions on rates of fire.

The other one lets me do whatever I want. Nice staff, but their prices on guns are horrible. Not California bad, but bad enough. Their range also has some rough carriers and isn’t climate controlled all that well. Hot outside? You’re stepping into an oven. Cold outside? You’re walking into a freezer. At least I can draw from concealment though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is part of the reason why I make an effort to go compete. There’s a local club that runs USPSA once a month. So I get to draw, move, shoot, reload, think critically, and try to keep my mental composure the best that I can all at the same time. All of my live fire and dryfire practice that I get goes towards doing better in competition. In practice I isolate certain things to work on. In competition I get to put it all together to see how it shakes out.

If I didn’t go to that club, there are two other clubs that run USPSA and/or IDPA within an hour’s drive that also do matches once a month. I’d go do that and learn from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List