Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shifting to an indoor range environment

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I’m struggling with the indoor range rules myself. The only close range to where I live now strictly prohibits holster work. I’ve talked to the manager and staff. They know my background and have watched me shoot. Doesn’t matter, no drawing from the holder. They let me shoot as fast as I want so I don’t have to worry about the 1 shot per second thing.

The latest was they no longer allow an open cartridge box/tray on the line because a bullet could bounce back and ignite the open primers.....shit you not.

This range isn’t a long term solution for me, but I am doing the best I can at the moment. It’s actually a very nice facility, just way over the top with restrictions.

I start from a compressed ready for most of my range work. That’s the closest I can get to live fire holster work now.

I need to find someplace else to go.
    The local range I DON'T use any more won't even allow any "man shaped" targets - bullseyes only. When I showed up to try to knock out a qual one morning right after they opened, they said it would be fine, then lost their mind when I pulled out the TRANSTAR qual target... I feel your pain - welcome to New England!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    The local range I DON'T use any more won't even allow any "man shaped" targets - bullseyes only. When I showed up to try to knock out a qual one morning right after they opened, they said it would be fine, then lost their mind when I pulled out the TRANSTAR qual target... I feel your pain - welcome to New England!
    Wut? No man shaped targets? You should get FBI qual targets and tell them they’re shaped like bowling pins. REALLY big bowling pins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s just crazy.....but it makes me sad that I’m not really surprised.

So I went in over lunch today, got my membership card and talked to the manager. Good to go on holster work and rapid fire! Using the "overflow" range by myself so my timer will work is a no-go, but I think I can still get some good work done with par times and other things. Thanks for all the feedback so far!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I was stuck at an indoor range for practice for a year and a half while I was on a long term temporary assignment. I was lucky in that there were no restrictions on rate of fire, drawing from the holster, or reloading. The majority of the drills I shot were at 25-35 yds doing bill drills (draw fire 6), 2 reload 2 drills, and draw fire 2 drills. I frequently put out partial targets and worked on drawing to them. I also did a lot of warm up and cool down on small dot type targets like Dot torture and the Garcia Dot drill. I was also allowed to take a small step left or right in the booth as I drew and reloaded. In that time, I did see a significant jump in my fundamental shooting skills. The things I couldn't practice, namely movement and transitions, I worked on heavily in dry fire. I also made GM squarely in the middle of that time, with no outdoor or multiple target practice in the entire year preceeding making GM...so while I don't think it's ideal, I think you can make the most of it and still move the needle on skill improvement.
    Last edited by Gio; 10-17-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    So I went in over lunch today, got my membership card and talked to the manager. Good to go on holster work and rapid fire! Using the "overflow" range by myself so my timer will work is a no-go, but I think I can still get some good work done with par times and other things. Thanks for all the feedback so far!
    That's good news. It all depends on the range and their relationship with you and other customers. I'm fortunate in that I have a couple real nice ranges near me -- the folks there know me and allow me to work from the holster and rapid fire isn't a problem.

The one challenge I haven't solved of course is drills that require reloads. Dropping magazines at an indoor range is a no-go -- at least for me.

As someone else mentioned, double up on quality hearing protection and make sure you get a good seal at all times. Even with that, someone shooting a non-suppressed rifle in the next lane can be a real PITA. I don't shoot my rifle at an indoor range often, but when I do I always use a suppressor.

Just turn them upside down

Went again over lunch today and did some bid'ness with them before hitting the range. Traded an extra Geissele handguard for some stuff to kit out my M&P15-22. Added some cash to the deal and added a Sig Romeo 5 red dot, Magpul CTR stock, BCM grip, and Magpul MLOK sling QD to the rifle.

Got the irons and optic zeroed, then ran a few 10yd Bill Drills with the carbine. Swapped over to the M&P22 pistol and ran 3 or 4 Bills at 7yds and ended up with some 3rds SHO/3rds WHO @ 7yds drills

Target for all of the above was a 1.5" orange paster on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper stapled to an IDPA cardboard.

It's working.

Next week I plan on really getting into some drills and will pick up again in my training journal.

Tools of the trade:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List